GDT: (6) Providence Bruins vs (3) Hartford WolfPack

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Serious question for the masses:

So the general consensus is that when Sweeney is named GM of the Bruins, that Claude Julien will be safe as coach. Is that correct?

Is it also the general consensus that when Sweeney is named GM of the Bruins that he gives Cassidy the boot?

It is also the consensus that Sweeney will not add Cassidy as an assistant coach to the Bruins. Is that correct?

Julien's opinion of Cassidy aside (whatever that may be) do we know that it's not Sweeney's call as to whether Cassidy becomes an assistant coach in Boston?

NHL coaches hire assistant coaches, not GM's.

Sacco said he contacted Julien once he learned of Ward's departure, and Julien said he knew Sacco was the right fit for his staff after an exhaustive interview process.

"I had a number of real good interviews and at the end Joe really stood out for us because of a number of reasons," Julien said. "He's got some great experience not only as a hockey player but also as an assistant coach, whether it's in the American league or NHL, and also a head coach in both leagues. He's been a player so we all know he'll have instant respect from our players. For me it was important to get one of those coaches. I give them a lot of responsibilities and it was important to have someone I could feel comfortable and trust. Joe was that guy."

Babcock said he hires men he knows can be a coach, and he does so without concern for his job security even though his confidence in them is so strong he believes they could do his job, at least eventually. He doesn't care where they come from, as long as they are highly recommended. They don't have to have NHL experience; McLellan and Peters did not.

I could copy quote after quote of NHL coaches who say "they hire their own assistants", but you get the point.

Just want to make the point that Cassidy being promoted to an assistant job falls on Julien (or whoever) and that Sweeney (or whoever) is not going to stand in the way.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Serious question for the masses:

So the general consensus is that when Sweeney is named GM of the Bruins, that Claude Julien will be safe as coach. Is that correct?

Is it also the general consensus that when Sweeney is named GM of the Bruins that he gives Cassidy the boot?

It is also the consensus that Sweeney will not add Cassidy as an assistant coach to the Bruins. Is that correct?

Julien's opinion of Cassidy aside (whatever that may be) do we know that it's not Sweeney's call as to whether Cassidy becomes an assistant coach in Boston?

NHL coaches hire assistant coaches, not GM's.

I could copy quote after quote of NHL coaches who say "they hire their own assistants", but you get the point.

Just want to make the point that Cassidy being promoted to an assistant job falls on Julien (or whoever) and that Sweeney (or whoever) is not going to stand in the way.

Pretty sure I remember reading that Julien was the guy who didn't want Cassidy on the staff in Boston when Ward's spot became available, and that Julien's snubbing of Cassidy is ultimately what triggered Chiarelli to award the contract extension in Providence for his old pal … Thus giving him some financial security and a "consolation prize". Chiarell no doubt would have loved to have Cassidy in Boston. Julien nixed it, and Sweeney probably developed a little soft spot in his heart for Cloooooooode because of it :)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Pretty sure I remember reading that Julien was the guy who didn't want Cassidy on the staff in Boston when Ward's spot became available, and that Julien's snubbing of Cassidy is ultimately what triggered Chiarelli to award the contract extension in Providence for his old pal … Thus giving him some financial security and a "consolation prize". Chiarell no doubt would have loved to have Cassidy in Boston. Julien nixed it, and Sweeney probably developed a little soft spot in his heart for Cloooooooode because of it :)

So, in other words, you agree that it's Julien's call (or whoever replaces him if that's the case) and not Sweeney's (or whoever else may be named GM)?

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
So, in other words, you agree that it's Julien's call (or whoever replaces him if that's the case) and not Sweeney's (or whoever else may be named GM)?

It depends … In Cloooooooooode's case, he's a proven and established coach. He's earned the right to assemble his own staff, IMO, and probably wouldn't have it any other way. If it were a re-building team with all new coaching being brought in, the GM may want to hand pick the staff himself to start. Particularly if the new head coach was newer to the league and less proven than a veteran coach.

I think it really depends on the particular GM and the head coach, and the position of said hockey club. I'm fine with Cloooooooooode being given latitude in choosing his own staff, even though I'm not a fan of Sacco. A guy like Dallas Eakins on the other hand, a GM interested in hiring him may only do so on the condition that the assistants around him are picked by upper management … And that might not be negotiable for a guy in not-so-high demand looking to get back into the league.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I would say that as a general rule of thumb, head coaches are allowed to hire their own assistants. If the GM had issues with that coach specifically, I would think that he would override that call? Julien had the chance to name Cassidy as one of his assistants last offseason...and didn't. I don't see what has changed?

If Clode isn't the HC, pretty sure the GM does have some say in who the next one will be. Somehow, I don't picture Cassidy as being Sweeny's (or any GM's) first choice.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Spoke to someone yesterday who gave me some new perspective of the GM search. The Boston GM will decide cassidy fate and if it ends up Sweeney expect him gone. I may have more insight in GM thread about what may be going on someone is trying to check out something before I comment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad