GDT: #60 – Blackhawks at Sabres – Sun Feb 19, 6:00PM ET – NBCSN

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
JGhFP_xN_200x200.jpg
VS.
7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

BLACKHAWKS (35-18-5) at SABRES (26-23-10)

SUN FEB 19, 2017 @ 6:00 PM ET

TV: NBCSN

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 291)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 59 games
Johan Larsson (wrist, Jan. 3; injured reserve) – 23 games
William Carrier (knee, Feb.4; injured reserve) – 9 games
Zemgus Girgensons (middle body, Feb. 9; injured reserve) – 6 games
Derek Grant (shoulder, Feb. 18; injured reserve) – 1 game
Sam Reinhart (illness, Feb. 18) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/12: Activated D Zach Bogosian from IR; Placed F Zemgus Girgensons on IR
2/18: Recalled F Nicholas Baptiste from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Derek Grant on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Feb. 25: Buffalo at Colorado, 10 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 26: Buffalo at Arizona, 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 28: Nashville at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, March 2: Arizona at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 4: Tampa Bay at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

BLACKHAWKS AT SABRES
This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Blackhawks this season.
Last meeting: Chicago defeated Buffalo 4-3 (OT) in Chicago on Jan. 5.
The Sabres are 0-8-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Blackhawks, 5-4-1 at home.
This is the 119th game all-time between Buffalo and Chicago; Buffalo has a 53-50-15 series record.
The Sabres are 34-17-8 at home against the Blackhawks all-time.

Dan Bylsma Media Availability: February 19, 2017 at 3:30 pm at KeyBank Center

[NHL2]c-49531803[/NHL2]

[NHL2]c-49549703[/NHL2]

[NHL2]c-49549203[/NHL2]

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NBC Sports Celebrates "Hockey Day In America" Today With NHL Quadrupleheader On NBC/NBCSN.
"Hockey Day In America" Examines Hockey’s Impact and Influence Across United States Through Feature Stories and Profiles.

"Hockey Day In America" Schedule -
NBC - Game #1 - 12:40 pm ET - Washington Capitals at New York Rangers - Game #2 - 3:10 pm ET - Detroit Red Wings at Pittsburgh Penguins.
NBCSN - Game #3 - 6:10 pm ET - Chicago Blackhawks at Buffalo Sabres - Game #4 - 8:40 pm ET - Boston Bruins at San Jose Sharks.

NBC Sports’ studio team of host Liam McHugh and analysts Mike Milbury, Keith Jones, and Jeremy Roenick open pre-game coverage on NBC at 12:00 pm ET and will anchor "Hockey Day In America" coverage throughout the day on-site in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania from MassMutual Pittsburgh Ice Rink at PPG Place.

Throughout "Hockey Day in America" on Sunday, NBC Sports will shine a light on various stories that celebrate the impact that hockey has had in the United States. Feature stories that will air throughout the day include - “Hockey’s Heartfelt Purpose” - Columbus Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno comes from a hockey family which includes his father Mike Foligno, who played for the Buffalo Sabres, and his brother Marcus Foligno, who currently plays in Buffalo. Hockey took a backseat when Nick’s infant daughter Milana required surgery for a life-threatening heart defect. Nick Foligno and his wife donated $1 million to the Boston and Nationwide Children’s Hospitals, and now want to raise awareness and give back to the community at large.

Blackhawks (led by Patrick Kane) at Sabres (led by Jack Eichel) - Sunday, February 19 - 6:10 pm ET - NBCSN.
Chicago (35-18-5 - 75 points) has won five consecutive games heading into this weekend including a 5-1 win against Edmonton last Saturday.
Richard Panik scored twice, and Patrick Kane recorded a goal and two of his team-leading 39 assists, which are third-most in the NHL.
Buffalo (26-23-10 - 62 points) defeated the Senators 3-2 in Ottawa on Tuesday.
The Blackhawks beat the Sabres 4-3 in overtime in their only meeting this season, as Patrick Kane netted the game-winner 56 seconds into overtime.
Gord Miller (Play-By-Play) and Joe Micheletti ("Inside-the-Glass") will call the game from KeyBank Center in Buffalo, New York.

Chicago Blackhawks at Buffalo Sabres - 6:00 pm ET - NBCSN - The action shifts to NBCSN as Patrick Kane and the Blackhawks hope to teach Jack Eichel and the upstart Sabres a lesson or two. Chicago are in playoff position, as usual, while Buffalo is rallying to try to make a push of its own. Gord Miller and Joe Micheletti will be your guides.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ay-with-nhl-quadrupleheader-on-nbc-and-nbcsn/

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...press-pass-what-to-watch-february-17-20-2017/

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/02/19/nbc-and-nbcsn-have-you-covered-for-hockey-day-in-america/

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
For the first time in 5 years I am actually going to be nervous regarding a games outcome (in a non tank way, I don't mean like when we were scared we would win in the Eichel tank year :laugh: ) since we last made the playoffs and during the tank years every game I watched had me indifferent at best in regards to winning and actively rooting for losses (to ensure Jack and Sam). This is a welcome change. It's been far too ****ing long since we have been in the playoffs. We are in a franchise worst non playoff streak. The Sabres have been one of the best franchises in terms of winning % in NHL history. Time to get back to the playoffs where we belong. (Yes I am aware we have a 11% chance of playoffs)

I had no expectation at all this year that we would be playing meaningful games in mid February. We need this game bad. We can't just be content splitting a weekend series against STL and CHI just because they are two top teams, we are fighting for a playoff spot and have to approach each game as a must win type game. The Sabres were on a near 8 year losing streak against the Blues and we broke it. The Hawks have had their way with us in Buffalo for years with Patrick Kane usually tormenting us with game winners, that ENDS TODAY.

I know the team is tired but they have one more huge test before they get 5 days off to rest and recharge for the last 22 game stretch. We can't afford to come out flat. We have been playing great at home since the Calender changed years. I hope the crowd is in a frenzy, the crowd atmosphere has been downright appalling the last several years and now that we are actually in a playoff race the arena needs to be buzzing. I have high hopes that we can squeeze out a win, either by the usual suspects (Eichel, RoR, Kane, Reinhart, Okposo) leading us or our bottom 6 contributing heavily (Gionta, Foligno, Moulson, the kids). Gionta has been very quiet lately it would be a huge boon if he comes alive tonight and pots a goal. I expect Bailey, Baptiste and Rodrigues to go balls to the wall so hopefully the team and therefore the crowd can feed off that energy and get us a huge win. Beating the Blackhawks and then going into a bye with a 4 game win streak and 5 whole days where Jack can rest his ankle and RoR and Risto can rest and recharge instead of being forced to play extreme minutes would be monumental.

They are playing with confidence and when this team is playing like that using their speed to their advantage and when Eichel is out there playing like a game changing superstar center they can play with any team in the league. I won't make a prediction I'll just say win. Win no matter what. Just keep skating hard, blow by players forcing them to take penalties and let's draw enough where the #1 PP in the league can wreak havoc on Chicago. The Blackhawks PK is nearly as poor as ours. We draw enough PPs we can win this game. Hopefully Sam is able to go and we can sit Des. This is the type of game where you are hoping your big name free agent signing can put up a whale of a game and lead the team to victory. We played yesterday but so did Chicago and they are coming off a loss. We can't be intimidated by the Hawks and we have to play smart, skate hard and don't take idiotic penalties (looking squarely at Foligno)

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
They beat St. Louis and they've won 3 in a row. Asking them to win this one against Chicago is asking a lot. The Hawks are just coming out of their break, so they should be somewhat fresh. I'm telling myself now that if they lose this one, which they probably will, that I won't be mad. If they can somehow get it to OT and get a point I'll be thrilled. My guess is it'll be a 3-2 Hawks win.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Pulling out a win here would likely mean A TON morally for this team going forward. Not expecting that, though.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Pulling out a win here would likely mean A TON morally for this team going forward. Not expecting that, though.

I do expect them to show up and battle. If they take shifts off Chicago will eat them alive. Lehner needs to be extra sharp, IMO.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
Hopefully over this break period that is coming up they can get healthier heading into the final stretch of the season. I'm not really expecting a win, but getting them into OT and getting one point out of tonight would be great. Going into the break on a 4 game winning streak, while unexpected would be better. The funny thing is, before all the injuries etc, this is exactly where most predicted this team to be come the end of the year. Right on the playoff fringes, either just barely sneaking in or just barely edged out.

Kc232

Hi
Aug 12, 2008
I have ****ing loved all three of Baptiste, Bailey, and ERod. They bring the speed/skill/desperation that I havent seen on a consistent basis all year. It's players like this thats going to help us win these tough stretches of many games in few nights. For the love of god I know Dan won't do it, but friggen sit one of Moulson/Des/Ennis for these kids and keep the party rolling.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Anyway looking forward to a typical Chicago game. We will get a lead or be tied and then a horrific hilarious call will put them in position to tie/win it late.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
I have ****ing loved all three of Baptiste, Bailey, and ERod. They bring the speed/skill/desperation that I havent seen on a consistent basis all year. It's players like this thats going to help us win these tough stretches of many games in few nights. For the love of god I know Dan won't do it, but friggen sit one of Moulson/Des/Ennis for these kids and keep the party rolling.

Ennis just needs more time, i wouldn't sit him.
Deslauriers is on and off, but when he plays he can bring a nasty element to their game, he can stir the pot, complete lack of offensive production aside.
Moulson i agree, and i don't care for the argument that he delivers on the PP. Put a pylon there, and let Jack and ROR use it as a deflection device, almost the same value.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Stats say Okposo only has 32 giveaways this year

According to Bylsma, if Jack had as few giveaways, he would have been benched. :sarcasm:

But seriously, I think the stats regarding hits, take- and giveaways seem to always be a lot less than the eye-test suggests.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
According to Bylsma, if Jack had as few giveaways, he would have been benched. :sarcasm:

But seriously, I think the stats regarding hits, take- and giveaways seem to always be a lot less than the eye-test suggests.

True, I'm pretty sure we can find 20 KO giveaways in the last 10 games. (Assuming turnover and giveaway is the same thing)

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
If Sam is back please still play Baptiste. Need the talent today.

Agreed, but who do you take out, no one in the top 9 is leaving, and you have a 10 million dollar 4th line.

The third line is eating 12-15 minutes a game and in the past 5 have given up 1 goal and scored 2. Giving the top 6 a break and not worry about giving up a goal or two is so valuable.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Agreed, but who do you take out, no one in the top 9 is leaving, and you have a 10 million dollar 4th line.

The third line is eating 12-15 minutes a game and in the past 5 have given up 1 goal and scored 2. Giving the top 6 a break and not worry about giving up a goal or two is so valuable.

Start Sam with Moulson and Ennis. Adjust the bench as needed during the game.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Agree. If the team can go into the break with a win, team morale will sky rocket. The three games after break and prior to the TDL are very winnable games. When the break, games in hand will even out. Sabres could be in playoff position by March 1st. Big game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad