Post-Game Talk: #60 | Canadiens at Flyers | February 24, 2023

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
@Tripod

I counted that bet as a loss the instant the news broke that Couturier re-injured his back. Not to mention Atkinson.
You are still ahead of the money line by .03.

It's very much within reach.

It's just sad that this team is on a 19 point increase over last year.....yet is only better than 1 team in the East. Sad times indeed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
i'll put this way, no coach is going to fix this mess without talent, bedard wont fix this because he's a young player, we need leaders that will finish and we just dont have that. the fo has really be creative and bring in a strong leader that will finish.

You say we need talent and then yell down every single plan to get more talent, no matter what it is.

ok blame him, what would you do then?

Play like it's 2023

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
8782FDF4-22FC-4F6B-8558-9947B2DB0F38.jpeg

Stats from Money Puck…not sure if this has been posted before.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Heard ad nauseum how bad the team supposedly is. And that’s *without* any injuries.

Yet when they play poorly without TK, Couturier, & Atkinson, despite beating expectations on a season-wide level, it’s Torts’ fault.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. LOL.

Beat expectations???

They are putrid , just look at the standing and all on ice results. Nothing is improved and they are on target to finish same as last.

Couts is damaged , Ellis was never returning and Atkinson is no better than any of our top 9 Rws.

Healthy Couts is the only injury that could move the needle slightly.

Torts roster decisions , his OT strategy ( see record) his special teams hires, that is what had the most damage to the standings.

Torts and Fletch are close to equal

View attachment 656385

Stats from Money Puck…not sure if this has been posted before.

That is awesome if real

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
ok blame him, what would you do then?
This isn't rocket science.

1. Clean out the front office. Hire people who actually understand how to build a winning roster in 2023, i.e. talent, depth, optimizing cap allocation, and sound asset management.
2. Fire the coach. Bring in someone who actually understands today's game and who can build up young players.
3. Get rid of all of the no-talent try-hards. Compete level is a great thing when combined with talent but absent talent it has little value.
4. Acquire assets. Trade off as much of the dead weight as you can for futures, with a strong preference towards picks over middling prospects with limited ceilings. Sell high on guys who are unlikely to be key irreplaceable contributors when this team is any good again. Weaponize cap space to leverage even more assets. Draft high and in bulk at all positions but avoid getting caught up in projecting roles, etc.
6. Stay out of free agency unless there's a big fish out there worth a moonshot. Avoid bad contracts, especially when re-signing guys. Don't get tied to players who the team would be better off moving for assets while utilizing their cap space differently, even if you like the player. Don't be afraid to play younger players to figure out if they're going to be key pieces moving forward, either as a longterm roster solution or as a means to leverage future assets.
7. When the situation is stabilized and the team is on an upward trend, re-assess but avoid getting into bad habits like plugging holes with expensive veterans either through FA or by trading away draft capital. Keep drafting as much as possible. Keep acquiring assets. It's cash money down the line that you can leverage to push the roster over the top when the time comes, or to continually re-tool to keep the team competitive for an extended period of time.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

1. Clean out the front office. Hire people who actually understand how to build a winning roster in 2023, i.e. talent, depth, optimizing cap allocation, and sound asset management.
2. Fire the coach. Bring in someone who actually understands today's game and who can build up young players.
3. Get rid of all of the no-talent try-hards. Compete level is a great thing when combined with talent but absent talent it has little value.
4. Acquire assets. Trade off as much of the dead weight as you can for futures, with a strong preference towards picks over middling prospects with limited ceilings. Sell high on guys who are unlikely to be key irreplaceable contributors when this team is any good again. Weaponize cap space to leverage even more assets. Draft high and in bulk at all positions but avoid getting caught up in projecting roles, etc.
6. Stay out of free agency unless there's a big fish out there worth a moonshot. Avoid bad contracts, especially when re-signing guys. Don't get tied to players who the team would be better off moving for assets while utilizing their cap space differently, even if you like the player. Don't be afraid to play younger players to figure out if they're going to be key pieces moving forward, either as a longterm roster solution or as a means to leverage future assets.
7. When the situation is stabilized and the team is on an upward trend, re-assess but avoid getting into bad habits like plugging holes with expensive veterans either through FA or by trading away draft capital. Keep drafting as much as possible. Keep acquiring assets. It's cash money down the line that you can leverage to push the roster over the top when the time comes, or to continually re-tool to keep the team competitive for an extended period of time.

1677339922858.png

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Ah f*** I forgot about that. They can't give Sandstrom a game?
Is there a point in time during the season where waivers does not apply? It is absolutely unconscionable what this franchise has done to this goalie. If they don't not think he is good enough to play in the NHL (and the stats would back that up), then why would real franchises claim him? The one thing missing from this organization, besides skilled players, is common f'in sense

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is there a point in time during the season where waivers does not apply? It is absolutely unconscionable what this franchise has done to this goalie. If they don't not think he is good enough to play in the NHL (and the stats would back that up), then why would real franchises claim him? The one thing missing from this organization, besides skilled players, is common f'in sense

• Haha
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

This is one of my favorite posts I’ve ever seen on this site. Nicely done sir.

Could I share this on social media? It’s awesome

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You are still ahead of the money line by .03.

It's very much within reach.

It's just sad that this team is on a 19 point increase over last year.....yet is only better than 1 team in the East. Sad times indeed.
I see your point. My hope looking forward is Pittsburgh & Washington are on a downhill trajectory, & the Islanders are surpassable.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I see your point. My hope looking forward is Pittsburgh & Washington are on a downhill trajectory, & the Islanders are surpassable.

Either way, the nice thing about betting on a season outcome is that by the time the season ends so many months have passed that it doesn't feel like losing money. The blow was absorbed long ago.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Either way, the nice thing about betting on a season outcome is that by the time the season ends so many months have passed that it doesn't feel like losing money. The blow was absorbed long ago.
Maybe it comes down to game #82. If so, I hope you do the GDT with GB and the bet in the title.

It might be the most active GDT of the year.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad