Post-Game Talk: #6 - Devils at Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The defensemen feed the forwards. This team scores on the rush, proper outlet passes are very important.

If this is your attitude, it absolves the forwards of pretty much anything, which isn't right. It's also not right to surmise that this team should only be scoring on the rush.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
At least we have a first this year for the tank!

Not when we trade it along with a top scoring prospect for another "elite" defenseman that will solve our powerplay problems

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The more I think about it, the more I didn't completely hate this game. Nash has zero goals. Kreider has zero goals. We're getting chances. The dominoes will fall.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Today was fine in regards to how the forwards played. Most are snakebitten, but they had awesome possession time...

It's the defense I'm worried about... 4 out of 6 of them look average at best (Boyle), and a complete dumpster fire at worst (Staal, then Girardi)...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The more I think about it, the more I didn't completely hate this game. Nash has zero goals. Kreider has zero goals. We're getting chances. The dominoes will fall.

Kreider stunk, besides for the OT chance. Nash tries but nothing goes in. But I hope your right, I hope tomorrow all the dominoes fall the right way and we have an offensive explosion!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Today was fine in regards to how the forwards played. Most are snakebitten, but they had awesome possession time...

It's the defense I'm worried about... 4 out of 6 of them look average at best (Boyle), and a complete dumpster fire at worst (Staal, then Girardi)...

See I disagree. Yes we had "possession" but we had almost zero good scoring chances. Possession IMO means nothing if you cant generate scoring chances.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I thought Yandle-Girardi and McDonagh-Klein were good.

I really felt the Klein fight f***ed us up. He was gone for over 5 minutes and the pairs that were working got upset. Girardi ended up back with Staal and McDonagh.

I'm not gonna kill Klein, I love that he battles. But this is why in general I don't like D fighting.

I hope AV comes back tomorrow with the pairs we started with today and don't change them again because we lost. We had some nice defensive stretches with our intended pairs in today.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I was at the game today and things that were blatantly obvious..

They played with zero emotion

The team as a whole and in 5 man units are just not in sync

The whole place erupted the loudest when Klein dropped the gloves (For all you fight fans out there)

Girardi is still in a lot of pain. That was evident during every stoppage and worse after he took that hit yet didn't miss a shift

Yandle is the softest wuss who can't finish a check in the NHL and if you catch him behind the net he's sure to turn it over. No where near worth what his price tag is going to be come UFA

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If this is your attitude, it absolves the forwards of pretty much anything, which isn't right. It's also not right to surmise that this team should only be scoring on the rush.
Is it false? A lot of key forwards have been garbage too. And no I don't think this team should only be scoring on the rush. That in itself is a big issue.

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
[NHL]2015020075-203-ingame-h[/NHL]

Staal sucks. Gave up the puck and then gave up on the play.

When are you people gonna wake up and realize the severity of the McD, Staal and Girardi injuries?

They're not able to play at 100% yet...Period.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Yandle was injured last year too but he's the softest wuss ever?

Yandle had an upper body injury, not nearly as series and it didn't effect his skating.

He will avoid contact of any kind and yes.. He's the biggest wuss I've ever seen on skates..

Last edited by a moderator:

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Yandle had an upper body injury, not nearly as series and it didn't effect his skating.

He will avoid contact of any kind and yes.. He's the biggest wuss I've ever seen on skates..

See #5 in this video

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Not worried about it either. I think putting Girardi w/ Yandle solves a lot, but I'm not sure I have faith in AV to keep them together, even next game.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

Well considering moving the puck is his biggest asset and a shoulder injury kind of impacts your ability to do that, I'd say it was pretty serious. Especially when you consider that AV said he probably shouldn't have even been playing.

But Yandle's a wuss, we get it.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Well considering moving the puck is his biggest asset and a shoulder injury kind of impacts your ability to do that, I'd say it was pretty serious. Especially when you consider that AV said he probably shouldn't have even been playing.

But Yandle's a wuss, we get it.

He's fully recovered from his injury and while he has one of the best first passes in the game, that's usually only during a breakout when he doesn't have any pressure on him. He will never take a hit to make the play. If you hit him in the D zone, he's toast.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, maybe it`s the coach - AV had a cup winning team in Vancouver as well, but I don`t think he won it. `sigh.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
From my point of view our problem is this.

We are a hardworking team. When we win, its because we work harder, are more disciplined and focused than the team we play. That does not really apply to the other top teams in this league. Our style takes it toll on us, and naturally we gaze at the teams that that for parts of the regular season can somewhat cruise to a top position in the league and then win the cup when they can combine a dominating style with hard work in the POs (kind of, nobody can really cruise during the reg season anymore, but you get my point). So far this season, we have played some really good hockey for stretches in certain areas. But overall when playing that style we give up chances and we do NOT put games away. The result of course is that it is.

Hence, I think we somewhat are at a crossroads here. From my point of view, we should do anything possible to win a cup. To win that Cup, I think we got to try to evolve our play. Become better with the puck. Take another step and close in on a team like Chicago. To do that we need players like Yandle be put in a role on this team where he can function well and we can use his passing game. We need skilled players learning how to make plays with the puck without exposing us defensively. We need to learn how to put games away. We just need to do all of those things better, or odds seem -- overwhelming -- that we will be a team that comes close year in and year out, but not really close because some team will always "ace it" any given year and we will not have that potential. There is a reason for why we got Yandle, and its not mainly the PP. Its to be a part of a team that plays with much greater confidence with the puck and to a larger extent takes the puck to the other team. I definitely think he has been quite good in that area this year. Not many players in this league process the game as fast as he does and still have that quality in his passing game. Not any PMD really would thrive under AV since he wants his Ds to move the puck as fast as he does. I think many players have been very so-so for this team this year. McDonagh for example has IMO really struggled. I love him, and I am not trashing him, but he has been awful lately. And many many others. Still, Yandle is basically made the primary target and scapegoat for our struggles. I don't like that at all.

At this point, I think its easy to give the grinders a pass and hang the skilled players. Trade Nash for a solid 2nd line player, say a Kyle Palmieri, and Yandle for a Andy Green type. Bench Oscar Lindberg, JT Miller and co in favor of guys like Stoll and Stahlberg and lean back and enjoy a solid October, November and December. From my POV, that approach will however never win us a Cup.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What was wrong with Lindberg-Hayes-Miller last night? Everyone want to break up that unit.

I want Lindberg more on the ice, not less.

On Kreider, he is getting trashed by many. Rightfully so, he has been god-damn awful. I counted 5 straight horrible give-aways on the PP late last night. ECHL caliber plays with the puck. But, we need to decide what type of player we want Chris Kreider to become. He has the worst hockey IQ (probably the worst we have seen since Zherdev was here), but he is somewhat settling in when he have the puck. He is definitely moving in the right direction, while he of course will be streaky until significant improvements are made. Sometimes the intentions are there. He is an animal when he gets the puck with ice in front of him. He is an animal in and shoulder to shoulder situation. He can really rip the puck. Sometimes when watching him play I wanna scream. But, to develop this kid needs to play. Pull him from the PP for good and his development will be hurt for sure.

If I were AV I would rotate guys like Kreider with Hayes, Miller, Lindberg and co on the PP. Give Kreider a bigger role when he is hot, hold him back a bit more when he is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino