Post-Game Talk: #61 | Flyers at Devils | February 25, 2023

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think people are expect that there are real expectations for a undermanned lineup.

This had nothing to do with that. They played with the Devils for half the game. Then they resort to doing stupid shit and brainless hockey under AV. That has nothing to do with talent level or ability. That’s just being a bunch of dipshit losers who only know how to lose and when they knew they were going to lose and decided they were going to prove themselves right and keep doing stupid shit. No backbones.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
Oh please.

The same fans who claim to be pissed because Fletcher won’t say the magic word “rebuild” & won’t trade away everything of value on the roster for draft picks, also are pissed that they didn’t sign a 30 y/o Gaudreau to a 7 year $9.5M per cap hit. Are also pissed they didn’t keep Giroux & still pretend Tippett & a ‘24 1st was a bad trade instead of terrific under the circumstances.

Fans are fickle, & if a team isn’t winning they’re going to complain & pick scapegoats no matter what.
So what your saying is that you are a liar? Because you said yourself if we were in this exact boat you'd be done, but here we are yet again with you running to chuckles defense, are you a liar sir?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh please.

The same fans who claim to be pissed because Fletcher won’t say the magic word “rebuild” & won’t trade away everything of value on the roster for draft picks, also are pissed that they didn’t sign a 30 y/o Gaudreau to a 7 year $9.5M per cap hit. Are also pissed they didn’t keep Giroux & still pretend Tippett & a ‘24 1st was a bad trade instead of terrific under the circumstances.

Fans are fickle, & if a team isn’t winning they’re going to complain & pick scapegoats no matter what.

You're lying.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Oh please.

Oh please.

You're continual defense off this organization and how they run things is inexcusable. They've gotten significantly worse year after year under Schmuck's watch. That's not deniable. When he became GM, he was flush with cap space, draft picks and prospects and in that time, he's pissed away everything. The Flyers have no cap space, prospects are several years away and he continues to double down on this stupid quest for a playoff spot.

You continually say that people need to find someone to scapegoat. Schmuck has made that easy because he's been terrible. And you know what, when he was hired, I had high expectations because even though he was dismal in Minnesota, he was still working in the league with good management people and I thought (quite incorrectly) that he would be able to right the ship. He's tanked the team. The fact you bury your head in the sand about this is laughable.

What's even sadder is that his job as the GM is to be the focal point of the franchise and determine what direction the club has to go in. He hasn't done that. As much as I dislike Tortorella, he's at least had the balls to step up and tell things for what they are. Schmuck has hid like a coward and won't answer for the mess he's made (and partly because the 'media types' refuse to give him tough questions). That's YOUR leader in action.

No, this place needs a full f***ing house cleaning. Schmuck's head needs to be on the chopping block, along with Nature Boy, Clarke, Holmgren, Lombardi, and the rest of hockey operations.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So what your saying is that you are a liar? Because you said yourself if we were in this exact boat you'd be done, but here we are yet again with you running to chuckles defense, are you a liar sir?
LOL. What “exact boat” is that?

You’re contending I said that if I were satisfied with the Flyers’ progress I’d be “done” with them? And calling *me* a liar? LMAO.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
What happened to Scott's: " We only need three more players to make it to the playoffs"

Are we in the part of swamp where even birds don't chirp........??????

Very Sad Indeed. Bittersweet memories.........

1677427993740.png

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Oh please.

You're continual defense off this organization and how they run things is inexcusable. They've gotten significantly worse year after year under Schmuck's watch. That's not deniable. When he became GM, he was flush with cap space, draft picks and prospects and in that time, he's pissed away everything. The Flyers have no cap space, prospects are several years away and he continues to double down on this stupid quest for a playoff spot.

You continually say that people need to find someone to scapegoat. Schmuck has made that easy because he's been terrible. And you know what, when he was hired, I had high expectations because even though he was dismal in Minnesota, he was still working in the league with good management people and I thought (quite incorrectly) that he would be able to right the ship. He's tanked the team. The fact you bury your head in the sand about this is laughable.

What's even sadder is that his job as the GM is to be the focal point of the franchise and determine what direction the club has to go in. He hasn't done that. As much as I dislike Tortorella, he's at least had the balls to step up and tell things for what they are. Schmuck has hid like a coward and won't answer for the mess he's made (and partly because the 'media types' refuse to give him tough questions). That's YOUR leader in action.

No, this place needs a full f***ing house cleaning. Schmuck's head needs to be on the chopping block, along with Nature Boy, Clarke, Holmgren, Lombardi, and the rest of hockey operations.
Fletcher had 7.6 mil in cap space and his roster was this:

Forwards:

• Claude Giroux
  • Sean Couturier
  • Travis Konecny
  • Jakub Voracek
  • James van Riemsdyk
  • Wayne Simmonds
  • Nolan Patrick
  • Oskar Lindblom
  • Michael Raffl
  • Scott Laughton
  • Jori Lehtera
  • Dale Weise
  • Phil Varone
  • Corban Knight
Defensemen:

• Shayne Gostisbehere
  • Ivan Provorov
  • Andrew MacDonald
  • Radko Gudas
  • Robert Hagg
  • Christian Folin
  • Travis Sanheim
Goaltenders:

• Brian Elliott
  • Anthony Stolarz
  • Michal Neuvirth

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Once again I see people blaming the 4th liners & 3rd pair defensemen.

The Flyers 4th line & 3rd pair aren’t at a disadvantage vs. other teams’ 4th lines & 3rd pairs.

It’s higher up in the lineup where they’re at a significant disadvantage, especially without Couturier, TK, & Atkinson (& Ellis).

Cates and Frost aren’t 1 & 2 Cs.

Farabee doesn’t even look like an NHLer, let alone scoring line player.

Laughton isn’t a top 6 player. Hayes has been non-existent since the All-Star game.

Provorov isn’t a #1D. Sanhero isn’t a #2 or #3 D.

A lot of early picks here who show that early picks are damn far from a guarantee of a high-end top-of-the-lineup player.

But this shouldn’t be news. They were a bottom-10 team *with* TK.

For some reason, though, when they play like a bottom-10 team, the same people who harp on how bad they are act shocked, dismayed, & as if they’re underperforming.
So, you're saying it's an organizational problem?

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Virtually every decision CF had made has been the wrong one. The one move where he did descent was Giroux, given the NMC. But make no mistake, if he negotiated the Giroux contract it would have most definitely contained a NMC. Flyers GM lineage traces back to Clarke; it is in their DNA to over pay 30-year olds with max term and the NMC as the cherry on top.

Reactions: renberg

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Fletcher had 7.6 mil in cap space and his roster was this:

Forwards:

• Claude Giroux
  • Sean Couturier
  • Travis Konecny
  • Jakub Voracek
  • James van Riemsdyk
  • Wayne Simmonds
  • Nolan Patrick
  • Oskar Lindblom
  • Michael Raffl
  • Scott Laughton
  • Jori Lehtera
  • Dale Weise
  • Phil Varone
  • Corban Knight
Defensemen:

• Shayne Gostisbehere
  • Ivan Provorov
  • Andrew MacDonald
  • Radko Gudas
  • Robert Hagg
  • Christian Folin
  • Travis Sanheim
Goaltenders:

• Brian Elliott
  • Anthony Stolarz
  • Michal Neuvirth
Fletcher took over mid-season. Having $7.6 million available in cap space during the season? Incredible and should have been used to their advantage that year, namely cap dumps to secure better prospects and picks. And when you consider that a number of those contacts were coming off the books in the summer, there was even more money available. Yeah, Fletcher dropped the ball BIG TIME.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Oh please.

I think folks in the rebuild camp are split on Gaudreau.

But the criticism is about the lack of coherence. If it's "NOT TIME TO COMPETE" then almost every one of Fletcher's other moves makes no sense. Three picks and $5m for a one-dimensional defenseman who sucks (and who we all knew sucked before he was brought in), $1.7m x 4 for a dumbass goon, $5m x 5 for another garbage defenseman. Locking up Sanheim, Couturier, and others like Farabee before to long-term deals...

The point people make about Gaudreau is that IF you were trying to ice a semi-competitive product, THAT was the move to make. Even if the plan wasn't to compete in 2022-33, you'd have him for 7 years and could flip assets for young roster talent to build a little faster. They could've had THAT guy (and/or Giroux for that matter), but they decided to spend the same money on more albatrosses and bullshit that doesn't make them a better team.

That's the point, and you probably know that.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020

But the criticism is about the lack of coherence. If it's "NOT TIME TO COMPETE" then almost every one of Fletcher's other moves makes no sense. Three picks and $5m for a one-dimensional defenseman who sucks (and who we all knew sucked before he was brought in), $1.7m x 4 for a dumbass goon, $5m x 5 for another garbage defenseman. Locking up Sanheim, Couturier, and others like Farabee before to long-term deals...

The point people make about Gaudreau is that IF you were trying to ice a semi-competitive product, THAT was the move to make. Even if the plan wasn't to compete in 2022-33, you'd have him for 7 years and could flip assets for young roster talent to build a little faster. They could've had THAT guy (and/or Giroux for that matter), but they decided to spend the same money on more albatrosses and bullshit that doesn't make them a better team.

He knows what the point was, he just makes it a point to ball wash the front office no matter what

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
LOL. What “exact boat” is that?

You’re contending I said that if I were satisfied with the Flyers’ progress I’d be “done” with them? And calling *me* a liar? LMAO.
The boat in which we are in, bottom 7 in the league, having several big losing streaks, fletchers roster failing, you know exactly which boat we are talking about, but again, you can't bring yourself to admit chuckles has royal f***ed this organization

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
So, you're saying it's an organizational problem?
I’m saying:

1. Too many people act as if first round picks = studs, when few work out that way.

2. That said, you can’t have as many misses as the Flyers have had, & you need a couple huge hits over a large span of years, or you end up where the Flyers are now.

Even the Flyers early round “hits” the last decade aren’t anything special. So yes, this has been an organizational problem since Couturier at 7th overall in 2011.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

We’re basically getting the Hextall plan all over but they’re investing future cap space & draft capital at a pretty good rate on players who just aren’t good enough or flat just suck. We also don’t have a prime Giroux or Voracek on the roster or in within the system. They’re bottoming out but that’s not by intention, that’s really the only part where they look like a rebuilding team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Exactly this. I didn't/don't think the team really needs JG because they're at least a decade away from fixing themselves.

But the team thinks they're contending. That's what the TDA move was about. What it signalled. So for a "contending" team to pass on JG throwing himself at them is unbelievably dumb.

It's a no win for the team really. It's terrible that they're in a situation where JG is irrelevant, and also terrible that they think they're contenders and on top of that, didn't go for him.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

It’s been explained countless times but the stance and other stances continue to be misrepresented so the only logical thing to take from that they said person is just being intentionally disingenuous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad