Prospect Info: 60th Overall, Albert Johansson, LD

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Actual pictures of Albert Johansson's progression since we drafted him.
johansson.jpg

I don't think we need to worry.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Ok...but did you get to Sweden and have Albert step on the scale for you? Quit slacking.
I'm currently posting from the baggage compartment (difficult to get a seat with such short notice) of an SAS A320, scale in hand. WiFi is spotty down here, so bare with me.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
So basically you are saying it's absolute bottom percentile of the league currently. And that's without even having a real confirmed number, here.
Well, not really. Like I said, those are comparables. There are guys even smaller (look at Jared Spurgeon). But we're splitting hairs. My point was that while he's on the smaller side by NHL standards, and that is indeed a limiting factor, it's not that uncommon for players his size to succeed.

I mean, is anyone in this discussion even disagreeing? Lol. He is on the small side. Size does matter. He would do well to bulk up. His size will not explicitly keep him from being an NHL defenseman. Do we not all agree with those statements?

Not an outlier, but again it is absolute bottom percentile for his position. If this was the NFL draft it would be talked about 1000 times in his analysis as a prospect.

This isn't to say I think he can't be a good player down the line. I absolutely think he can. I just think it's silly the amount of people penciling him into the opening night roster based on the information we have at this point in time.
I would agree that it is silly to pencil him in. I'm not. I'm not even penciling Edvinsson in. I think Johansson will come in, compete, and either end up in Detroit or GR, neither of which would surprise me in the least.

Let me see that list, I am genuinely curious.
I linked it in the post you replied to, you muppet ;) I may have been off by a couple, I just ran down the list quickly, looking at name-power and GP.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Hopefully this recent thread will generate extra discussion when Johansson skates at camp in 4 months.

tardigrade.jpg

Disclaimer: Image is not of Albert Johansson, but rather that of a tardigrade.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think it is and will be the most determining factor… So I disagree with you saying it’s not.

Almqvist was not a bad skater, he failed because of an inability to gain weight and get stronger while keeping the rest of what he did well.

If Johansson fails, it will be for the same reasons.

I want to see him come over here and handle smaller ice and bigger/faster players coming at him with less time/space. I want to see something come out that says he is 180 + lbs now.

Then I will share the optimism and talk about him being on the Wings roster. 100%. Maybe this is what happens and we are all collectively on this wagon later this year. But until then I just think y’all have your heads in the clouds and are building yourselves up to maybe be let down.
NO particular stance in AJ's weight gain, but Almqvist really was a bad skater for his position. Great IQ. Great passer, but small and lacked the explosiveness or smoothness to evade hits. Its why he got lit up 2 postseasons in a row, and never got an other NHL interest, despite gaudy point totals in GR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just like Samuel Girard. Can't survive in NHL as 5'10 and 170 lbs.

Highlights don't really mean anything, it's his defensive abilities that's the liability. I've seen him abused on defense plenty of times, sometimes he looks as bad as Stecher. (Speaking of which, even Stecher had highlight plays)

For every Girard/Spurgeon/Ghost, there are literally thousands of Biega/Stecher/Hicketts. I'm not saying AlJo will never make the league, but I'm not counting on him until he bulks up.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yup, same with Djoos decent performance in SHL and 58 pts in 66 games in his second AHL season. 6' 180 lbs and absolutely got manhandled in the NHL. 180lbs is DDK weight, still too light to be an effective NHL d-man.

Anyone who doesn't think size isn't a factor for NHL defensemen isn't really worth having a discussion with.

Good thing Ken Holland drafted Filip Zadina and not Quinn Hughes!

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Watch this kid end up being the next Makar 😂. Like everyone stated with his size and weight, even if he put on 30lbs he isn't the monster type dman Yzerman usually drafts. Hakan was really excited when he fell to us in the draft and Lidstrom had pretty high praise for him then as well. Now he's coming over to NA and he is at least gonna get a shot. Bottom line is the Wings are going from having a bunch of scraps on defense to having 3 possible STUDS on the blueline in Seider, Edvinsson,Johannson. Seider already came in as a franchise changing defenseman, Edvinsson is pretty much following the same trajectory and Johannson just turned it up this year. When has a team drafted,developed and brought up even 2 high end defenseman let alone 3. Not only that Seider should win the Calder and Raymond was robbed of a nomination. We as wings fans could very well have back to back years with at least players contending for the Calder. Wether or not Edvinsson makes it and performs his name is at least in talks with big names coming into the league next year which we haven't even had that much in yearssss.

Reactions: r0bert8841

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Good thing Ken Holland drafted Filip Zadina and not Quinn Hughes!

Hughes isn't really known for his defense, and he struggled on that side of the ice his first 2 seasons.

My whole point is AlJo will spend most of next season in GR not on the Wings roster. I'll take bets, and you guys better not bail like the guy who was supposed to change his username to ButtKraken. (I bet Cholo would wash out)

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
NO particular stance in AJ's weight gain, but Almqvist really was a bad skater for his position. Great IQ. Great passer, but small and lacked the explosiveness or smoothness to evade hits. Its why he got lit up 2 postseasons in a row, and never got an other NHL interest, despite gaudy point totals in GR
Both Almqvist and Djoos are bad examples if anyone wants to have honest discussions about legit prospects.

Johansson's skating is a high-end if not elite tool. Neither of those guys had a single tool of that caliber. It's also why I think Nils Lundkvist has struggled more than many Rangers fans expected, his skating is good but not great for a smaller guy.

That doesn't mean Johansson couldn't have big struggles when he comes over, but skating is a huge factor in the success of "undersized" d-men and Johansson has it.

Reactions: lomekian

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was really behind him playing in NA this year, but I am struggling to see where there is a spot for him.

I see Lashoff, Sebrango, and McIsaac as the likely LD in GR.
We have Chiarot, Maatta, Edvinsson, Haag, Walman, Oesterle as possibilities in Detroit.

I am feeling like there is a chance we send him back overseas?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I was really behind him playing in NA this year, but I am struggling to see where there is a spot for him.

I see Lashoff, Sebrango, and McIsaac as the likely LD in GR.
We have Chiarot, Maatta, Edvinsson, Haag, Walman, Oesterle as possibilities in Detroit.

I am feeling like there is a chance we send him back overseas?
Viro in the mix for GR as well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Viro in the mix for GR as well.
I know it's not ideal, but maybe Johansson/Viro can get a spot on the right side.
LD
Lashoff
Sebrango
McIsaac

RD
Newpower
Barton
Viro/Johansson?

Or I know Lashoff has played his off side before, like when he played on our top pair for Babcock :laugh:

I saw you list Kampfer, I get the feeling if he can't make Detroit's roster as the 7/8 guy he would look at other options over playing in the AHL. He played KHL last year and he hasn't played much in the AHL the last 5 years. Unless he just wants to be back in Michigan.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Is there a vet rule for the AHL or can we just yeet the dudes that don't have an NHL future to the ECHL?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I know it's not ideal, but maybe Johansson/Viro can get a spot on the right side.

Johansson is THE LhD to play at right side. Don't think those others have much experience. Viro has always been on left side. So has McIsaac, Sebrango and Lashoff.

I could see it being:

Lashoff - Johansson
Sebrango - Kampfer
McIsaac/Viro - Newpower

Barton to ECHL.

Kampfer will proably be the Griffins 1D.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is there a vet rule for the AHL or can we just yeet the dudes that don't have an NHL future to the ECHL?
Theoretically you could yeet anyone. But guys like Lashoff who just signed an extension in May, and are a team Captain, are not going to get yeeted to make way for a young guy.

Other than Lashoff, I expect almost all the defenseman on the team to be 23/24 or younger.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
LD
Lashoff
Sebrango
McIsaac

RD
Newpower
Barton
Viro/Johansson?

Or I know Lashoff has played his off side before, like when he played on our top pair for Babcock :laugh:

I saw you list Kampfer, I get the feeling if he can't make Detroit's roster as the 7/8 guy he would look at other options over playing in the AHL. He played KHL last year and he hasn't played much in the AHL the last 5 years. Unless he just wants to be back in Michigan.
I think you would slide a vet like Lashoff over before you mess with the prospects.

Just my take, but I think Kampfer was signed as an insurance policy (for injuries, a potential Hronek trade, potential Lindstrom ineffectiveness, or all of the above), and that he understands that. It's possible he'll get token games in Detroit, but otherwise he's the lead vet on the right side in GR. And I have to imagine he's ok with that. He'll be 34 by the time the season starts, hasn't played in the NHL in 2 years, is signed to a 2-way contract, and really has no leverage. I'd guess he's pretty happy being back in Michigan and still having a pro career. He's in perfect position to remain near home while transitioning to a hockey role once his playing career is over (which can't be that far away).

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
There is a rule, yes. If I remember correctly, AHL teams in a given game can dress no more than 5 vets and 1 near-vet. I think they define vets as having played 320 pro games, and the near-vet something like 260-320 pro games.

An example would be future-Cross Hanas.

Reactions: Henkka

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There is a rule, yes. If I remember correctly, AHL teams in a given game can dress no more than 5 vets and 1 near-vet. I think they define vets as having played 320 pro games, and the near-vet something like 260-320 pro games.

An example would be future-Cross Hanas.
But there's no rule that there must be a vet? IE we could conceivably make it a bunch of kids?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But there's no rule that there must be a vet? IE we could conceivably make it a bunch of kids?

Only rule is 6 vet maximum at same time with some game limit (320 AHL games or something). That is limiting full vet roster.

But you could go 100% with kids if you like.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't want all kids. But I wouldn't begin to hesitate to free up space if I want someone getting AHL playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad