HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 6 years ago in a city 3,180 miles away

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
Still shocked I never took a heart attack at some point during that run.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Viva La Cage!

Watching the Cup DVD and I will never forget Ryder's save against the Habs

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
The cheap shots on chara, defence and pevs in game 7 still **** me off. But we won. They lost. So it's all good.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I remember working at the umass library, top floor half the time, listening to the sports hub all day and just thinking hockey 24/7. Used to ride my bike to work, get out at 5 most days, grab a six pack (which was still especially novel considering I turned 21 on April 22nd) and ride with it dangling from my handle bar, two fingers still stretched forward to pull the breaks. Then I'd get home and either order wings or sibies pizza and or grill outside with the mates. What a roller coaster and truly story book run.

I really needed it that year too, girlfriend and I on the outs, her father was dying, I learned the hard way depression is very much a real thing - but little by little that cup run coincided with my life taking a big up turn. Looking back on it, everything makes sense, but I remember at the time I never at any moment thought we'd win the cup let alone the series or the game at hand.

I have a feeling we'll see them go on a similar climb with all new faces, in the not so distant future. But that one will certainly be the most important, forever.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I remember working at the umass library, top floor half the time, listening to the sports hub all day and just thinking hockey 24/7. Used to ride my bike to work, get out at 5 most days, grab a six pack (which was still especially novel considering I turned 21 on April 22nd) and ride with it dangling from my handle bar, two fingers still stretched forward to pull the breaks. Then I'd get home and either order wings or sibies pizza and or grill outside with the mates. What a roller coaster and truly story book run.

I really needed it that year too, girlfriend and I on the outs, her father was dying, I learned the hard way depression is very much a real thing - but little by little that cup run coincided with my life taking a big up turn. Looking back on it, everything makes sense, but I remember at the time I never at any moment thought we'd win the cup let alone the series or the game at hand.

I have a feeling we'll see them go on a similar climb with all new faces, in the not so distant future. But that one will certainly be the most important, forever.

I remember seeing "you grow up" kinda in the older days late teens I think until now. You've always been a good guy. I hope you dad and sister are doing well, and of course you too! Those were great times.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
One of the best parts for me was buying all the champions gear. Shirts and hats and sweat shirts... wearing them proudly in NJ with my chest puffed out. Took me til age 42 to enjoy a Stanley Cup victory.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
the good old days...dont get me started on the current team the last 3 years have been a waste

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
By the night of June 15th I was exhausted working for the then Versus and NBC.

There was a LOT of travel that final month because Boston/Tampa was no picnic either. In late May there are fewer direct flights between Boston and Tampa as the snowbirds are back north and I wound up flying into Orlando and then dealing with the dreaded I-4. Still that was a picnic compared to Vancouver.

There is NO direct service between the 2 cities and to make things worse Air Canada went on strike the day before Game 7. Most of us based in Boston had already decided to fly into Seattle and drive to Vancouver which is 145 miles from Sea-Tac.

Vancouver is a beautiful city but makes Boston look inexpensive.

Toughest part of my job is being without emotion as the game is being played as my overlords don't appreciate shaky camera work but I was a basket case after the second period with the B's up 3-0 and the third period took 3 days to play.

I can not describe what it felt like when I heard 'Dirty Water' over the Rogers Arena PA. :D

By 9:30 PM our work was done and the original plan was to celebrate in Vancouver but as we were leaving the arena a Vancouver cop told us 'Get those hats off and out of sight or you might get shot' and he was not kidding. Took us about 5 seconds to decide that getting back to Seattle was a very good idea. :laugh:

The US border is only 30 miles from Vancouver and traffic on the 99 Freeway was light and there was no wait at the border and we continued down I-5 listening to Vancouver sports radio which made Boston sports radio sound like NPR. The station was not censoring callers and it was toxic.

We made it to Seattle around Midnight and the place we were at had every TV showing the riots and then we just started to compress what we had been through.

I returned to Vancouver to work a Bruins road game a couple of seasons ago and I made sure I wore my 2011 Stanley Cup Champions hat. I went to a Starbucks on Granville St and the barista started bawling when she saw the hat. Is it wrong that I really enjoyed that?
:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad