Post-Game Talk: #6 - Devils at Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Staal is done as a top 4 defender and Ryan McDonagh hasn't looked like a first pairing d-man once this season.

The defense is in shambles and the offense is having trouble putting the puck in the net over the last few games. Offense will start scoring 3 a game at some point. Our defense is not good.

What did Staal do wrong today? He was fine. Girardi and McD played like garbage, how did Staal come into conversation?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Kreider attempts shots at about the same rate as Derek Stepan. We don't need new, expensive shooter, we just need our players to shoot the puck.

There is definitely a certain touch pure goal scorers have. If Zucc shoots more, would he be the Norwegian Teemu Salanne? Kreider's issue has to do with how many games he plays compared to how many times he's on the ice. Aside, from Kreider's power foward style, which is a drive to the net, the Rangers do not have a single true sniper, and we aren't even getting into whether they have an elite one [they dont].

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Based on everything I've heard about Buch, he would not change the dynamic much at all. Not an insult, I'm stoked on him, but it's not like he's shooting every time he gets the puck, he likes to hold the puck and make plays, pick his spots, based on what I've heard, could be wrong.

You're absolutely right. Buch is the creative guy who likes to make plays. He'll score, but it's not his calling card. Duclair is the sniper, shoot first guy. Different players.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Based on everything I've heard about Buch, he would not change the dynamic much at all. Not an insult, I'm stoked on him, but it's not like he's shooting every time he gets the puck, he likes to hold the puck and make plays, pick his spots, based on what I've heard, could be wrong.

Your right to a extent. But buch will shoot more then most of our players on our team.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
set up ambush game today

1pm start.

the lousy devils

msg

and so we arrive all cocky and thinking we can just win the game with 50% effort and mindless skating. problem is, we dont score. and when you dont score, guess what.... you dont win.

nope.

today i saw way to many-

backhand passes to no one.
clueless clear attempts
chances to get pucks out resulting in flubbed passes and chipshot whifs.
turnovers in bad places.
overskating pucks and passing into skates.

and forget the shooting part.

we should make these guys watch endless loops of our 5 on 4 stupidness. standing still, passing to no one, cycling to no where and the shooting...... oh god, the shooting....

taking too much time to tee it up only to blast it into someones shins. or missing the net, or shooting wide. over and over. all season so far. other than oscar lindberg and a few stepans, we stink.

this was a classic case of the big bad rangers taking the weak devils for granted. we strong. you suck. 50% effort and we win.

subtract hagelin and msl, add lindberg, stoll, etem and stalberg to the bad rick nash, suddenly clueless ryan mcdonagh, sophomore slump khayes and a continued terrible powerplay all with 50% effort and you get today.

learn
from
it

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Did you see the Henrique goal?

Where Girardi went down on a knee, let Henrique shoot, then proceeded to allow him to walk in and bang in the rebound and Girardi for some reason never got back up? That one? Or do you mean when Staal was pressured by two guys for the puck? I think the blame goes to Girardi on that one.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
There is definitely a certain touch pure goal scorers have. If Zucc shoots more, would he be the Norwegian Teemu Salanne? Kreider's issue has to do with how many games he plays compared to how many times he's on the ice. Aside, from Kreider's power foward style, which is a drive to the net, the Rangers do not have a single true sniper, and we aren't even getting into whether they have an elite one [they dont].

There aren't many 'true snipers' in the game, and only a handful of elite ones (hence elite). But I've always felt the pureness of a goalscorer gets over-talked about. It's something a Joe Michelleti would say when he doesn't have any actual insight to add into how a goal was scored. Ovechkin is a pure sniper bc he shoots the puck A LOT. His shot has a lot of weight, velocity, and accuracy, and he's got an incredible release. Very few players have all those qualities. Kreider, imo has a heavy shot with good velocity and he's improved his release a lot, which we saw mostly in the pre-season bc he's stopped shooting since then. If he upped his volume, like a Rick Nash, he'd score a lot more. Rick Nash gets 4 shots a game, he scores more goals than most anyone. His shot is not very heavy, not very fast, but its accurate and he's got a very quick release.

If Kreider wanted to, he could be an elite scorer, maybe not a pure sniper, but if he's putting shots on net and crashing the net every game, it won't matter bc he'll get plenty of goals. This team scored in bunches last year without the mythical 'pure sniper' and they can continue to do so, and even improve internally.

There's plenty of space between 15 goal scorer and Teemu Selanne.
(Also Zucc pretty much is the Norweigen Teemu lol)

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Vrbata has been my target since June. History with Yandle. Though, every day we keep Glass on the roster to eat at the cap is only going to make the deadline harder.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Where Girardi went down on a knee, let Henrique shoot, then proceeded to allow him to walk in and bang in the rebound and Girardi for some reason never got back up? That one? Or do you mean when Staal was pressured by two guys for the puck? I think the blame goes to Girardi on that one.

Staal could have stopped Henrique from getting multiple chances but decided to float back to the net after he was the one who turned the puck over.

I criticize Girardi and yeah he made a mistake on that play, but at least he cares.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Staal could have stopped Henrique from getting multiple chances but decided to float back to the net after he was the one who turned the puck over.

I criticize Girardi and yeah he made a mistake on that play, but at least he cares.

Staal crosschecked him after he scored...he cares :sarcasm:

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Since Christmas 2013:

2nd in GF (272)
4th in GA (204)
1st +/- (+74 next highest is 57, then 49!)

2ECF, 1SCF

Hard to see where you're coming from

theres a difference between playing zone and torts style 6 goalie system..
the man to man system tends to leave us chasing and slow guys like girardi and staal being burnt.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
theres a difference between playing zone and torts style 6 goalie system..
the man to man system tends to leave us chasing and slow guys like girardi and staal being burnt.

not sure what this is alluding to. man to man has worked very well for this team. I agree that Staal and Girardi have not excelled, but were they actually faring any better in zone? I'm not sure I get your point

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Yeah, really! We've seen Hank play flat out insane and they STILL lose.

sure but we've seen Talbot give up 5 and we still win. The point was that Hank is absolutely dictating the defensive numbers, but the number doesn't lie, this team scores a lot under AV.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
sure but we've seen Talbot give up 5 and we still win. The point was that Hank is absolutely dictating the defensive numbers, but the number doesn't lie, this team scores a lot under AV.

Slightly OT, but....I thought AV said Raanta was going to start this game. I don't get why he isn't in a game yet. He needs to get his feet wet with this team.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

Sure looked like Staal was trying to cover the trailer, Cammalieri, under the assumption that Hayes was going to pick up the other guy near the net (Stempniak). Instead, Hayes does nothing to tie up anybody, turning what should have been a 2 on 2 into a mini 2 on 1 that Girardi has to defend.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
I was watching the game with my mom upstate today and with about 7 or 8 minutes left in the 3rd, I said 'Watch Stempniak win the game for them.' Long-time Rangers fans know the rules. We'll concede to an ex-Ranger who is playing against us and any shot we take off the post must always and for eternity result in a goal against on the counterattack.

Quite a sight seeing the game won by a man whom several reporters and AV felt was holding Tanner Glass back from NHL stardom. :nod:

I don't think we played that badly outside of the PP, we fell victim to bad luck. One way of turning around the bad luck is to stop from having passengers on the team. Nash and Kreider, two players who are being expected to inject our offense with purpose, were again ineffective. I went into this season already pissed off with Nash and I am at a point of being completely disgusted with this guy who is just showing up to collect a check.

IMO Nash should get dropped from the lineup and asked if he's going to put out or coast through another 76 games before dropping his usual turd in the playoffs. If not, he can keep sitting out of the team until he asks to loosen his trade clause and go someplace else.

The only skater who's impressed me through 6 games is Lindberg. I would seriously put him on the 1st line and up his ice time while giving those two jerkoffs and their fellow teammates something to think about their application.

Our Dmen were okay today, but this wasn't exactly Montreal or Chicago we were playing. We were playing 50-50 at home against a rebuilding team. It was really a putrid effort. This won't get us a point or a respectable score against San Jose.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Yeah, really! We've seen Hank play flat out insane and they STILL lose.

He was by far our best player in all 6 so far. Star of game for both teams in all losses. He had to make tougher saves than Price, f*** what the media says.

Does it makes sense for goalie with most goal support gets star of game? Doesn't matter I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad