Sportsnet: 6 ways Senators could surprise critics in all-Canadian division

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I don't disagree with you at all, but I think it's very difficult to claim that he "disappears in the playoffs" when you take a look at his stats. If Aragorn had said what you just stated, I would've agreed.

Yeah but if you look at his stats, they're just inconsistent. Yeah he's got 6 points in 5 games this year, and 6 points in 7 games the year before. But those 6 points came in 3 games this past year, 5 in 2 games. Same thing against Boston, he scored his 6 points in 4 games. In the past 2 seasons he's pointless and a -6 in 5/12 games. Maybe those were games where the other team were targeting him out on the ice? I think there may be some truth to what Aragon says, he does disappear in the playoffs it seems. He appears sometimes, but he also disappears.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Yeah but if you look at his stats, they're just inconsistent. Yeah he's got 6 points in 5 games this year, and 6 points in 7 games the year before. But those 6 points came in 3 games this past year, 5 in 2 games. Same thing against Boston, he scored his 6 points in 4 games. In the past 2 seasons he's pointless and a -6 in 5/12 games. Maybe those were games where the other team were targeting him out on the ice? I think there may be some truth to what Aragon says, he does disappear in the playoffs it seems. He appears sometimes, but he also disappears.

Inconsistent is not "disappearing in the playoffs". I can agree with you that he may have poor performances in elimination games, but then the argument should be that he has poor performances in elimination games. Disappearing in the playoffs is Johnny Gaudreau, not Auston Matthews.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Inconsistent is not "disappearing in the playoffs". I can agree with you that he may have poor performances in elimination games, but then the argument should be that he has poor performances in elimination games. Disappearing in the playoffs is Johnny Gaudreau, not Auston Matthews.

Matthews total playoff points really aren't that different than Johnny Gaudreau's. And both have scored in the exact same rate in elimination games (3/7 elimination games they've scored a point). Both have 19 points (Matthews 5 less games), and both are minus players.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Matthews total playoff points really aren't that different than Johnny Gaudreau's. And both have scored in the exact same rate in elimination games (3/7 elimination games they've scored a point).

Gaudreau went two playoffs without scoring a goal. We're going to have to agree to disagree. I also haven't disagreed with you (or anyone for that matter) regarding elimination game scoring.

I just don't see how someone could look at Matthews' point totals in the playoffs and say that he "disappears". Inconsistent play? Sure. Poor elimination games? Sure. But his point totals are proof that he does not "disappear".

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Gaudreau went two playoffs without scoring a goal. We're going to have to agree to disagree. I also haven't disagreed with you (or anyone for that matter) regarding elimination game scoring.

I just don't see how someone could look at Matthews' point totals in the playoffs and say that he "disappears". Inconsistent play? Sure. Poor elimination games? Sure. But his point totals are proof that he does not "disappear".

I guess some people would consider it disappearing if you only show up for 2 or 3 games every playoffs, rack up points, and then disappear for the other (more important) games.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Looking at playoff numbers requires some nuance. I don't think Matthews has been that bad in the postseason. He's had some very good games. But he also hasn't stepped up when his team needed him most.

In series deciding games in his 4 years, Matthews has 0 goals, 1 assist and is a -2. In the last two years, he has 0 points an is a -4. So he certainly hasn't delivered when the pressure has been at it's peak.\

The playoffs aren't just about how much you produce, it's when you produce.

Couldn't agree more. The playoffs are about getting it done. They're about winning. C or no C, he's the leader and best player on that team. And they ain't winning

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I guess some people would consider it disappearing if you only show up for 2 or 3 games every playoffs, rack up points, and then disappear for the other (more important) games.

I'll consider that Matthews and the gang showed up for the playoffs when they start winning in the playoffs

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I saw that but .. I woudn't take it to the bank that he actually said it

Why not? You're going to give the guy who sexually harasses women at 2am the benefit of the doubt that he has a shit attitude? Over the course of his playing career, he has a grand total of 7 minutes of PK time, averaging out to 2 seconds per game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why not? You're going to give the guy who sexually harasses women at 2am the benefit of the doubt that he has a shit attitude? Over the course of his playing career, he has a grand total of 7 minutes of PK time, averaging out to 2 seconds per game.
oh so now he sexually harassed her? I had not heard that either. Harrassed... yes , pulled a moon, acted like a dickass .. but I never heard sexually harrassed. So all in all .. He would not pass Dorion's high character guy test .. is what you are saying.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
oh so now he sexually harassed her? I had not heard that either. Harrassed... yes , pulled a moon, acted like a dickass .. but I never heard sexually harrassed. So all in all .. He would not pass Dorion's high character guy test .. is what you are saying.

Maybe your definition of sexual harassment is different than mine, but I consider exposing yourself to someone to be indecent exposure and sexual harassment. Interesting you'd rather get into a discussion on the semantics of the harassment rather than address the question I asked.

He would not pass my high character test. There is such thing as someone who can poison the locker room. And in this hypothetical situation where Matthews is our #1C, well I'd rather a different hypothetical of having someone like Eichel, Pettersson, or McDavid as out #1C instead.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe your definition of sexual harassment is different than mine, but I consider exposing yourself to someone to be indecent exposure and sexual harassment. Interesting you'd rather get into a discussion on the semantics of the harassment rather than address the question I asked.
was your choice of the "sexual harrassment" term not part of the question. ..move on .. I don't care enough and we are not getting Matthews anyway

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
was your choice of the "sexual harrassment" term not part of the question. ..move on .. I don't care enough and we are not getting Matthews anyway
Fine, call it good ol' fashion regular harassment. You're going to give the benefit of the doubt on a shitty attitude to the guy who harasses women at 2am?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Fine, call it good ol' fashion regular harassment. You're going to give the benefit of the doubt on a shitty attitude to the guy who harasses women at 2am?
no. I think it was very juvenile. I hope he learned his lesson but that wasn't good. I think that is a maturity issue. He doesn't strike me as a humble kid.
He supposedly had his boxers on when he pulled his pants down... just stupid.
She then alleges that Matthews pulled his pants down, bent over and “grabbed his butt cheeks.”
When asked by the officer if “she saw skin” or if Matthews was wearing underwear, the complainant replied “he knew he had his boxers on, and she did not see his butt.”
Leafs' Auston Matthews facing a charge of disorderly conduct in Scottsdale | Toronto Sun

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Doug MacLean thinks Ottawa needs to get Brady a number #1 centre to play with to have him sign a long term contract..

He aint wrong. I think that move will come from within(Stuetzle) or we will dish out a big trade for Eichel/Barkov or someone who will surely be available due to the cap. It's inevitable and we will be prime for the picking (and due to pandemic we might be only team that can accommodate).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We are still a ways away.

That doesn’t mean we can’t win some games.

We had a good start last year and it predictably disappeared by the winter.

I typically evaluate teams in terms of the number of question marks - the more question marks, the less likely they all go right.

We have a lot.

The team I think is a bit overrated is the Habs - I don’t buy in to their 4 unstoppable lines storyline that is percolating around here.

A lot is riding on Suzuki, Danault and Kotkaniemi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad