GDT: #6 | Buffalo Sabres @ New York Islanders | October 15 | 7PM F/SOL 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
His 1 regulation loss in 5 games, .925 save % and 2.30 GAA says otherwise infront of the worst Defence in hockey

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The point is if we had a Tavares sucks, moulson sucks, bailey sucks etc thread it wouldn't fly.

It's also a ridiculous over reaction. I didn't watch the Nashville game but has nabby even given up more than 3 goals in regulation yet?

The guy is 3rd on the active wins list. He doesn't suck.

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
What happened to Frans on the shootouts???? He was once almost automatic!!! I believe he has missed his last 5, including all 3 thus far this year!!!

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Now they want Marty Biron!! Lolololol

Now Marty Biron is a marked improvement on Nabokov or Poulin?

Based on what? Biron last proved valuable what in 11-12?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
This one is really a tough one to swallow. What we really need is 1-2 veteran players from winning organizations that can shake off the stink of losers from this team. Some will say I am overreacting, am maybe I am, but FFS, how many leads do we have to give up in the 3rd period for someone to step up and say no more? This team ALWAYS turtles up with a 3rd period lead. They really look nervous out there when trying to hold the lead. Our defensemen can make a clearing pass, really? That wasn't the Black Hawks, Bruins or Penguins out there, that was the f'in Sabres. Same thing against Columbus last week. Even the Devils win we lost a lead. Its a team game so no need to point out who failed tonight because I think every one of them has a hand in this. There are so many good things about this team but until they learn to hold leads and put their collective boot on the opponents neck, have we really made a step forward? We really needed to get a Scuderi type this summer who just seems to be on winning teams, maybe he could show these guys how winners act when they have a lead. :shakehead

We have 1 regulation win against fairly easy opponents to start the season, this team needs more or else it is going to be a long season

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
Can we all quit whining they are 2-2-2 with 76 games left and the whole Metro blows outside of the Pens right now. Relaxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!

I agree with this sentiment, but that's besides the point. These are games this team should be winning, and if they just continue to throw points away, once they hit a bad slump (which every mediocre team does), they'll regret not having closed these games off.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
His 1 regulation loss in 5 games, .925 save % and 2.30 GAA says otherwise infront of the worst Defence in hockey
I don't know if I would call it the worst defense in hockey. Have you seen the Rangers GA? And they have one of the best goalies in the game.:sarcasm:

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Can we all quit whining they are 2-2-2 with 76 games left and the whole Metro blows outside of the Pens right now. Relaxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!

the difference is 2-2-2 when we would be 4-1. As I said previously it is these blown lead games that will come back and haunt us in the spring time. Yes the metro blows but I wont sit back and say the NYR and NJD are dead? Teams eventually wake up and these are perfect opportunities to seize the chances we get. Instead they are wasted opportunities and I wont accept mediocrity and neither should the team. We should of won those games!!!!

If it comes down to the wire, Ill pull up these threads and maybe then you can say "well it was only week 2 of the season and they werent so bad."

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Really hard loss to swallow last night. Cappy is really terrible. I was willing to give him a pass after last season's playoff appearance and effort, but he's up to his usual tricks again in this early season.

He was so concerned about the physicality of the Sabres that he has Boulton suit up, but they leave in PMB (who has been absolutely abysmal) over Nelson? Okposo who has never shown any ability to keep up with Tavares continues to stay on the top line? (JT and Grabner together looked great BTW). Horrible line changes, never uses timeouts strategically, consistently has bottom pairing d-men on the ice when holding a 1 goal lead. The guy is figgin clueless. I'm not sure that either Thompson or Weight are the answer for this team, but they can't possibly be worse than New England Jack.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
I don't know if I would call it the worst defense in hockey. Have you seen the Rangers GA? And they have one of the best goalies in the game.:sarcasm:

Apparently not without bigger goalie pads they don't. :laugh:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
we got exposed. defensively. playing a good team defense, but just too weak in front of our own net, and Nabby is not looking sharp enough. and Buf had the worst record, but 5 of their 7 losses were by 1 goal. having Miller makes them dangerous, at anytime.

our forwards are ok, and it is nice to see the defensemen joining the rush.

PP is awful.

i like the new lines. at least Cappy is experimenting, and not afraid to mix it up.

nice to see JT playing with passion.

PMB seems to be improving. best game from him. still not seeing enough though.

if we are going to have a tough guy, better that he is a forward, so his errors are less damaging.

not happy, but not blowing a gasket either. looking for improvement. this is about what i was expecting. can't blame Cappy for easing the young guys into the line-up.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
The biggest Islander surprise of the offseason, was not upgrading the goaltending.

2-3 days after the Pens/Isles series ended ,Snow announced he wanted Nabby back. I do think he was kicking the tires on Bernier and Schneider.

There are several talented goalies , scheduled to hit the ufa market in July: Lundquist , Hiller , Halak , Miller , Elliott , Khudobin. I don't see Snow making any goalie changes until this summer.

half of these expiring contracts will be locked up (either by extension or sign and trade) by the deadline.....you make the deal whenever you think you get a good one

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I am not a big fan of Nabokov, think he is average at best. But last night was the defense. Hamonic did not play well, and Strait's failure to clear was the reason Buffalo got the third goal.

We really don't have a good defense at this point. MacDonald's play has been poor so far, Hamonic inconsistent, Strait poor. Those are supposed to be the team's top defensemen in their own zone.

If this team wants to contend, a serious upgrade on D (and then goal) is necessary.

On top of not being able to clear, he screened Nabby on that last goal. Strait has been pretty brutal ever since I defended him in that thread a week or so ago.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This is the point that savvy posters recognize: it's WAY easier to improve a team in net than it is to acquire a legitimate top-4 Dman (especially with size). It's hard to believe that so many NYI fans miss this point, and think that there's a vendetta against Nabokov. That's not it. It's anger at Snow for failing to improve the team where there were ample opportunities.

I cannot believe, for example, that we couldn't have signed Khudobin at the very least. It's utterly ridiculous that we did not. We've got no plan B, which is really bad because plan A isn't good.

Fair enough. But Nabakov does not "suck."

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Bryz is in talks with a few teams....we are not one of them which I think is a mistake. Before last years meltdown he was above average-good goalie. The year before last he was 33-16 with Phili and had a winning record with PHX 3 or the 4 years he played there. He's obviously has a "different" personality but I think some of his issues in Phili were because of the terrible defense in front (we are no world beaters at the moment) but he can and IMO will produce for us if Snow pulls the trigger. Plus we would higher on his list then the Rags or Wild (who he's talking to) because looking at the situation here he can wrestle the starting job away from Nabby....The Oilers are the other team he's talking where he might be able to start

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Okposo finally showed some fire tonight, after dbag Ott jumped Tavares. Before that, he was awful. He is the worst passer on this team, without a doubt. Multiple times he ruined big chances with passes behind guys or in their skates. Brutal early, but had a strong last 10 mins. Microcosm of the usual Okposo season.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
On top of not being able to clear, he screened Nabby on that last goal. Strait has been pretty brutal ever since I defended him in that thread a week or so ago.
It never should have got to that point. I was a poor clear. I'm a big fan of Strait but I think he needs to sit few games. He's only good when he's hard to play against and he hasn't been that so far this season. He just looks like he's lost all confidence right now. All players go through it. Some can play their way out of it and some just have to sit and refocus.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Kyle Okposo- awful. Made a few good plays driving to the net, but still incapable of maintaining possession. Turnovers continue to plague this team and Kyle Okposo is the main culprit. Last night was worse because it was even happening on odd man rushes.

Matt Carkner- Did he throw one single body check? Did he make any physical contact the entire night? His size is useless b/c he is too slow to engage. Did not intimidate the opposition in the slightest bit.

Andrew MacDonald- Another brutal game. He overuses his stick when he defends and can't follow with the body correctly. When his game is on, he looks like a wizard with his stick, breaking up plays and blocking shots. When he is off (the majority of the time), he is soft and gives up a step almost every single time he gets challenged. Unable to play physical along the boards.

I thought Hickey was great last night. One of our best positional defensemen despite getting beat on a few occasions. The majority of the time, he is effective and surprisingly physical.

Anyone with eyes could see that Nabby was the least of our worries. He bailed us out on multiple occasions and looked sharp. Even made smart plays with the puck.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Kyle Okposo- awful. Made a few good plays driving to the net, but still incapable of maintaining possession. Turnovers continue to plague this team and Kyle Okposo is the main culprit. Last night was worse because it was even happening on odd man rushes.

Matt Carkner- Did he throw one single body check? Did he make any physical contact the entire night? His size is useless b/c he is too slow to engage. Did not intimidate the opposition in the slightest bit.

Andrew MacDonald- Another brutal game. He overuses his stick when he defends and can't follow with the body correctly. When his game is on, he looks like a wizard with his stick, breaking up plays and blocking shots. When he is off (the majority of the time), he is soft and gives up a step almost every single time he gets challenged. Unable to play physical along the boards.

I thought Hickey was great last night. One of our best positional defensemen despite getting beat on a few occasions. The majority of the time, he is effective and surprisingly physical.

Anyone with eyes could see that Nabby was the least of our worries. He bailed us out on multiple occasions and looked sharp. Even made smart plays with the puck.

Not a top pairing defenseman.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Lol at this thread. We are really go to keep this nonsense open?

No we aren't. Some of you are sounding like its the end of the world. Yes, it sucks we lost. Let's hope they can correct it quickly.

13th, I hope you'll continue doing GDT's as your time allows. A majority here appreciate the effort. Don't let the lunacy of a few derail you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad