62 career shutouts for Henrik Lundqvist

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
2011 Caps vs Rags= Neuvirth .946 to Hanks .917

Rangers got their teeth kicked in. He's the only reason it wasn't a sweep.

2012 Devils vs Rags= Brodeur .927% and above .900 in 5/6 games. Hank .917% and over .900 in 2/6 games.

Rangers got their teeth kicked in. He's the only reason it wasn't a sweep.

2013 Bruin vs Rags= Rask .936% and Hank with .918

He could have been better in game 2, but the Rangers were heavily outplayed and weren't winning this series with any goaltender

2014 Kings vs Rags= Quick .932 and Hank with .923 (holy crap, he actually posted a save % above .920 for once)

He was actually probably worse this series than the last three you posted, which goes to show you the value of stats over 5 game samples. Still, he wasn't bad. Pretty much won game 4 by himself.

2015 Tampa vs Rags= both Bishop and Hank post awful .902%

He had two really bad games in this series. He had 5 excellent games and the Rangers got shut out in two of their losses.

2016 Pens vs Rags= Rookie Matt Murray posts .955 to Hanks incredible .867 (Pay me 8.5MM and I'll post a better save percentage than that).

Worst series of his career, absolutely.

and in 2017 Hank posts .905 vs a mediocre Senators team.

Yes he was poor, but you're failing to mention that the only reason the Rangers were in this round is because he beat Montreal by himself in round 1.

This entire post is unfair. You're not bringing up series he won, his record in elimination games, or his record in game 7's. Every series here is a Rangers loss. Goalies very rarely post good stats in games they're losing over small samples.

I'm not one of those Rangers fans who thinks he's been on an AHL team his whole career or that he'd have 8 cups on another team, but he's definitely not the reason they haven't won. And there's a few series where he's they reason they did win. Yes, he's overpaid. He's really not overrated.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Lundqvist is the most overrated goalie out there. Doesn't even deserve HHOF. He's played on some stacked teams and has always choked in the playoffs. Pretty much every Rags playoffs exist has been due to Henrik getting outplayed by the opposing goalie.
Stacked teams? Thats just not true.... He has been the main reason for NYR success.
0,922 career save % in the playoffs.
0,920 career save % in the reg season.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Stacked teams? Thats just not true.... He has been the main reason for NYR success.
0,922 career save % in the playoffs.
0,920 career save % in the reg season.

Yeah, we can't ignore his contributions during the playoffs. The only reason New York has had tight games against their opponents is him.

Maurice Del Taco

Oct 13, 2015
I wouldn't count him out just yet. He still has some gas left in the tank.
Not a Rangers fan but Hank has always been a favorite of mine. Seems like a genuine nice guy.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Don't even bother responding to kmzandrew, he has a serious hate on for Lundqvist and nothing you can say will change that in any way. He also really hates the Jets as well for some reason, which really added a nice bit of added bonus to Saturday's game. :D

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Lundqvist is the most overrated goalie out there. Doesn't even deserve HHOF. He's played on some stacked teams and has always choked in the playoffs. Pretty much every Rags playoffs exist has been due to Henrik getting outplayed by the opposing goalie.

For the VAST majority of his career Hank has played on some real shithouse teams as it goes. Rangers don't make the playoffs half as many times as they did without Lundqvist.

Reactions: thepoeticgoblin

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
For the VAST majority of his career Hank has played on some real ****house teams as it goes. Rangers don't make the playoffs half as many times as they did without Lundqvist.

Lundqvist is not overrated; New York Rangers are. Usually, the Rangers have been a one or two-line team, and Lundqvist's been exceptionally helpful in their making the playoffs.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
During his prime in the playoff overtime games he lost the rangers could have played for days without scoring.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lundqvist is not overrated; New York Rangers are. Usually, the Rangers have been a one or two-line team, and Lundqvist's been exceptionally helpful in their making the playoffs.
This is basically true. Many years we've been carried by our goaltending (which in recent years has included contributions from guys like Talbot and Raanta) which inflated our win totals. Or, more accurately, made us appear to be better than the sum of the forwards + defensemen--as the goalie is part of the team and shouldn't be discounted when determining how good a team is. With the advent of the "fancystats," I'd often hear from opposing fan bases how our Corsi sucked, our PDO was high, whatever. And yet we won games in large part because of the reliable presence in net.

When it comes to the playoffs, Henrik has had some down series, but when you've played 128 playoff games over however many series, that seems likely to occur. There have been so many times over the years where I've said, "With as shitty as we looked in the last round, Henrik is going to have to steal 2-3 wins for us this round." And many times, he has. Other than the team that lost in the Finals and the teams the lost in the ECF to the Devils (when the entire teams appeared to be dead on their feet), I don't recall any real "powerhouse" Rangers teams. The rest of the teams have been good, made occasionally really good by the play of Lundqvist. Maybe with a couple teams that were mediocre, made good by Lundqvist, thrown into the mix.

He has been consistently excellent throughout his career. His first "bad" season was last year at age 34 when he had a .910 SV%. He's just been really good every year, which is what makes him great overall. That consistency. Unfortunately, he's only played on one or two teams that should be considered "legitimate" contenders for a Cup and neither he nor the team could pull it off. All those other years, the other playoff exits, the only way we win a Cup is if he steals four complete series. Maybe other guys have been able to do that and he hasn't, but I can't really fault him for that.

He has picked up the team so many times over the years, regular season and playoffs, and it seems like rarely do they pick him up. Literally countless times, even on the "good" teams, the team looked like hot garbage (especially under Torts) but he'd bail them out. Then the next game he'd give up a bad goal and the team would have no response. It's like they depend on him to be near-flawless and if he's not they fold like a tent. That he's been able to accomplish as much as he has with some of the disasters in front of him that he's had to deal with is impressive.

He's my favorite player, favorite since Richter. I obviously desperately want to see him win a Cup here but recognize the diminishing likelihood of that, as his play is starting to slip. At this point I wish he could be moved somewhere that he'd have a better shot. But, he has a big contract that probably prevents him from being moved; and what "contender" would even need him? So he'll probably retire without a Cup, which is sad, but he shouldn't have any regrets.

TL;DR the Rangers have rarely been "that good" and Hank has always bailed them out. That he couldn't steal an entire playoff isn't something I hold against him.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Which are these stacked teams you are talking about?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I can only see him getting to 14th. And even that's a maybe. His play just isnt where it needs to be anymore. If it wasn't for his KHL contract, Lundqvist might already have been battling for the crease with Shestyorkin.

After next year the King will give way to the Emperor.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
thomas only played like 6 seasons in the nhl. lunqvist played 6 before thomas was in the nhl and will play 6 after thomas is out of the nhl.
You don't into the hall of fame by winning participation awards. If your argument is longevity then Chris Osgood and Curtis Joseph should be in and Cam Neely and Ken Dryden should be out. Tim Thomas played in 8 seasons of 35 or more games played. He accomplished more than Lundqvist will ever have in his "storied" career.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You don't into the hall of fame by winning participation awards. If your argument is longevity then Chris Osgood and Curtis Joseph should be in and Cam Neely and Ken Dryden should be out. Tim Thomas played in 8 seasons of 35 or more games played. He accomplished more than Lundqvist will ever have in his "storied" career.
well lundqvist ranks pretty high on the all time wins and shutouts lists which is pretty impressive. curtis joesph should be in the hall of fame for sure, idk why he isn't

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Roy's total is kinda surprisingly low.

I have no clue where he'll end up. Shutouts and injuries are impossible to predict.

That`s because Patrick Roy peaked during one of the highest-scoring eras in hockey history. From 1986 to 1994, he had more shutouts than any other goalie (27; Belfour had 23; and nobody else had more than 16).

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
That's cool. Lesser goalies have done similar (won multiple playoff games in a row) that didn't go to OT. Some goalies have a longer playoff shutout streak than Roy ever had and aren't even close to the same level . Roy was great, he has some great stats and some fun facts like the one you posted. But some random fun facts like that don't make him elite IMO. For instance Roman Turek won 42 games in a season once. Roy never did that. Brent Johnson went 3+ games in the playoffs with a shutout. Roy never did that.

Fun facts don't make any individual a better player.

Although an impressive accomplishment, I agree the "ten straight OT wins" is closer to trivia than a serious argument

Going back to 1984, there have only been 17 times when a goalie posted an era-adjusted save percentage of 93.0% or greater (with a minimum of 1,000 minutes played - which effectively limits this to goalies who take their team to at least the conference finals).

Patrick Roy singlehandedly has four of those 17 seasons (including three of the top seven). Taking into account his peak, consistency and longevity, Roy was by far the best playoff goalie of the past three decades.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Although an impressive accomplishment, I agree the "ten straight OT wins" is closer to trivia than a serious argument

Going back to 1984, there have only been 17 times when a goalie posted an era-adjusted save percentage of 93.0% or greater (with a minimum of 1,000 minutes played - which effectively limits this to goalies who take their team to at least the conference finals).

Patrick Roy singlehandedly has four of those 17 seasons (including three of the top seven). Taking into account his peak, consistency and longevity, Roy was by far the best playoff goalie of the past three decades.
An argument could be made for this given the runs he went on. When he was on he was definitely on. But he definitely wasn't the most consistent. There were times where he absolutely killed us with his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad