Post-Game Talk: 60!

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Thats why I get pissed off when people say trade Drai, trade Nurse, etc. McDavid is pretty tight with those 2. Can you imagine what would McDavid think if u traded one of his buddies
The f***ing idiot Chia traded his good buddy Strome and also brought in the guy who cost McDavid the Calder.

Couple things missed is that the Kings record with Copley and Korpisalo is incredibly good. 22-4-3 with Copley in net. Quick and Petersen were sinking the Kings, almost always, until they were gone. The steadying of Byfield with Kopitar and Kempe has been huge for the club. They outscore like crazy. Rarely scored against. Gavrikov has been steady. Kings also added a tough guy if they need it. Worth noting that in the Kings 8-2 drubbing of Calgary they didn't even have Fiala, their leading scorer. The game was in doubt for maybe 5mins. Kings just took control as they do. They're skating teams into the ice.

In anycase the way I look at it is the Oilers are a good team, best they've had since O5-06 and the the two division opponents, wherever they place, are solid. No easy clubs like Calgary in the mix but this also to the Oilers benefit as the Flames and Doughtyless Kings didn't prepare the Oil well for the Avalanche last season. Good to get tested to get sharp. The division being stronger this season, at least 3 of the clubs, its a benefit of sorts.
I would love to play Calgary again but it looks like they choked out. LA worries me... a lot. We will get a test in the 2 upcoming games. Refs always seem to tilt to Cali so there is that too.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
What I can't get over is the resemblance of Draisaitl's assist in OT compared to the winning goal against the Flames.

He's smarter than everyone so he's able to turn the puck over. Strong enough to take a hit and still make a play right on to McDavid's tape.

We are truly blessed to have both of them.

Last edited:

B A T M A N

Mar 18, 2023
What I can't get over is the resemblance of Draisaitl's assist in OT compared to the winning goal against the Flames.

He's smarter than everyone so he's able to turn the puck over. Strong enough to take a hit and still make a play right on to McDavid's tip.

We are truly blessed to have both of them.
Now that you mention it, that's so eerily similar lol

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
TNT broadcast of the OT goal properly shows the full ice occurrence of what is happening on ice whereas Snet camera footage doesn't even spot Draisaitl making the strip and pass on the 2nd feed.

Its kind of incredible that In Canada we have cameramen and broadcasts that don't even know how to televise hockey and that we want full zone views or even full ice views to see whats happening whereas this common sense thing is perfectly understood in US coverage of the same game. Why?

3 replays of the Snet broadcast didn't even show Drai making the strip and play. It was as if the puck on its own was miraculously coming back to McDavid.

Is it that hard to get even competent filming of hockey here in Canada?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
TNT broadcast of the OT goal properly shows the full ice occurrence of what is happening on ice whereas Snet camera footage doesn't even spot Draisaitl making the strip and pass on the 2nd feed.

Its kind of incredible that In Canada we have cameramen and broadcasts that don't even know how to televise hockey and that we want full zone views or even full ice views to see whats happening whereas this common sense thing is perfectly understood in US coverage of the same game. Why?

3 replays of the Snet broadcast didn't even show Drai making the strip and play. It was as if the puck on its own was miraculously coming back to McDavid.

Is it that hard to get even competent filming of hockey here in Canada?

SN broadcasts are garbage.

There are some games where they literally will not show a faceoff because they are showing a player sitting on the bench, a pointless replay or a cool graphic with information we already all know in place. Drives me f***ing insane sometimes.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He has really come on in the 2nd half of the season and is fully deserving of a spot on the team.

WRT to Mc-D with 60 goals---win or lose in the playoffs, its a treat to watch the best hockey player on the planet play for your hockey team. I have been able to say that for both Gretz and Mc-D---such magic---and unlike so many jerks in pro sports these 2 guys are real gentlemen.
100%
Ive been an Oiler fan since 79-80. 80's were great, 90's had some entertaining playoffs but we almost lost team, 2000,s were bad, really bad except 06, upto 2015 was a gong show until the magic #'s 5, 14, 6, 1 came up . Watching McDavid, especially this year makes those painful years less painful. It's coming, we are very close to Stanley. Can't wait. I'm hoping to win Lotto this weekend so I can attend every playoff game and make Stanley Parade

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

There are some games where they literally will not show a faceoff because they are showing a player sitting on the bench, a pointless replay or a cool graphic with information we already all know in place. Drives me f***ing insane sometimes.
I hate how frequently the stats that pop up on the ticker during the play have nothing to do with what's going on in the game.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
100%
Ive been an Oiler fan since 79-80. 80's were great, 90's had some entertaining playoffs but we almost lost team, 2000,s were bad, really bad except 06, upto 2015 was a gong show until the magic #'s 5, 14, 6, 1 came up . Watching McDavid, especially this year makes those painful years less painful. It's coming, we are very close to Stanley. Can't wait. I'm hoping to win Lotto this weekend so I can attend every playoff game and make Stanley Parade
I like your optimism but when I see some of these defensive lapses I wonder if they will go far in the playoffs. One thing I know for sure is that we will be heavily reliant on Skinner who is in essence a rookie goaltender. Let's hope its 1971 all over again.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

For those who missed Darren Pang swearing.

Pure bacon for the eyes.

They think the electronic, flashing board ads make the game more interesting.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I like your optimism but when I see some of these defensive lapses I wonder if they will go far in the playoffs. One thing I know for sure is that we will be heavily reliant on Skinner who is in essence a rookie goaltender. Let's hope its 1971 all over again.
well since u brought up 71
Ken Dryden 6'4 206
Stuart Skinner 6'4 206
I'll find some more

Reactions: Stoneman89

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There's a lot of positives for the Oil playing tight games and winning with B games against bottom opposition. Rather see them in these competitive situations versus blowing up empty calorie teams. However the poor own zone stuff gets exploited against better teams who bury mistakes and a far better, structured veteran goal suppression team like LA won't necessarily cave like the bottom feeders. LA in particular has been light's out since the trade deadline with the addition of a veteran goaltender who's shown ability to steal games and playoff series.

"The Los Angeles Kings come in at the No. 2 team save percentage since the 2023 trade deadline, which is a marked improvement on the rest of their season.

The Kings hit the trade deadline ranked 30th in team save percentage at 5-on-5 with an .899. Only San Jose and Vancouver were worse. They acquired Joonas Korpisalo from Columbus (along with Vladislav Gavrikov), and while he certainly has had a positive impact, Phoenix Copley has also stepped up his game and, in fact, has the better numbers since March 3."

GOALIEW-L-OTLGAASV%
Joonas Korpisalo3-0-11.96.921
Pheonix Copley3-0-11.47.940

Winning with B game is good. But passive backtrack and energy level with poor own zone decision making won't cut it against elite competition. Some big fish coming up on the schedule that they've been trying to chase down. These will be good benchmark games for the impending Second Season.
Yes, I agree with the winning the B games, or any game for that matter in a tight fashion will help steel them for the tough grind ahead. But my main issue is the same as the one you mentioned, with the continuing with the poor decision making and occasional laksadaisical play (looking at you, Evan Bouchard). And as you mentioned, the result against much tougher opposition won't likely be so positive. We'll see if the playing down to the opposition thing continues to be true after the game Saturday.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad