GDT: 6/22/2018 | NHL Entry Draft | 7:30PM | NBCSN

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
From worst to first. Last year's draft was widely recognized by the majority of hfboard folks and fans as the worst of all 31 teams. The fact that no player outside of Rasmussen really took a step forward confirms that so far.

Fast forward to this year when it is widely considered that Detroit and NYI had the best drafts

Isn't it amazing how things can change when you focus on speed and skill instead of size and character like last year.

Last year's draft: D

This year's draft: A+
It tells you a lot about how much of the draft is actually in Holland's hands. If there are simply no stars available when he drafts, then he gets criticized for whoever he does pick. But if the teams ahead of him let a consensus BPA slide for 3 spots or 10 spots... suddenly he gets an A+ for essentially being forced to take the obvious choice. Weird how that works.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It tells you a lot about how much of the draft is actually in Holland's hands. If there are simply no stars available when he drafts, then he gets criticized for whoever he does pick. But if the teams ahead of him let a consensus BPA slide for 3 spots or 10 spots... suddenly he gets an A+ for essentially being forced to take the obvious choice. Weird how that works.

Gabe Vilardi was right there at 9 last year, and had a fantastic +1 season. There was a lot of reason to be mad with last year’s pick.

Reactions: jkutswings

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Quite the sample size you're using to prove something that props up your agenda.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

No. He got criticized last year for focusing on size and character. No one drafted in 2017 by Detroit outside of Rasmussen had a good year or took a step forward. Even Rasmussen's didn't happen until the playoffs.

What it shows if you focus on size and character you are unlikely to do well. This draft they focused on skill and speed.

Reactions: TheMule93

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Zadina: A, Honestly couldn't pass him up. Wish there was some way to blame Holland, but the guy could be the team's first 40/40 guy since Z and Hossa in the late 00's.

Veleno: B/B+, in a vacuum its a good pick. Unfortunately we don't live in that vacuum. He looks to be a solid Jordan Staal style 2nd/3rd line anchor center. And that would be great if Detroit didn't need defense. At this point the grade drops more because of the opportunity cost of drafting a center instead of maximizing their chances at D more than anything else.

Berggren: B+/A-. Again another player that falls into the category 'good in a vacuum, but not great given Detroit's needs'. Detroit needs more wingers like most people need another hole in their heads. Especially with great to elite wingers in the system like Ras, Zadina, and possibly Mantha. Add to that they also have AA, Bert, and Svech who all could be slotted into the top 6, this feels like a redundant pick.

McIsaac: B+, I am pretty happy with this pick, but it would have been better if this pick were part of a spat of 3 others that were high risk high reward, as McIsaac feels like the safest of the d available. Being Detroit's top D pick in a year that was very deep on defense feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Regula: C, Not high on this pick at all, but whatever, its a crap shoot.

Those are all the players I am at all equipped to even remotely analyze. I'd give Detroit a B+ for the draft. But I think drafting 3 forwards with their top 3 picks was a mistake and could set back the rebuild for years. But, at least they will likely score a ton of goals.

They went with BPA over positional need, which is usually the right way to go. That said I kind of agree on the McIsaac pick, good player but I think Bode Wilde has a little more boom potential and would have been a real “swing for the fences” type of pick in the 2nd round.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
According to HSJ, Wings would have drafted Bouchard had Zadina not been available:

"Had Zadina been gone by No. 6 (along with Rasmus Dahlin, Andrei Svechnikov and Brady Tkachuk), the Wings would have drafted defenseman Evan Bouchard, because of his ability to run a power play."

Why Detroit Red Wings earned 'A' in NHL draft; Zadina on team in fall?

So I guess they weren't picking Hughes regardless. Makes sense given their focus on size recently.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
According to HSJ, Wings would have drafted Bouchard had Zadina not been available:

"Had Zadina been gone by No. 6 (along with Rasmus Dahlin, Andrei Svechnikov and Brady Tkachuk), the Wings would have drafted defenseman Evan Bouchard, because of his ability to run a power play."

Why Detroit Red Wings earned 'A' in NHL draft; Zadina on team in fall?

So I guess they weren't picking Hughes regardless. Makes sense given their focus on size recently.

Imo, size was a minor thing. Or if it was a thing, it was Hughes lacking it. Bigger weakness than guy's upside.

Bouchard was the best PP quarterback, better than Hughes and a right-handness, which would have solved our future handness problems on defence.

Now we are still hunting that 1st pair righty, probably by a trade. I hope they find one, like Faulk. At least now we have pieces to offer in the forward logjam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad