Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Why is Brown in this lineup exactly?

Ya got me. He does nothing and is the most invisible player I've seen in a while.

For the most part our coaches have been getting better with their lineup choices, but they still manage to make some puzzling moves.

Reactions: Bileur

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The were saying on the radio Tkachuk is out, so that sucks but I'm glad Sokolov is getting a shot
I'm glad they are giving him a rest. He needs it. He needs to recharge at least. Have not heard why he's out specifically but he hasn't been able to bring it the last couple for what ever reason. I would not doubt if he's been dinged up for a while.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why is Brown in this lineup exactly?

Better question is why did we trade for him in the first place?

Patrick Brown is the textbook definition of a waiver wire quality player. Not NHL level at basically anything but faceoffs, which is actually something we're not in desperate need of since Giroux and Kastelic are two of the better faceoff men in the league.

Hilarious indictment of our pro scouting staff (and DJ for that matter) that they thought Brown and Gambrell were worthy of trading picks for, while passing on superior players on the waiver wire consistently.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Better question is why did we trade for him in the first place?

Patrick Brown is the textbook definition of a waiver wire quality player. Not NHL level at basically anything but faceoffs, which is actually something we're not in desperate need of since Giroux and Kastelic are two of the better faceoff men in the league.

Hilarious indictment of our pro scouting staff (and DJ for that matter) that they thought Brown and Gambrell were worthy of trading picks for, while passing on superior players on the waiver wire consistently.
Dorion is where the buck stops; don't forget his role!

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, maybe. I'm not the biggest Soko supporter. Like I said, let's see how his skating is.
I am looking forward to seeing Sokolov play again. Might as well give him an opportunity to show what he can do at the NHL level during these "meaningful games"! :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought he was fine in the little ice time he had given they were playing catchup all game & had that six minute PK. His lack of speed seems exagerated on here & just constantly repeated by some IMO & he got around the ice fast enough, they need to give him more games. He had two good opportunities to score right in front of the net, he's a big body & hard to push off the puck. I would much rather have him in this lineup than Brown, Gambrell, Kelly, Gauthier or even Joseph who has the speed but does nothing with it, he just doesn't have the offence we need in the bottom six.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I had zero expectations for Soko. I figured he would be invisible but to my surprise, I noticed him. He was doing his best but is not able to actually make an impact. Maybe with time, but I doubt he has a future at the NHL level.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My expectations for Soko were tempered at best but last nights game was a minute sample size to assess him personally. DJ shortened his bench. He got just over 4 minutes between the 2nd and 3rd periods and I did not have my eyes glued on him specifically or as specifically as the coaching staff would. If Joseph is nursing something .. I would shut him down for a game and get Sokolov a regular 3rd line shift .. at least play him to what Pinto is getting as the 3C.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sokolov has no acceleration and poor edges. He is not anything more than a career AHL guy.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think Soko is going to be a journeyman player. Guy really wants to play in this league and I think he will keep improving himself even if it takes another 2-3 years.

What sucks for us more than him is he will have to clear waivers next year. Waste of a second round pick but I can't be angry I see what the scouts were going for with this one. Best of Luck Egor.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I like him as a person, but he doesn't have NHL determination. There was play last night where he caused a decent play to lead to a scramble in front of the net and during it, he opted to pull back out of the chaos and take adjust his helmet instead of using his 6'3 frame to out battle guys and dig at the puck with two hands on his stick. That play reminded me of a Filatov yawn, just not engaged at all. Really unfortunate.

Reactions: bicboi64

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Could have gotten Eli Tolvanen via waivers for free on 12 December.
Age 23 (24 in April), 5'10". 191 lbs. $1.450 AAV, under contract to end of 2023-24 season,
Games Goals. Assists Points
55. 17. 12. 29
Yeah very obvious miss my dorion on that one. I would really like to know the rational on some moves. But I was told by hf Sens tolvanen was just an offensive ahler

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We didn't see much of him but in the limited amount we saw, we didn't see much.

I didn't see anything that says to me he can play at an NHL pace.

Yeah very obvious miss my dorion on that one. I would really like to know the rational on some moves. But I was told by hf Sens tolvanen was just an offensive ahler
I think the obvious miss was by David Poile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad