GDT: #60 | Devils vs. Capitals 7pm | Groundhog day edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Tootoo is one of the players that needs to GTFO after this year.

Ruutu is probably out regardless. No one is signing Tootoo after this year either though, unless it's gonna be us. Pete didn't like Tootoo, so I don't think he's getting a job in San Jose. Not after Pete scratched him in Winnipeg that time.

Maybe Trotz likes him? I doubt they have any 4th liners on their team as bad as Tootoo. It's to the point where Sislo and his offensive allergies probably hurt us less than Tootoo and his 12 points. With how much time we get pinned in with him out there, and having to play him with a lead. I'd say he does more harm than a guy that probably gets only just 5 points on the season, as long as he isn't a liability like him.

Tootoo has just been awful this year. Wish he hadn't been re-signed. Would rather have had Gomez or Bernier, even if Gomez isn't your traditional bottom six player, he wouldn't get trapped in his own zone more than Tootoo probably, and he'd produce more. In hindsight, bringing back Tootoo was a mistake. He's been a detriment to the team this year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is why I'm actually not that upset about the blown leads. Probably shouldn't have had them in the first place. Holtby had a poor game.

Perhaps the percentages evening out after all the pucks that were hitting Halak in his kangaroo pouch last night.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tootoo has just been awful this year. Wish he hadn't been re-signed. Would rather have had Gomez or Bernier, even if Gomez isn't your traditional bottom six player, he wouldn't get trapped in his own zone more than Tootoo probably, and he'd produce more. In hindsight, bringing back Tootoo was a mistake. He's been a detriment to the team this year.

It's probably a waste to think about now, but I certainly hope this wasn't a case of Shero signing off re signing Tootoo (since we need dat sandpaper and grit for the 4th line) but not Gomez, since Gomez wasn't a prototypical 4th liner.

The signing was supposedly made before Lou was officially out, even though it wasn't announced until after Shero being appointed GM was announced. But I'm a little confused as to why Tootoo was signed before Gomez by Lou. Unless it was a matter of money, Gomez likely wanted more than what it would take to get Tootoo to quickly agree to a contract. No sense in being mad over a one year deal, but he shouldn't be playing every night.

It's time to wean him out of the lineup, if not just slowly. Not mad about Bernier, he's having a pretty bad year himself. I don't think he would have helped the team more than Tootoo, might not have been worse though. I'm at the point where Sislo might not be more of a detriment than Tootoo. You know he's not gonna do jack **** for offense, but he wasn't a liability like Tootoo. You might be able to trust your 4th line late with him in there over Tootoo.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still remember him on the first unit powerplay last season for a bit.:laugh:

I still remember when he played on the PK and managed to trick people into thinking he was a decent ''Two way'' player with Zajac.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Please let this be true. I am so tired of having Tootoo on this team.

I think it's unfair to say a guy wore out his welcome with the time, when most people agreed he should be brought back after last year.

But if he's back after this, he will have more than worn out his welcome.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's probably a waste to think about now, but I certainly hope this wasn't a case of Shero signing off re signing Tootoo (since we need dat sandpaper and grit for the 4th line) but not Gomez, since Gomez wasn't a prototypical 4th liner.

The signing was supposedly made before Lou was officially out, even though it wasn't announced until after Shero being appointed GM was announced. But I'm a little confused as to why Tootoo was signed before Gomez by Lou. Unless it was a matter of money, Gomez likely wanted more than what it would take to get Tootoo to quickly agree to a contract. No sense in being mad over a one year deal, but he shouldn't be playing every night.

It's time to wean him out of the lineup, if not just slowly. Not mad about Bernier, he's having a pretty bad year himself. I don't think he would have helped the team more than Tootoo, might not have been worse though. I'm at the point where Sislo might not be more of a detriment than Tootoo. You know he's not gonna do jack **** for offense, but he wasn't a liability like Tootoo. You might be able to trust your 4th line late with him in there over Tootoo.

Some of this is hindsight, because when Tootoo was re-signed, I wasn't mad, since he did better than I had expected last year (and compensated for that ten-fold by being worse than I expected this season--oof), but I think I'm more salty about Gomez not being on the team, since I did want Gomez re-signed and he wasn't, because I was one of those people who was afraid that JJ if given a bigger role would fail to step up, and that has certainly proven to be the case, since JJ has been an offensive black hole this season. I wanted Gomez back, and that didn't happen, so it hurts to watch JJ and Tootoo be ineffective out there, and think Gomez probably could be more useful than either of them.

I don't really know who is more to "blame" for Tootoo being re-signed: Shero or Lou. I just hope it doesn't happen again regardless of who was behind it.

Last edited:

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Tootoo has been poor this season but I can't rag on the guy. He was a bright spot in a very dark season last year and he goes to bat for his teammates.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Tootoo seems like a great guy, but he's been a very ineffective player. That's all I'm saying; none of it is meant to be an attack on the type of person he is, since he seems to be an upstanding guy overall, just someone whose time in the NHL has probably run its course.

devilos

Jun 18, 2012
Arlington, VA
Just getting back in from Verizon. Went in not expecting a win but got my hopes up in the third. Watching the 3rd caps goal go in from behind that net was painful.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tootoo has been poor this season but I can't rag on the guy. He was a bright spot in a very dark season last year and he goes to bat for his teammates.

Tootoo seems like a great guy, but he's been a very ineffective player. That's all I'm saying; none of it is meant to be an attack on the type of person he is, since he seems to be an upstanding guy overall, just someone whose time in the NHL has probably run its course.

I absolutely like him as a person and he's a great story, so I can't be too hard on the guy.

But I think it's time we start phasing him out of the lineup. Even if it's not an every night scratch, I don't see him as someone that should be obligated to be in the lineup every night anymore. Until he's not an every night player, I'm going to have a slight paranoia that we have not seen the last of him in a Devils sweater after this season ends.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I absolutely like him as a person and he's a great story, so I can't be too hard on the guy.

But I think it's time we start phasing him out of the lineup. Even if it's not an every night scratch, I don't see him as someone that should be obligated to be in the lineup every night anymore. Until he's not an every night player, I'm going to have a slight paranoia that we have not seen the last of him in a Devils sweater after this season ends.

I don't blame you for feeling that way. Shero cut off some deadweight (see: Zubrus) last off-season, so hopefully he'll see that Tootoo is deadweight this year and not re-sign him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't blame you for feeling that way. Shero cut off some deadweight (see: Zubrus) last off-season, so hopefully he'll see that Tootoo is deadweight this year and not re-sign him.

I just don't see what he contributes anymore, aside from occasionally chipping in some offense and barely even more occasionally getting into a fight these days.

I keep forgetting that they did cut his powerplay time finally.

And to get back to why I believe this is a deflating loss. If we had blown the lead and lost this in OT or a shootout, I don't believe it would have been as bad for morale.

Same goes for if we were tied at 2-2 and lost 3-2 in regulation, despite not getting any points anyway. The way it all happened, up 3-2. tied 3-3, then down 4-3 in a matter of minutes, just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. That tying goal was a fluke in the way it went in, but I don't believe being scored on in that sequence and on that shift was fluky. I was expecting a goal as soon as I saw the 4th line having trouble leaving the defensive zone.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I just don't see what he contributes anymore, aside from occasionally chipping in some offense and barely even more occasionally getting into a fight these days.

And to get back to why I believe this is a deflating loss. If we had blown the lead and lost this in OT or a shootout, I don't believe it would have been as bad for morale.

Same goes for if we were tied at 2-2 and lost 3-2 in regulation, despite not getting any points anyway. The way it all happened, up 3-2. tied 3-3, then down 4-3 in a matter of minutes, just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. That tying goal was a fluke in the way it went in, but I don't believe being scored on in that sequence and on that shift was fluky. I was expecting a goal as soon as I saw the 4th line having trouble leaving the defensive zone.

Yep, I saw it coming from a mile away. Was completely predictable that a goal would be scored even if the fashion in which it was scored was odd.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

I thought Cory could have done more with that third goal. Not blaming him but I think there was an opportunity to poke check that puck away from the crease with how far out he was. But I could be wrong. He's a fantastic puck stopper but I do wish he had some more refinement with stick handling and breaking up plays.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Tootoo doesn't even do what he used to do which is throw the body. He doesn't do that as much. Same with Gio. Gio used to be a good energy guy, but what happened?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Absolutely

That is, unless Shero re signs him.:cry:

That would be Shero's first jump the shark moment, unless he does something cooky at the deadline.

Honestly I still think we wouldn't have re-signed him LAST offseason if Lou hadn't done it first. I'm probably just underestimating Shero's own attachment to Tootoo from the Nashville days.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm not even that mad. They did just enough to lose but hung around with the best team in the East. Too much puck watching.

The game last night was worse. They looked offensively inept. They could barely get into the Isle's zone in the last half of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad