GDT: #61: FLYERS at Blue Jackets, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS (30-19-12) vs. PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (33-20-7)
nRhoPog.jpg
th

BROADCAST INFORMATION

TEAMS' WEBSITES
GAME PREVIEW, NOTES and STATISTICS
TEAMS' STATISTICS
Team GPRecordPts HomeAwayGFGAPP%PK%FO%
Blue Jackets6130-19-127218-11-312-8-915615216.482.548.7
Flyers 6033-20-77320-5-413-15-319317320.181.854.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

images
Possible Lineup
Lines

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier -- 93 Jake Voracek
49 Joel Farabee -- 13 Kevin Hayes --
11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk -- 21 Scott Laughton -- 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl
-- 82 Connor Bunnaman -- 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
Pairings
9 Ivan Provorov -- 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -- 5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hagg -- 59 Mark Friedman
Goalies
79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott is the starter.
Power Plays
PP1: Claude Giroux, Sean Couturier, Jake Voracek, Travis Konecny, Ivan Provorov
PP2: James van Riemsdyk, Kevin Hayes, Scott Laughton, Travis Sanheim, Matt Niskanen

Injuries and Scratches

19 Nolan Patrick (migraine disorder, Sep. 26) was transferred from injured/non-roster to LTIR Nov.22. He could return at some point this season (Jan. 14 update). He is progressing and partipated in a no-contact practice on Monday but could be sent to the AHL prior to any NHL appearances this season (Feb. 17).
23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing’s sarcoma [bone cancer], Dec. 13) is on LTIR and will not return to play this season. He began treatments in early January.

53 Shayne Gostisbehere (stiffness in knee, pain from scar tissue) is day-to-day. He returned for one game following arthroscopic left knee surgery performed on Jan. 14 but has not played since. He was sent to the AHL for conditioning on Thursday (Feb. 20).
55 Sam Morin (torn right ACL during AHL conditioning stint, Nov. 6) is on LTIR and expected out for the rest of the season.
59 Mark Friedman (healthy) was recalled from AHL on Feb. 19 and will replace Justin Braun (ill).
62 Justin Braun (ill, Feb. 19) will not play at Columbus.

MEDIA CONTACTS
Athletic, The
Courier Post of South Jersey
Hockey Buzz
NBC Sports Philadelphia
Web site -- Flyers
NHL.com
Adam Kimelman's Twitter -- Adam Kimelman (@NHLAdamK) | Twitter
Philadelphia Daily News and Inquirer
Web site -- Philadelphia Flyers
Sam Carchidi's Twitter -- Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) | Twitter

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

th
Possible Lineup
Lines

71 Nick Foligno --18 Pierre-Luc Dubois -- 28 Oliver Bjorkstrand
14 Gustav Nyquist -- 11 Kevin Stenlund -- 52 Emil Bemstrom
23 Stefan Matteau -- 38 Boone Jenner -- 24 Nathan Gerbe
50 Eric Robinson -- 20 Riley Nash -- 50 Jakob Lilja
Pairings
8 Zach Werenski -- 65 Markus Nutivaara
44 Vladislav Gavrikov -- 58 David Savard
4 Scott Harrington -- 2 Andrew Peake
Goalies
80 Matīss Kivlenieks
90 Elvis Merzlikins is the starter.

Power Plays:

PP1: Nick Foligno, Pierre-Luc Dubois, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Emil Bemstrom, Zach Werenski
PP2: Gustav Nyquist, Boone Jenner, TBD (was Sonny Milano), Kevin Stenlund, Markus Nutivaara

Injuries and Scratches

3 Seth Jones (fractured ankle, Feb. 9, surgery) is on injured reserve. He is expected out 8-to-10 weeks.
10 Alexander Wennberg (upper body, Feb. 1) is on injured reserve. He is expected out 3-to-4 weeks from the date of injury.
13 Cam Atkinson (sprained ankle, Feb. 9) is day-to-day. He is expected out 2-to-3 weeks.

17 Brandon Dubinsky (wrist, Sep. 24) is on injured reserve.
22 Sonny Milano (healthy) will be scratche d.
27 Ryan Murray (upper body, Dec. 13) is on injured reserve.

42 Alexandre Texier (lumbar stress fracture, Dec. 31) is on injured reserve.
46 Dean Kukan (torn meniscus knee, Jan. 2) is on injured reserve. He is out indefinitely.
53 Gabriel Carlsson (healthy) could be scratched.
70 Joonas Korpisalo (torn meniscus knee, Dec. 28) is day-to-day. He could return this month.

77 Josh Anderson (shoulder, Dec. 13) is on injured reserve. He could return by the end of this month.
MEDIA CONTACTS
1st Ohio Battery
Web site -- 1st Ohio Battery
Rob Mixer's Twitter -- Rob Mixer (@RobMixer) | Twitter
Athletic, The
Web site -- Blue Jackets - The Athletic
Alison L's Twitter -- Alison (@AlisonL) | Twitter
Aaron Portzline's Twitter --
Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) | Twitter
Tom Reed's Twitter -- Tom Reed (@treed1919) | Twitter
Blue Jackets Radio Network
Columbus Blue Jackets
Jeff Svoboda's Twitter -- Jeff Svoboda (@JacketsInsider) | Twitter
Columbus Dispatch
Fox Sports Ohio

FLYERS' UPCOMING SCHEDULE (subject to change)

DateOpponentTime (ET)Television
Saturday, February 22 vs. Winnipeg 1:00 pm NHLN, SN, NBCSP
Tuesday, February 25 vs. San Jose 7:00 pmNBCSP, NBCSCA
Friday, February 28 vs. NY Rangers 7:00 pmNHLN, SN, TVAS, NBCSP, MSG
Sunday, March 1at NY Rangers 12:00 pm NBC, TVAS
Wednesday, March 4 at Washington 7:00 pm NBCSN, TVAS
Thursday, March 5 vs. Carolina 7:00 pm NBCSN, NBCSP
Saturday, March 7 vs. Buffalo 7:00 pm NBCSP, MSG-B
Tuesday, March 10 vs. Boston 7:00 pm NBCSN, SN, NBCSP, NESN
Thursday, March 12 at Tampa Bay 7:00 pm SNE, SNO, SNP, TVAS, SUN, NBCSP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FROM THE PAST

GAME DAY THREAD MUSIC
"My City was Gone" by The Pretenders

Last edited:

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Biggest game of the year?
Probably, given the standings and how insane good the Metro is this year
With that said the Flyers need to bring it and know CBJ are not going to lay down, a win here would be another step in the right direction and one we all have been waiting for them to take, hopefully they take their meds so the bi-polar team doesn’t show up
Just win!!!!

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
In the previous game day thread I was ask how my post was a get Provorov less time at even strength ice time post...

Here's my rationale.

1) They aren't putting Ghost on the right side of either of the top two pairs as it seems they are comfortable with Nisky and Myers there now. I know ... The coaches are IDIOTS....

2) They like Sanheim on pair 2 with Myers. If that pair loses time to pair three it would be complained about...

So where is this time for Ghost coming from ....

Ghost is 3LD (when healthy) if you can't understand that then I can't help you. He's getting favorable forward deployment at 5v5 even if that isn't believed by some.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Let‘s not get over-excited. We just have won 5-1 against an injury-plagued competitor mostly based upon lucky bounces. I’ll take it because puck luck was something we were missing during the first couple of weeks this season, but it won‘t happen again. We need to be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghosts Beer

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Let‘s not get over-excited. We just habe ein 5-1 against an injury-plagued competitor mostly based upon lucky bounces. I’ll take it because puck luck was something we were missing during the first couple of weeks this season, but it won‘t happen again. We need to be better.

Don't see anyone over excited. All I see is asking for another win and another 2 points. Even the Mortal Kombat reference isn't an excited take. It's pretty much saying we got a wounded opponent and you have to put them away.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
In the previous game day thread I was ask how my post was a get Provorov less time at even strength ice time post...

Here's my rationale.

1) They aren't putting Ghost on the right side of either of the top two pairs as it seems they are comfortable with Nisky and Myers there now. I know ... The coaches are IDIOTS....

2) They like Sanheim on pair 2 with Myers. If that pair loses time to pair three it would be complained about...

So where is this time for Ghost coming from ....

Ghost is 3LD (when healthy) if you can't understand that then I can't help you. He's getting favorable forward deployment at 5v5 even if that isn't believed by some.
the answer is that you have to try something else. Something to get him going. You mention they like Sanheim with Myers, but that pairing probably isn't a thing if Braun isn't injured. We have seen what Ghost is capable of. It is tough to understand why being creative with some pairings hasn't been worth trying.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
the answer is that you have to try something else. Something to get him going. You mention they like Sanheim with Myers, but that pairing probably isn't a thing if Braun isn't injured. We have seen what Ghost is capable of. It is tough to understand why being creative with some pairings hasn't been worth trying.
I don't believe that the Sanheim Myers pair couldn't have become a thing if Braun didn't get injured. AV seems to have taken a liking to Myers since the Worlds last spring. If Myers performed the way AV wanted he would probably move him up as he earned the time.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Let‘s not get over-excited. We just habe ein 5-1 against an injury-plagued competitor mostly based upon lucky bounces. I’ll take it because puck luck was something we were missing during the first couple of weeks this season, but it won‘t happen again. We need to be better.

Yes and no. The Myers goal was a lucky bounce, but one that he was absolutely looking for by putting the puck there. The Konecny goal was a tip and happened exactly as he intended. The Couturier goal could well have been intended.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Sanheim was playing with Myers before Braun got hurt.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I don't believe that the Sanheim Myers pair couldn't have become a thing if Braun didn't get injured. AV seems to have taken a liking to Myers since the Worlds last spring. If Myers performed the way AV wanted he would probably move him up as he earned the time.
Believe what you want, but I think it is obvious. I never said Myers couldnt move up the lineup on his own, I said Braun's injury forced them to change their top 4 and as a result found a pairing that is working quite well. The pair didn't have their best when they first became a thing. They developed together into a nice pairing which IMO is why they're still together.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yes and no. The Myers goal was a lucky bounce, but one that he was absolutely looking for by putting the puck there. The Konecny goal was a tip and happened exactly as he intended. The Couturier goal could well have been intended.

Yeh, with Myers even if it does not hit the Dman Raffl was backdoor, right in the line of the pass, with an EN.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Injuries did allow Hagg to get back in the lineup. From the time of Myers recall until when Braun and then Ghost got hurt, Hagg only played 13 out of 31 games at 14:23. A #7 dman wearing #8.

NHL.com Stats

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think AV planned on Myers moving past Braun at some point, when he was ready.

Braun was a good "nursemaid" for Sanheim while Myers worked on his game, yes, there was definitely a "veteran mentor" component to the Braun trade, which in light of TDL prices for stay at home 2nd/3rd pair D-men who aren't as good, wasn't that much of an overpay.

I suspect part of Hagg's improved play recently is due to pairing with Braun, while skill wise they're not a good fit (neither is a puck mover or great passer), Hagg's aggressiveness on offense may be due to Braun letting him know when he's got protection.

Braun is physically limited at this point in his career, though he can still skate, but his positioning and stickwork are excellent, which is how he breaks up plays.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeh, with Myers even if it does not hit the Dman Raffl was backdoor, right in the line of the pass, with an EN.

Which we know means nothing with Raffl...lol. He seems to miss easy ones, then will score a very nice goal where he does all of the work.

This is a big game to win. We need our best effort and don't shit the bed in the 1st period. Make them play catchup instead of with the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad