Post-Game Talk: #6| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | June 23RD | 8:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can see no changes tonight from Barry, but if he does add Wally. I would not be against this. He hasn't played in a month though. It would be jumping in to the fast lane from a standing start, but I think it's worth the risk.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I expect no lineup changes. This is the team Trotz went to battle and got this far with. This is the lineup he is going to let self-correct the mistakes they made in Game 5.

Reactions: Big L

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I expect no lineup changes. This is the team Trotz went to battle and got this far with. This is the lineup he is going to let self-correct the mistakes they made in Game 5.
Yup. I feel like they might think a line up change is a magic pill. This is no magic pill... you want to win, figure it out.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Isnt Vasy really really good in elimination games?

Mixed results. He's mostly effective after losses. He has had some stinkers in elimination games where he's been bailed out by the team where he's allowed 4 goals...also was atrocious in game 6 and 7 vs WSH in 2018. He's usually best early or mid series following losses.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Not much to say but backs against the wall, Barzy's going to have a target on his back and cant react, stay out of the box, and damnit everyone get back on defense tonight; have to limit the odd man rushes.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Also, with many of you speaking about Montreal, I am not trying to take anything away from them, they are on a run and good for them. But while we all just assumed who was coming out of the awful division would get destroyed, there is an angle that I feel like none of us focused on. While Tampa, Vegas and the Isles have been through wars with teams like Colorado, Boston, Carolina, Florida, Minnesota and Pittsburgh, Montreal has faced cream puffs for two rounds. They probably did not get so much as a bruise facing those awful soft teams from their division.

Reactions: mm11

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
does anyone have the Herb Brooks speech downloaded ? To quote " If you lose this game you will take it to your FU@KING Graves "

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I expect we'll see a 60 minute effort from the isles, after that 8-0 blowout.

Let's go isles.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
I expect them to play a great game tonight…hopefully it’s enough to force a game 7…

if they don’t, they deserve to go home…

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Also, with many of you speaking about Montreal, I am not trying to take anything away from them, they are on a run and good for them. But while we all just assumed who was coming out of the awful division would get destroyed, there is an angle that I feel like none of us focused on. While Tampa, Vegas and the Isles have been through wars with teams like Colorado, Boston, Carolina, Florida, Minnesota and Pittsburgh, Montreal has faced cream puffs for two rounds. They probably did not get so much as a bruise facing those awful soft teams from their division.
They have faced so-called weaker competition, but they also have faced 3 high octane offenses and shut each of them down. That's a team commitment, but it's also that annual playoff 'X' factor of the goalie. STL does not win w/o Binnington going on that run - he's returned to mediocre. They had several chances with Allen and he routinely failed them.

Reactions: MJF

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I expect them to play a great game tonight…hopefully it’s enough to force a game 7…

if they don’t, they deserve to go home…
I agree. I dont know why but I feel like we are about to see the best effort of the season tonight. Lets put it this way though, if we dont, there is something wrong.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Before the series began: The Lightning aren't the Bruins or Pens. They are a much deeper team and Vasy is on another level entirely when compared to Jarry or Rask.

It all came to a head Monday.

It is rather easy if you have watched the series to say the 8 goals were an outlier. NY played them relatively even the other 4 games and had allowed only 9 goals total. You didn't need gratuitous bounce after bounce winding up on the next TB forward's stick to be able to claim that.

What isn't an outlier is our continuing struggles on being able to score. We got shutout, lowering our average goals per game in the series from an already pathetic 2 to a an even more depressing 1.6. To put it into complete perspective, the Lightning just scored as many goals in one game as we have in the entire series so far.

Their superhuman goaltender; Andrei Vasilevskiy; just improved to 17-0 this season when facing 27 shots or less. We managed 21 on Monday. It is really no surprise that our two wins were when we managed 30 SOG against them.

Meanwhile, we continue to get nothing from our power play. Make that now 1 for our last 15 with a man-advantage, with ironically the lone goal coming on a penalty call that never should have been.

Of course no Islander forward (based on just about every metric there is) was better on the PP than Oliver Wahlstrom this season.

And of course, no Islander forward came remotely close to attempting more shots (the only one over 4pg) or getting more shots on net per ATOI than Wahlstrom did either....

We needed Ollie from the get go...

But I guess since we are now in the "did you see what the Islanders did in the last two games after getting completely dominated 8-0" needing a miracle phase, I digress...

Now I just don't want the last game we will ever see at the Barn to be picturing them celebrating on our ice....

I want a game 7...period.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Jake Evans says hi

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
voodoo-doll-tampa-bay.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad