Post-Game Talk: #6 | Sharks at Flyers | October 23, 2022 | 7:00pm | Loss 3-0

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So many fans here want every player on the team held to the same expectations.

You trying to tell me the Flyers shouldn't have higher expectations for their supposed best players than their bottom-of-the-lineup players?

If that's the case, then pay them all exactly equally and give every player on the team the same amount of ice time.

Otherwise, you better believe Travis Konecny isn't and shouldn't be judged on the same standard as Zack MacEwen and Nic Deslauriers.

Says the vaccinated guy to the unvaccinated guy.

When bad players play badly they shouldn't be held accountable because they're bad? How circular.

Sooo accountability doesn't exist and is only used to make the team worse because coaching and management despise skill?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
When bad players play badly they shouldn't be held accountable because they're bad? How circular.

Sooo accountability doesn't exist and is only used to make the team worse because coaching and management despise skill?
And DeAngelo shouldn't be held accountable either because we know he'd deficient defensively...

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
So many fans here want every player on the team held to the same expectations.

You trying to tell me the Flyers shouldn't have higher expectations for their supposed best players than their bottom-of-the-lineup players?

If that's the case, then pay them all exactly equally and give every player on the team the same amount of ice time.

Otherwise, you better believe Travis Konecny isn't and shouldn't be judged on the same standard as Zack MacEwen and Nic Deslauriers.
Sure thing, champ.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Deslauriers, Laczynski, Sedlak, Laughton are leading the Flyers in xGFrel, along with Zamula and Seeler.
So it's hard to make the argument that they're playing badly.

MacEwen is another story, he's more impressive on the ice (aggressively forechecking) than in the metrics (all that action seems to put him on the road to nowhere).

But it's early, just doesn't make much sense getting bent out of shape about personnel decisions after six games.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Do you think anywhere else in any organization that poor performers are expected to do big things being poor performers?

It's not circular - the standards are never, and have never, been the same. Nor should they. Then we should normalize every player in the world in performance, and subsequently, their salary.

Yes, it is ok to expect bad players to be bad - that's called the right expectations. It is not ok, for good players, to be bad.

I want our 'best players' to be held to a higher standard. Whether our best is good enough is a different story, entirely.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Do you think anywhere else in any organization that poor performers are expected to do big things being poor performers?

It's not circular - the standards are never, and have never, been the same. Nor should they. Then we should normalize every player in the world in performance, and subsequently, their salary.

Yes, it is ok to expect bad players to be bad - that's called the right expectations. It is not ok, for good players, to be bad.

I want our 'best players' to be held to a higher standard. Whether our best is good enough is a different story, entirely.
The you want the best 23 available (Healthy) players on the roster which is also what we don't see right now.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's hard to tell who's playing dumb and who isn't playing.

Even more confusing is trying to understand the motivation behind embarrassing themselves in defense of a horrible GM, a horrible coach, and horrible players.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
TK handled it correctly in his postgame interview. "I mean, I was out there for both goals. I'm sure that had something to do with it."

I strongly, strongly disagree with the coaching and the benching...but yes, TK showed me something with that quote.

Rooting for that dude.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The you want the best 23 available (Healthy) players on the roster which is also what we don't see right now.
The "best" or the "most talented."
Foerster is more talented than half the forwards on this team, but is also not NHL ready.

And much of this season is sorting through players, it's one thing to play 25 year old Laczynski limited minutes at 4RW, but not 20 year old Wisdom.

It's a long season, a lot will change, people get bent out of shape in October, they'll be ready for a straight jacket by March.

Meanwhile Attard and Desnoyers (still at center) are off to good starts in LHV.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The bad players almost never meet with a single scrap of accountability. It is ridiculous for them to have limitless leeway to suck just because they suck.

That kind of mindset is why this team has been bad for years.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The bad players almost never meet with a single scrap of accountability. It is ridiculous for them to have limitless leeway to suck just because they suck.

That kind of mindset is why this team has been bad for years.
MacEwen got promoted after an awful game, even for someone as consistently horrible as him.

TK got benched for the rest of the game for a single mistake.

There's not a single honest person on Earth who can defend this type of stupidity.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some of these decisions depend on long-term roles.

If you think Laczynski has a future in the top 9, you send him back to LHV when Atkinson and Tippett return, if you think his ceiling is 4RW, you leave him there b/c no point in playing in the bottom six in LHV at his age. So you don't care if he only plays 8 minutes a night. But right now they're probably sheltering him as he gains confidence in his skating after two surgeries.

I don't think they're in love with MacEwen, he was waived before the season started, they're just using him to jump start lines while they wait for the walking wounded to return. It's MacEwen or Hodgson. The fact they don't use MacEwen on the PK suggests they don't trust his defensive instincts.

Sedlak was a reliable 4C in CBJ, they're probably curious if he upped his game after three seasons in a major role in the KHL.

Seeler and Braun are placeholders, they want York to get his crap together and Attard to learn defensive fundamentals, but both are destined for starting roles at some point his season. For now, I think they alternate them with Zamula when Risto returns.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The Flyers have high expectations for TK. They see a potential Marchand type player there. If he goofs up, they want to call him on it and have him up his game. What good would it do to discipline MacEwan, or some of the other slop at the end of the bench. They are place holders until the injured return or the guys at LHV get their game together. When that happens those guys will be out of here. Coaches ignore the guys with no future and invest in the ones that do.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers have high expectations for TK. They see a potential Marchand type player there. If he goofs up, they want to call him on it and have him up his game. What good would it do to discipline MacEwan, or some of the other slop at the end of the bench. They are place holders until the injured return or the guys at LHV get their game together. When that happens those guys will be out of here. Coaches ignore the guys with no future and invest in the ones that do.
This is of course the correct take.

But as I always say, a number of posters are extremely sensitive to anything critical and/or non-complimentary of their favorite players. Any perceived slight of one of their infallible heroes is like an attack on them personally.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s pretty simple.

Benching TK = team gets worse
Benching MacEwen = team gets better

How is this even a question?

Meanwhile, Torts has only praised the worst shit on the roster and keeps giving them more icetime. Imagine being a good player and seeing that, while you get bitched at and benched for nothing.

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad