Post-Game Talk: 60!

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I want McDavid to at least get 66, as he will pass current peers Stamkos and Nostrils with his next goal, and also beat Alex Ovechkins best goal scoring season ever, which was 65.

The only one that came to the GTA in his prime, was Tavares, and that's probably because he wanted to wear his Leafs jammies again.
while simultaneously leading the league in assists

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Concerned with the pay of a few individuals despite the great win. I think we got a little fortunate for the 3rd game in a row. Hyman and Kane are almost invisible this past while, other than Kanes one big game and Hymans 30th. Doesn't seem to be a lot of energy there. And the defence continues to make some head scratching mistakes. We'll see if they get away with this stuff against Vegas and L.A.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It should be. Would even be better if the filming of it was up to par. Most of the replays shown don't even show the Drai winning the puck and servicing McD for the 2nd time in the sequence. The 2nd time the cameras wereWe not expecting the turnover and Drai making those two plays in quick succession.
I know you were loving every minute of that Drai wizardry last night.

Remember when I told you around a month ago not to worry that Drai will show up down the stretch and into the playoffs? Well....Yeah ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Concerned with the pay of a few individuals despite the great win. I think we got a little fortunate for the 3rd game in a row. Hyman and Kane are almost invisible this past while, other than Kanes one big game and Hymans 30th. Doesn't seem to be a lot of energy there. And the defence continues to make some head scratching mistakes. We'll see if they get away with this stuff against Vegas and L.A.
I'm not worried, top teams go through dips every year. Kind of hard to get up for San Jose and Arizona while comfortably in a playoff spot after a juggernaut schedule in which they expended a ton of energy getting to this spot in the standings.

I'm much more concerned with the goaltending. Skinner has been good for the most part but has zero experience then there's....Campbell. I'm not sure I see Cup winning goaltending here so the team will have to outscore their way to a Cup like Colorado did which they're capable of but is exceedingly hard to do without timely saves.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I know it was just Arizona but McD is just amazing, Draisaitl with 4 apples. Unreal.
they gotta start getting better. They have about 100 draft picks, possibly Bedard ( I hope not). Couple players impressed me were
Keller
Hayton
Maccelli
Schmaltz

Draisaitl showed why he is the best passer in the league last night. 3 amazing plays on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals. All world passer.

Connor will re-sign with the Oilers. The Oilers have a group in the room that are super close and spend so much time with each other off the ice and I see them being signed long term (in particular McDavid and Draisaitl).
U wait and see the paint job I am getting on my truck. I have a 4 X 4 2008 Toyota Tacoma. Inside is all Oiler Seat covers, Oilers floor mats. Paint job is next. I'll post here when done. U will see me coming

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Draisaitl showed why he is the best passer in the league last night. 3 amazing plays on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals. All world passer.

Connor will re-sign with the Oilers. The Oilers have a group in the room that are super close and spend so much time with each other off the ice and I see them being signed long term (in particular McDavid and Draisaitl).
Thats why I get pissed off when people say trade Drai, trade Nurse, etc. McDavid is pretty tight with those 2. Can you imagine what would McDavid think if u traded one of his buddies

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not worried, top teams go through dips every year. Kind of hard to get up for San Jose and Arizona while comfortably in a playoff spot after a juggernaut schedule in which they expended a ton of energy getting to this spot in the standings.

I'm much more concerned with the goaltending. Skinner has been good for the most part but has zero experience then there's....Campbell. I'm not sure I see Cup winning goaltending here so the team will have to outscore their way to a Cup like Colorado did which they're capable of but is exceedingly hard to do without timely saves.
It's been a while since the killer schedule, should have had plenty of time to recover, so that's not an excuse. And we're chasing 2 teams for the division title and the coveted home ice advantage so incentive is definitely there to bring it. If it was just one game that we struggled, but with the last 3, it's concerning.

I think Skinner has been fine, but the amount of 5 bell chances and brain farts are starting to creep into our game again after a solid performance against Dallas. Those need to be cleaned up or it won't matter who's in net.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know you were loving every minute if that Drai wizardry last night.

Remember when I told you around a month ago not to worry that Drai will show up down the stretch and into the playoffs? Well....Yeah ;)
Draisaitl actually didn't have a great game yesterday, but his passing and vision are so sublime, it continued to create, even when he was stationary. Just didn't have his legs last night, which seems to be something that has plagued him the past and it looks like it will continue going forward, and has been misconstrued as injury related many times on here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know you were loving every minute if that Drai wizardry last night.

Like I said though concerned that we're needing so much of our top player contributions against teams as weak as Sharks or Yotes. This is the time of year that our top players should be getting rests, not having to have brilliant performances. Coach is really not utilizing the lineup or distributing minutes as he should be. The other contender teams, including Colorado have been able to take large segments of season off or playing subpar. Most contending teams know its what you have to do. Oilers core are being made to play hard every night and how much will be left?

All that matters now is being ready and primed for playoffs. Not being tired for playoffs.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's been a while since the killer schedule, should have had plenty of time to recover, so that's not an excuse. And we're chasing 2 teams for the division title and the coveted home ice advantage so incentive is definitely there to bring it. If it was just one game that we struggled, but with the last 3, it's concerning.

I think Skinner has been fine, but the amount of 5 bell chances and brain farts are starting to creep into our game again after a solid performance against Dallas. Those need to be cleaned up or it won't matter who's in net.
The killer schedule just concluded. Not making an excuse, I'm just saying that even the best teams go through energy dips during the season.

Also, it seems like every 5 bell chance ended up in the back of the net the last 2 games. The Oilers were sloppy for sure but the Sharks and Coyotes didn't really generate much outside of the goals.

Regardless, I agree that the Oilers have to clean up the neutral zone sloppiness in particular but it's an effort thing so I'm not too worried about it. The Oilers are never going to be a clean defensive team anyway so we'll just have to live with some pond hockey stretches.

Reactions: TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Like I said though concerned that we're needing so much of our top player contributions against teams as weak as Sharks or Yotes. This is the time of year that our top players should be getting rests, not having to have brilliant performances. Coach is really not utilizing the lineup or distributing minutes as he should be. The other contender teams, including Colorado have been able to take large segments of season off or playing subpar. Most contending teams know its what you have to do. Oilers core are being made to play hard every night and how much will be left?

All that matters now is being ready and primed for playoffs. Not being tired for playoffs.

The bottom 6 has been excellent this season. I don't feel that the Oilers core 2 has had to carry the load as much as years past and Drai has been cruising a good portion of this season so he should be daisy fresh headed down the stretch. McDavid has energy for days, I'm not worried about him running out of steam in the playoffs. Hyman and Kane are the two guys that need to get going and I'm sure they will.

My biggest concerns are goaltending and the Nurse-Ceci pairing to a lesser extent. Desharnais as a full time #6 makes me feel a bit uneasy as well but that likely won't cost them games/series. Nurse-Ceci needs to be better more consistently if the team is to make a real run.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The bottom 6 has been excellent this season. I don't feel that the Oilers core 2 has had to carry the load as much as years past and Drai has been cruising a good portion of this season so he should be daisy fresh headed down the stretch. McDavid has energy for days, I'm not worried about him running out of steam in the playoffs. Hyman and Kane are the two guys that need to get going and I'm sure they will.
My biggest concerns are goaltending and the Nurse-Ceci pairing to a lesser extent. Desharnais as a full time #6 makes me feel a bit uneasy as well but that likely won't cost them games/series. Nurse-Ceci needs to be better more consistently if the team is to make a real run.
Its even more perplexing though that even though we have better bottomsix players and depth, that we continue not to use it and continue instead to doubleshift our top players and lines in games like this against non relevant teams.

Also I can't explain how Hyman, just off missing several games injury is given 24mins. That just seems like a bad idea and he was pretty clearly struggling with it.

Reactions: FlameChampion

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Its even more perplexing though that even though we have better bottomsix players and depth, that we continue not to use it and continue instead to doubleshift our top players and lines in games like this against non relevant teams.

Also I can't explain how Hyman, just off missing several games injury is given 24mins. That just seems like a bad idea and he was pretty clearly struggling with it.
Agreed that the deployment is frustrating. It seems like every coach plays the top guys into the ground which was understandable in the McLellan and Tippett eras because the support group was so atrocious but with them being an actual asset, why not use them more? Poor Kostin who had all this confidence is now struggling to regain his footing because of all the scratches and now getting 7-8 minutes a night. Kind of baffling.

As far as Hyman is concerned, he needs a few games off. He's either fatigued or injured, give him time to recover so he can reset.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The killer schedule just concluded. Not making an excuse, I'm just saying that even the best teams go through energy dips during the season.

Also, it seems like every 5 bell chance ended up in the back of the net the last 2 games. The Oilers were sloppy for sure but the Sharks and Coyotes didn't really generate much outside of the goals.

Regardless, I agree that the Oilers have to clean up the neutral zone sloppiness in particular but it's an effort thing so I'm not too worried about it. The Oilers are never going to be a clean defensive team anyway so we'll just have to live with some pond hockey stretches.
I'm not so concerned about the reduced overall shots on net, because we've been doing a better job of reducing the shot totals. But most of those extra shots are usually the harmless ones, and can just pump up the other teams stats. It's the unforced giveaways and brainfarts that concern me, that result in those 5 bell chances, and that is the stuff that kills you in the close playoff games.

Not so sure it's an effort thing, when you see the same things night after night, season after season for some players.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Agreed that the deployment is frustrating. It seems like every coach plays the top guys into the ground which was understandable in the McLellan and Tippett eras because the support group was so atrocious but with them being an actual asset, why not use them more? Poor Kostin who had all this confidence is now struggling to regain his footing because of all the scratches and now getting 7-8 minutes a night. Kind of baffling.

As far as Hyman is concerned, he needs a few games off. He's either fatigued or injured, give him time to recover so he can reset.
I think Klim is being messed with because he makes all the right decisions and that messes with Jay's incorrect plan. Very simple play I noticed last night was 4 guys going on a change, he had the puck just outside the Az blue line, he slows up a bit and passes it back to the refreshed dman instead of dumping it in and giving up possession. I mean our team is allergic to chasing, stop giving the opponents the puck.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
McDavid is 12 goals ahead of the next leading goal scorer (Pasta), and 38 points ahead the next leading non-teammate in points (Kucherov).

Putting that into perspective, the following players have 38 points on the season:
Lucas Raymond
Conor Garland
Jack Roslovic
Andrew Copp
Oliver Bjorkstrand
Scott Laughton
Mark Stone
Mikael Granlund

Jeez.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad