HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 6 years ago in a city 3,180 miles away

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
That cup run was magic and will never be touched.

first cup in my lifetime.

The Jacket

Big Z being sick and drinking a coke that looked like a nip bottle in his had.

Ference glove malfunction

Ryder glove save

game 7 OT win vs. hated Habs (Horton)

Redemption sweep of the Flyers

Seguin stepping in vs. the lighting

game 7 win again (Horton)

Pump my tiers and bite my finger

Horton gets hurt and gets the Jacket hung up in his locker after the game.

Merlot

so many memories

Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!Best Third period team in hockey!!!!!

(don't know if ference finger is allowed here.... it's on YT though) :D

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Never watched other playoff goalie highlights, but the B's sure gave up a lot of good goal scoring chances.

Thomas tracked the puck with incredible skill those playoffs, and never gave up on
any save. God mode.

Bmf316nhl

But there's no dog
Jul 8, 2007
3 miles south of MA.
Aside from the obvious game 7 wins… some of my favorite moments from the cup run…

Game 4 against Montreal… Montreal scores 2 quick one midway through the 2nd to take a 3-1 lead. Bruins staring a 3 games to 1 deficit in the face, they man up, take control of the game, have an equipment malfunction, come back and win 5-4 in OT.

Game 5 against Montreal… This game was epic in my book. The crowd at the Garden was phenomenal. 0-0 going into the 3rd (Thanks to Ryder’s glove save in the 1st), bruins take the lead only to see Montreal tie it with about 6:00 to play. We go to OT, both teams had their chances but cannot cash in. We go to double OT, Tim Thomas makes the save of the playoffs in my opinion on that 2on1. Horton Scores 2 or 3 minutes later to give the Bruins a 3-2 series lead.

Game 2 against Philly… This is the one game that Timmy flat-out stole in this cup run. Yes, he played great during the run, but this is the one game that I feel the Bruins won but had no business winning (well maybe game 5 in the Tampa Series). Bruins spot the Flyers a very early 2-0 lead thanks to 2 goals from JVR. Bruins actually tie the game at 2 before the 1st intermission. Meanwhile Tim Thomas makes 50+ saves, Bruins win on a Krejci OT goal that had to go to Video Review.

These are losses but I thought were great games… Game 4 against Tampa was a little bit of dejavu. Bruins blow a 3-0 lead to lose 4-3, same scenario that occurred just 53 weeks earlier, with the same guy (Simon Gagne) scoring the game winning goal. Game 6 against Tampa I thought was great back-and forth game. All 3 losses against Vancouver I though were pretty entertaining games as well.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Game 2 against Philly… This is the one game that Timmy flat-out stole in this cup run. Yes, he played great during the run, but this is the one game that I feel the Bruins won but had no business winning (well maybe game 5 in the Tampa Series). Bruins spot the Flyers a very early 2-0 lead thanks to 2 goals from JVR. Bruins actually tie the game at 2 before the 1st intermission. Meanwhile Tim Thomas makes 50+ saves, Bruins win on a Krejci OT goal that had to go to Video Review.

I was there and the Philly crowd was as loud as any I have ever heard. Not only did they want blood from what happened in Game 1 but then this happened.

Certainly nobody thought it would be the last game of the season in South Philly but it was.

Before the game I met a Flyers fan who made Rocky Balboa look like a rocket scientist. He said the Flyers are the defending champions and we will not lose to you. I said 'Ummm the Blackhawks won the Cup last year beating the Flyers' and he replied 'Yes, but Vancouver eliminated Chicago which makes us champions."
:amazed::help:

Last edited:

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
The morning of game 7 was brutal. All my friends were trying to get me to go to a bar or a friends party. But I watched it at home. With just my girlfriend. Then once it was over I went out.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008

That is all.​

If a name EVER should be etched into the Conn Smthe.. It's Tim ****ing Thomas.

That save against Tampa with his stick is STILL the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This was on the side of the Garden after the game

19105639_10100681354252969_8844597076437811086_n.jpg

Raptor Jesus!

19105907_10100681359976499_6071339345392549935_n.jpg

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

That is all.​

More highlight reel saves in that playoff run by Thomas than many goalies make in an entire career. So many pieces needed to win the Cup but there is no doubt without Thomas there would be no Cup that year. That was the definition of a player "in the zone." Still pisses me off to this day the way the national and Boston media skewered him for not going to the White House. Funny how it was not unprecedented when he did it and is now commonplace for some players to miss the White House visit. But when Thomas did it he was cast as an awful person for not going. I will never forgive certain members of the media for their piling on Thomas over that. That magical run does not take place without Thomas, and Thomas by all accounts is a very decent man. No need for the way certain media members treated him. They can **** right off. One of my all-time favorite Bruins. Thanks for posting the video.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
The day of Game 7....alternating between tears and wanting to throw up....had the game on TV muted and on XM radio...got into bed with the covers over my head...couldn't watch....had a glass of Carolans to celebrate....what a ride...

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was there and the Philly crowd was as loud as any I have ever heard. Not only did they want blood from what happened in Game 1 but then this happened.

Certainly nobody thought it would be the last game of the season in South Philly but it was.

Before the game I met a Flyers fan who made Rocky Balboa look like a rocket scientist. He said the Flyers are the defending champions and we will not lose to you. I said 'Ummm the Blackhawks won the Cup last year beating the Flyers' and he replied 'Yes, but Vancouver eliminated Chicago which makes us champions."
:amazed::help:

Speechless :facepalm:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
More highlight reel saves in that playoff run by Thomas than many goalies make in an entire career. So many pieces needed to win the Cup but there is no doubt without Thomas there would be no Cup that year. That was the definition of a player "in the zone." Still pisses me off to this day the way the national and Boston media skewered him for not going to the White House. Funny how it was not unprecedented when he did it and is now commonplace for some players to miss the White House visit. But when Thomas did it he was cast as an awful person for not going. I will never forgive certain members of the media for their piling on Thomas over that. That magical run does not take place without Thomas, and Thomas by all accounts is a very decent man. No need for the way certain media members treated him. They can **** right off. One of my all-time favorite Bruins. Thanks for posting the video.

Brady didn't go and it was fine, still don't know why it was made out to be such a big deal.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
When you see all the best Thomas saves in one video it's really remarkable.

I forgot how many breakaways the team let up...

I know it's a huge bone of contention on this board when members say Tim Thomas almost singlehandedly won the Cup, but some of those saves were otherworldly. He was in such a zone.

Best night of my life as a fan of any team in any sport.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I forgot how many breakaways the team let up...

I know it's a huge bone of contention on this board when members say Tim Thomas almost singlehandedly won the Cup, but some of those saves were otherworldly. He was in such a zone.

Best night of my life as a fan of any team in any sport.

Love seeing you posting again :)

So many good moments.

Timmy knocking the Sedin over.:laugh:

Looch giving Burrows something to cry about :laugh:

I loved all of it

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Looking at these clips and how far the team is from that makes me sad. Great run, great games, great time, but man, Sweeney has his work cut out to get them back to this level.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Looking at these clips and how far the team is from that makes me sad. Great run, great games, great time, but man, Sweeney has his work cut out to get them back to this level.

I don't know how you do it Lonnie. You are the most glass is half full guy I know.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

Never liked the song choice.

Listen to this video with the song "When you're young" By 3 doors down.

It REALLY fits.

As for the day.

After game 5 I was devestated. I was convinced we would lose in 6 and wonder where things went wrong. They played so well at home and couldn't win in Vancouver. I lost faith. I went to bed at 830pm that night.

Game 6 comes and I watch video that Don Cherry played that showed them coming out to the bench and "soaking it in" But Cherry was mad because they hadn't done that before.
Game 6 starts and less than 6 minutes in and it's 1-0 and they just went from there.

After game 6 I said "All they have to do is win one now."

It's 3-0 in the 3rd with 8 minutes left and they show a shot of Mark's recchi's family and his girls were about the same age as mine and I said "That's Mark Recchi's family, he's playing in his last game because they're going to ........" I couldn't get the word out. That's when it hit me.

It's still a blur, a dream, that happened last night.

Sports wise I don't know if it'll ever get any better than that. The wait, the anguish of 1988, 1990, 2009, 2010.

I was not feeling "up to snuff" the next morning. But I really didn't care. They played "we are the champions" on the way to work and I screamed, I sang, I laughed and I cried, pretty much all at once.

Go Bruins. 4 life.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't know how they did it Lonnie. They squandered a Cup window that should have stayed open for 6-7 years in only 2 years.

Fixed it for you, Scott...:naughty:

On a positive, they showed a lot of growth last season. They're headed in the right direction and they have a lot of young players that should start contributing to the big club in the next couple of seasons. It still stings watching the freaking Penguins hoist the cup twice in a row, and seeing how far down the B's fell after a way too brief stay at the top. They were poised to make an extended run and the arrogance of the front office pissed it away and had to start over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad