Management 6/14/21 - End of season press conference with Bruce Cassidy

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Bring in a veteran goalie? Isn't Halak still in the organization? I guess one option is to run with Halak/Swayman/Vladar until Rask recovers/retires?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
watch him re-sign Kuraly to 3 year pack with a tidy NMC
This is so irritating. He just goes with the familiar. Just because he graduated from Harvard doesn't mean that he can't learn and explore new things, challenge himself and his staff to scour the Earth for the very best that he can get.

Reactions: BMC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Listening to DS today...

Sounds like Cassidy had little say as to who was penciled in for game 5 and 6

Reactions: Gordoff

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Still a better player than Oleksiak but both aren’t exactly what the Bruins should target

I actually think Oleksiak is better than Martinez but given that he's the best LHD on the UFA market and the better bet to perform going forward, that he's going to get a prohibitively large contract and he's not good enough to justify that.

With Martinez, beware the mid 30's guy who has his best season when they pair him with a possible hall of famer in a shot suppressing system.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

I think it will only get worse.
Years back the D partner would run a little interference and protect the D getting the puck, but now they get called for interference if they try to slow down the forchecker like they used to.
They changed the icing rule to save defenseman from getting run full steam into the glass and they need to consider getting much stricter on the forcheck boarding calls.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Alec Martinez will be 34 yo in July, is not all that great, and being carried by his excellent partner. I would be terrified of giving him a multi-year deal. If they can get him for a 1 year contract, Im ambivalent about it but he's not really a difference maker.

Can't see how anyone who's watched Martinez play can say he's not all that great.

He's a shot blocking machine. He had 168 blocks this season, twice as many as anyone else on the Knights. 9 goals was also the most for defensemen on his team. Would be a perfect partner for McAvoy. And if Vegas wins it will be his 3rd Cup.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think it will only get worse.
Years back the D partner would run a little interference and protect the D getting the puck, but now they get called for interference if they try to slow down the forchecker like they used to.
They changed the icing rule to save defenseman from getting run full steam into the glass and they need to consider getting much stricter on the forcheck boarding calls.
good points

I`m looking at all 4 teams left and one thing everyone of them has is size on the back end. Now, the Habs group is likely the least mobile but they are all big boys who take up alot of ice at a time when the ice shrinks. This teams back end even with Miller is soft as butter

I know it`s easier said than done going out and finding a d-man who can play mean, move the puck a bit and keep up to the play but this can`t continue rolling out the mini pops this team does year in and out

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

DavidK

Jun 10, 2021
I don't see how our top 2 35 year old centers are going to lead us any further to be honest. The problem is there is an absolute black hole behind them both on the team and in the pipeline so you have almost no choice to sign DK. Same top two centers that led us a decade ago being counted on to do it again, in todays frenetic NHL pace where the centers push the play, collapse the defense and create room with their speed....

Mathew Bar-zal sends his regards...

Reactions: LouJersey

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Are you really depending on this?

I think he is a goner tbh

Debrusk, Vaaka, Cehlarik all need a fresh start somewhere else

And Bruins need to find Sam Bennett like change of scenery in return

The dude is only 22 and plays a position of EXTREME need right now, especially if Gryz is picked by the Kraken, as many are predicting. It's a tad early to just give up on him IMO, unless perhaps he's part of a trade that brings back a really good top 4 Dman.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
neither are in the organization at present since both are FA

But my point/question is: bring in a veteran goalie vs re-sign Halak.

(Technically Rask and Halak are in the organization until their contracts expire, which isn't until July, isn't it?)

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Are you really depending on this?

I think he is a goner tbh

Debrusk, Vaaka, Cehlarik all need a fresh start somewhere else

And Bruins need to find Sam Bennett like change of scenery in return

Vaak is 22 years old. Most D-men don't hit there potential until 25-27. Way to early to give up on him.

I bet he's in the mix next year and is a regular the year after.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Bruins management needs to at least get new assistant coaches in the mix or we are going to be running into the same issues of last year. Bruce needs some guys around him that aren’t yes men and can compliment his weaknesses.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Am I alone saying a healthy bruins line up wins the cup ... not Tampa?
Yes. Our 4th line would’ve gotten eaten alive. Maybe a healthy Coyle could’ve been a difference maker against NYI. Miller and Carlo were also huge losses but I don’t see how anybody was going to beat Tampa this year.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Yes. Our 4th line would’ve gotten eaten alive. Maybe a healthy Coyle could’ve been a difference maker against NYI. Miller and Carlo were also huge losses but I don’t see how anybody was going to beat Tampa this year.

A Healthy Carlo, Miller, Rask, Coyle, and Kase. I see it being close. For whatever reason Boston does play well against Tampa.

But yes Tampa was a beast of a team this year.

Reactions: inactive user

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
A Healthy Carlo, Miller, Rask, Coyle, and Kase. I see it being close. For whatever reason Boston does play well against Tampa.

I’m still upset about Kase. If he’s completely healthy he can pot 20 goals. Terrible luck. There were concerns about his health before we traded for him. Big risk that turned out to be a mistake. Not much Sweeney could’ve done since the Backes contract was hard to move.

Reactions: Blowfish

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

Tampa has 6 reliable D men 4 solid lines and the best goalie in the world. They are the best team at hockey. Also Hedman is a playoff monster

Reactions: inactive user

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad