Prospect Info: 60th Overall, Albert Johansson, LD

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Thank you for posting/translating those Swedish articles.

Would be cool if one of our beat writers could give us an update on where he’s actually at?
No disrespect to our beatwriters, but there from a different generation and us fans are way more clued in when in comes to our prospects in general. The appeal to authority has never been more of a fallacy.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
No disrespect to our beatwriters, but there from a different generation and us fans are way more clued in when in comes to our prospects in general. The appeal to authority has never been more of a fallacy.
To be honest, I doubt anyone that watches SHL has given one thought about what weight a certain player has.
I think it's very interesting how little you talk about the players development and instead focus on stats and I get that you can't and probably don't want to follow the SHL on a game to game basis but for those of us that has done so, Albert, no matter how much the scale shows, just became champion in a team that used his (and others of course) strengths to outmaneuver the top 3 seeded teams.

He hit, he threw punches and first and foremost, he played against men that outweigh him by a mile but he did so by playing his game, using his strengths and showed that he had learned something from last season and what it takes to win championships. He used in PP, BP and 5 on 5, he played against the other teams top lines and I doubt that anyone that saw EVERY game he's played the last 3 seasons has thought about what he weighs.

But sure, he will not become a worse player if he put on a couple of pounds but that is not what will take him to the NHL. That is his hockey IQ, his skating, the gap control and that he's used to playing against and knowing how to win against men like 209 lbs Dennis Everberg.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Average weight in the league was about 198lbs this season.

Close enough to 200, lol. Last time I checked I thought it was over 200, I remember Dmen being higher than forwards.

168lb defenseman isn't gonna cut it, even Hughes is listed at 180 and he's not in the league for his defensive skills.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
To be honest, I doubt anyone that watches SHL has given one thought about what weight a certain player has.
I think it's very interesting how little you talk about the players development and instead focus on stats and I get that you can't and probably don't want to follow the SHL on a game to game basis but for those of us that has done so, Albert, no matter how much the scale shows, just became champion in a team that used his (and others of course) strengths to outmaneuver the top 3 seeded teams.

He hit, he threw punches and first and foremost, he played against men that outweigh him by a mile but he did so by playing his game, using his strengths and showed that he had learned something from last season and what it takes to win championships. He used in PP, BP and 5 on 5, he played against the other teams top lines and I doubt that anyone that saw EVERY game he's played the last 3 seasons has thought about what he weighs.

But sure, he will not become a worse player if he put on a couple of pounds but that is not what will take him to the NHL. That is his hockey IQ, his skating, the gap control and that he's used to playing against and knowing how to win against men like 209 lbs Dennis Everberg.
dude ive been chief in the camp that i think albert is nhl ready, even more so then Edvinsson. I watched a boat load of SHL this year and especially enjoyed the payoffs, it was a great reprieve from a bad Red Wings team.

I was actually really disappointed with Albert's start to this season, i thought it his played had regressed when compared to how he played for the majority of the previous season. But then like the rest of the Farjestad squad, I was super impressed with Albert's ability to turn it around in the second half of the season with him kicking it up to higher gear in the playoffs.

I hope he doesn't add too much weight. I want him to be able to keep his agility and pure speed.

Edit: Also congrats on the championship, Farjested's been a really fun watch over the last two years.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
dude ive been chief in the camp that i think albert is nhl ready, even more so then Edvinsson. I watched a boat load of SHL this year and especially enjoyed the payoffs, it was a great reprieve from a bad Red Wings team.

I was actually really disappointed with Albert's start to this season, i thought it his played had regressed when compared to how he played for the majority of the previous season. But then like the rest of the Farjestad squad, I was super impressed with Albert's ability to turn it around in the second half of the season with him kicking it up to higher gear in the playoffs.

I hope he doesn't add too much weight. I want him to be able to keep his agility and pure speed.

Edit: Also congrats on the championship, Farjested's been a really fun watch over the last two years.

You realize at 168lbs he would be tied for the 4th lightest player in the NHL?

Only Johnny Hockey, Yamamoto, and Marchessault are lighter. (There may be some rookies I might have missed though)

He absolutely has to bulk up, no way he's clearing the crease at 170lbs, he's gonna make DDK look like the Hulk.
(For reference Stecher is listed at 184lbs, and he couldn't move anyone.)

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
You realize at 168lbs he would be tied for the 4th lightest player in the NHL?

Only Johnny Hockey, Yamamoto, and Marchessault are lighter. (There may be some rookies I might have missed though)

He absolutely has to bulk up, no way he's clearing the crease at 170lbs, he's gonna make DDK look like the Hulk.
(For reference Stecher is listed at 184lbs, and he couldn't move anyone.)
You realise he's not actually 168 atm that measurements like 3 years old my dude.

And I also didn't say I dont want him to not get stronger at all, it just needs to be the right amount.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You realise he's not actually 168 atm that measurements like 3 years old my dude.

And I also didn't say I dont want him to not get stronger at all, it just needs to be the right amount.
Don't we need to know what he is now before we say what he is going to do next year?

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Don't we need to know what he is now before we say what he is going to do next year?
I dont think it should be the biggest determining factor.

But we should be able to talk about his play without it boiling down to 3 year old data.

Look at how well he handled the rigors of professional mens hockey this season, combined with his underlying skill and talent. The Wings have massive holes on the left side of defense and I'd like to blood our young defenders sooner rather than later. I dont see much point of playing at the Ahl level when I think the SHL is such a comparable level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I dont think it should be the biggest determining factor.

But we should be able to talk about his play without it boiling down to 3 year old data.

Look at how well he handled the rigors of professional mens hockey this season, combined with his underlying skill and talent. The Wings have massive holes on the left side of defense and I'd like to blood our young defenders sooner rather than later. I dont see much point of playing at the Ahl level when I think the SHL is such a comparable level.
Of course it’s a factor. He’s a defenseman.

Y’all don’t remember Adam Almqvist struggling to gain weight and coming over to North America and getting manhandled? You can succeed in the SHL with a different build than you can the NHL. There are plenty of examples of this.

These aren’t just concerns people have for no reason.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018

Y’all don’t remember Adam Almqvist struggling to gain weight and coming over to North America and getting manhandled? You can succeed in the SHL with a different build than you can the NHL. There are plenty of examples of this.

Not to dig you out but you need to read better. I said it shouldn't be the biggest determining factor. Not that it has no part to play. But I don't think it's as important as you and Buttkrack are making it out to be.

Almqvist didn't just make the NHL because he was lightweight. He also couldn't skate. Also completely different era of Red Wings hockey, when Adam was trying to break through compared to Albert.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not to dig you out but you need to read better. I said it shouldn't be the biggest determining factor. Not that it has no part to play. But I don't think it's as important as you and Buttkrack are making it out to be.

Almqvist didn't just make the NHL because he was lightweight. He also couldn't skate. Also completely different era of Red Wings hockey, when Adam was trying to break through compared to Albert.
I think it is and will be the most determining factor… So I disagree with you saying it’s not.

Almqvist was not a bad skater, he failed because of an inability to gain weight and get stronger while keeping the rest of what he did well.

If Johansson fails, it will be for the same reasons.

I want to see him come over here and handle smaller ice and bigger/faster players coming at him with less time/space. I want to see something come out that says he is 180 + lbs now.

Then I will share the optimism and talk about him being on the Wings roster. 100%. Maybe this is what happens and we are all collectively on this wagon later this year. But until then I just think y’all have your heads in the clouds and are building yourselves up to maybe be let down.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I will add that having Kronwall as a mentor/development guy could potentially be a saving grace with this kid. He basically wrote the playbook for what he should do to have success. And I’ve noticed that the kid is plenty willing to battle despite his frame, which matters a lot.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Yup, same with Djoos decent performance in SHL and 58 pts in 66 games in his second AHL season. 6' 180 lbs and absolutely got manhandled in the NHL. 180lbs is DDK weight, still too light to be an effective NHL d-man.

Anyone who doesn't think size isn't a factor for NHL defensemen isn't really worth having a discussion with.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
6' 180 lbs and absolutely got manhandled in the NHL. 180lbs is DDK weight, still too light to be an effective NHL d-man.

Anyone who doesn't think size isn't a factor for NHL defensemen isn't really worth having a discussion with.

Just like Samuel Girard. Can't survive in NHL as 5'10 and 170 lbs.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That's not really what anyone is saying though. But there are two scenarios here:

1. Albert's weight has stayed EXACTLY the same from before he was drafted to now, 3 years later. This would make him something of a freak of nature and also a liar.

2. The weight data you see on websites is outdated.

Even in scenario 1, he has visibly gotten stronger so at minimum he's been able to build muscle while staying at the same weight (which is, again, unlikely).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Albert Johansson does not anyhow look like 183cm and 76kg guy by eye-test. That kind of guys are teenagers or long-distance runners etc.

Think he is quite normal 183/83 nowadays. Just wait for the Wings camp etc. when they update those values.

Miro Heiskanen is 185cm/86kg = 6'1, 189lbs.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yup, same with Djoos decent performance in SHL and 58 pts in 66 games in his second AHL season. 6' 180 lbs and absolutely got manhandled in the NHL. 180lbs is DDK weight, still too light to be an effective NHL d-man.

DJoos's problem isn't his size. He's a "good" and smooth skater but not a fast skater. He simply doesn't have escapability, and his passing/shooting are NHL average at best so he's a very vanilla player.

Johansson skates like he's Wile E. Coyote with a jetpack strapped to his back. And he's got a very good shot by any standards, and is at least an NHL average passer. Also more willing to play physical than Djoos.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Fluff articles from across the sea without any new information, interviews or insight are not evidence of anything.

June 2020.

September of 2020

May 2022

It would have to be considered extremely unlikely that his weight has remained exactly the same since the draft.

Average weight in the league was about 198lbs this season.
Oh, this guy already got to the bottom of it. Ok, maybe not the bottom, but most of the way down, clinging to the wall, shining a flashlight.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Almqvist absolutely couldn't skate, which amplified his lack of size as a negative factor. Dude was multiple tiers below Johansson in the skating department.

Ok, let's just pretend Johansson wasn't lying when he said a year and a half ago that he added "a few kilos." And let's pretend that that is the only point in the past few years he added weight, and that he now weighs 175 lbs.

6'0" - 175 lbs

5'11" - 173 lbs - Alex Goligoski
5'11" - 174 lbs - Alexandre Carrier
5'11" - 175 lbs - Cam York
6'1" - 176 lbs - Jake Bean
6'1" - 179 lbs - TJ Brodie

And these are just comparables. I'm not even including the guys who are even shorter and weigh even less.

I mean, he's in the lower rung of size among NHL dmen, no doubt, but there are some successful/promising names on that list with comparable height/weight.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
And to be clear, I don't think Johansson is any sure bet to be an NHLer, never mind a good top-4 guy. So I won't be let down if he doesn't make it (I think he does have the potential and I'm rooting for him). Size will certainly be a factor for him, simply because he is indeed on the smaller size. But he's being talked about here like it's some major issue. Like, an outlier. It's not. It's simply one of the many things young, developing players have to work on, and in this case it's a relatively small issue, given the kid's other strengths.

180lbs is DDK weight, still too light to be an effective NHL d-man.

The first statement is categorically false. Dmen under 180 may be an exception, sure, but they aren't all that rare. By my count, there were about 14 dmen this year who came in under 180 and played either in the top-4 or a majority of the season in the NHL.

NHL Stats

The second statement.... has anyone said it isn't a factor? Looks like it's mostly a debate of how much of a factor it is.

In general, it's of course a factor. In specific cases, there's much context to consider to decide how much of a factor it is. Skating, skill, work ethic, etc, etc..... all things that can mitigate size.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And to be clear, I don't think Johansson is any sure bet to be an NHLer, never mind a good top-4 guy. So I won't be let down if he doesn't make it (I think he does have the potential and I'm rooting for him). Size will certainly be a factor for him, simply because he is indeed on the smaller size. But he's being talked about here like it's some major issue. Like, an outlier. It's not. It's simply one of the many things young, developing players have to work on, and in this case it's a relatively small issue, given the kid's other strengths.

The first statement is categorically false. Dmen under 180 may be an exception, sure, but they aren't all that rare. By my count, there were about 14 dmen this year who came in under 180 and played either in the top-4 or a majority of the season in the NHL.

NHL Stats

The second statement.... has anyone said it isn't a factor? Looks like it's mostly a debate of how much of a factor it is.

In general, it's of course a factor. In specific cases, there's much context to consider to decide how much of a factor it is. Skating, skill, work ethic, etc, etc..... all things that can mitigate size.

Ok...but did you get to Sweden and have Albert step on the scale for you? Quit slacking.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ok, let's just pretend Johansson wasn't lying when he said a year and a half ago that he added "a few kilos." And let's pretend that that is the only point in the past few years he added weight, and that he now weighs 175 lbs.

6'0" - 175 lbs

5'11" - 173 lbs - Alex Goligoski
5'11" - 174 lbs - Alexandre Carrier
5'11" - 175 lbs - Cam York
6'1" - 176 lbs - Jake Bean
6'1" - 179 lbs - TJ Brodie
v
And these are just comparables. I'm not even including the guys who are even shorter and weigh even less.
So basically you are saying it's absolute bottom percentile of the league currently. And that's without even having a real confirmed number, here.

Like, an outlier. It's not.
Not an outlier, but again it is absolute bottom percentile for his position. If this was the NFL draft it would be talked about 1000 times in his analysis as a prospect.

This isn't to say I think he can't be a good player down the line. I absolutely think he can. I just think it's silly the amount of people penciling him into the opening night roster based on the information we have at this point in time.

By my count, there were about 14 dmen this year who came in under 180 and played either in the top-4 or a majority of the season in the NHL.

Let me see that list, I am genuinely curious.

Ok...but did you get to Sweden and have Albert step on the scale for you? Quit slacking.
"Who the f*** are you, and how did you get my address?"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad