GDT: #61 – Sabres at Avalanche – Sat Feb 25, 10:00PM ET – MSG-B

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
This is a collection of people that still has not legislated pogoing into hits out of the game so long as the tip of your toe is on the ice, they want to preserve hockey as blood sport in any way possible.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Average goaltending wins the game. Lehner was putrid. He is a choker, pure and simple.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I don't follow your argument here. What separates those other leagues from the NHL isn't that their officiating is great and the NHL's sucks. NFL officiating is not exactly celebrated, every football season in the Bills thread people are constantly complaining about calls or non-calls. MLB umpires routinely disrupt games by going on power trips and ejecting players for no reason. I'm not sure where to even start with the NBA where Tim Donaghey was a referee for 13 years.

The one thing the NFL does is call penalties throughout the game. If a team commits an egregious pass interference, do the refs not call it because the team who committed the infraction already has 8 penalties called on them and the other team was only flagged twice? No, that is never the case and they will throw the flag. All referees/umps blow calls throughout the 4 major sports, but the NHL is on a whole different level. Unlike the NHL the refs protect the star players. The NHL celebrates the big, strong Neanderthal type play as "old time hockey". The league was at its best in 05-07. Once they totally flipped the script and let obstruction go is when the play on the ice has deteriorated to the garbage we see today. And the Donaghy thing is what I really don't understand being brought up...like the NBA condoned a ref betting on and changing outcomes of games because he was affiliated with the Gambinos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad