Management 6/14/21 - End of season press conference with Bruce Cassidy

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said Monday he has no regrets about playing goaltender Tuukka Rask late in the series against the Islanders, when the Bruins were on the ropes and the netminder was compromised.

“Obviously Tuukka has acknowledged that he was playing hurt,” said Cassidy, who discussed a number of topics in a 27-minute Zoom call with local reporters. “He met with us every day — medical staff, myself, Goalie Bob (Essensa) — to go through his status, particularly in the playoffs. He played Game 1 with it against Washington right through Game 6 in New York. It was the same injury, sort of the same player dealing with it. We just got different results in the second round. Some of that is team-oriented in both the first and the second round. You don’t put everything on the goalie when you lose, just like you don’t when you win.

“We were never going to run out a player that wasn’t fit to play,” Cassidy said. “He regularly told us he was ready to go.”

Cassidy also touched on the issue of winger Jake DeBrusk, who had a down year and was a healthy scratch for some of the playoffs. Cassidy said he has not conducted his exit meeting with DeBrusk because things are still “too raw.” They’ve had plenty of in-season talks, but getting to the root of issues is difficult when there’s always a next game on the schedule.

This week, Cassidy plans to meet with DeBrusk to “find some common ground on where you see yourself fitting into this lineup, and where I feel you need to be better, and see if we can sort through some of the stuff … it’s up to me to dig a little deeper with him.”

Bruce Cassidy said he has no regrets about sticking with an injured Tuukka Rask - The Boston Globe

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If we went with this answer for the coaches and management, who should know more than everyone else the boards would cease to exist. The coach is not beyond reproach especially when making questionable decisions that may have cost us the series.

No one said the coaches and management always make the right decisions or are beyond reproach.

But the coach certainly knows more about his team than anyone else. Only a fool would argue otherwise.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
In a past era, a journalist might actually ask a coach about his performance with a question something along the lines of "Butch, tough loss versus the Islanders and hindsight is 20/20 but saying that, any in game adjustments you can think of that you should have tried if you could do it again" ?

My only issue with Butch is game management/adjustments, I`m not someone who believes he excels in this area

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but now that we're several days into the off season, I'm becoming more and more convinced that they need to change the front office and coaching staff.

It's just time. I'm not discounting the quality work that Sweeney/Neely have done since they started.

A lot of teams haven't sniffed a cup in decades and they got them to a game 7 on home ice and the Bruins have been a quality team throughout their tenure.

I still think that with the right moves and some new voices/messengers this team has the core to contend within 2-3 years and I think a fresh start at the top would be welcomed.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but now that we're several days into the off season, I'm becoming more and more convinced that they need to change the front office and coaching staff.

It's just time. I'm not discounting the quality work that Sweeney/Neely have done since they started.

A lot of teams haven't sniffed a cup in decades and they got them to a game 7 on home ice and the Bruins have been a quality team throughout their tenure.

I still think that with the right moves and some new voices/messengers this team has the core to contend within 2-3 years and I think a fresh start at the top would be welcomed.

Who are the new voices?

Who's going to pick them, Charlie Jacobs?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
No he did not, that was more of a general comment on the coaches decision making strategies. The rest of the team played so bad in game 6 where it didn’t matter who was in net, we weren’t winning that one.
Just making sure because there are people who will pin this all on Tuukka.

If people are going to point the finger at Bruce you have to point the finger at every single person who was part of the decision making. Bruce likes to get all information available to make a decision. It is clear no one had any questions about Tuukka playing game 6 so Bruce went with it.

If Goalie Bob had reservations, Bruce would have started Swayman.

Poor decisions are made all the time it is all about how you learn from them

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He cost us game 5, but once again I will reiterate, I blame Cassidy much more then Rask. Even a casual fan of hockey could see that Rask was playing injured, every puck that he played was an adventure, he could barely even lift the puck.
We will agree to disagree.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Who are the new voices?

Who's going to pick them, Charlie Jacobs?

Like probably every single thing that I have ever suggested this team do or will suggest they should do in the future, it won't happen, but I'll just focus on what I'd do if I were Charlie Jacobs.

I'd hire three consultants with no previous affiliation to the Bruins to form a search committee for the next President and have that done by July 5.

Part of that deal would be for that committee to work with the new President to come up with a new GM by July 15th.

Yes...only 1 week from the draft, which is one of the main reasons why this will never happen.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree. Wish I could say I felt good about that, but it certainly seems like a complex situation and not an easy one to solve.
not that hard IMO, Jake needs to commit to playing focused hockey, when he does, he has value and helps the team. Issue is, he plays completely lost for long stretches, teases you/me/us with flashes of a solid game for a few games in a row then immediately reverts back to loss of focus

If there is a deal out there for the right player and Jake is asked by opposing GM to be part of that deal, I don`t hesitate to make it but as you alluded to, what`s his value right now?

Reactions: HustleB and Gordoff

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said Monday he has no regrets about playing goaltender Tuukka Rask late in the series against the Islanders, when the Bruins were on the ropes and the netminder was compromised.

“Obviously Tuukka has acknowledged that he was playing hurt,” said Cassidy, who discussed a number of topics in a 27-minute Zoom call with local reporters. “He met with us every day — medical staff, myself, Goalie Bob (Essensa) — to go through his status, particularly in the playoffs. He played Game 1 with it against Washington right through Game 6 in New York. It was the same injury, sort of the same player dealing with it. We just got different results in the second round. Some of that is team-oriented in both the first and the second round. You don’t put everything on the goalie when you lose, just like you don’t when you win.

“We were never going to run out a player that wasn’t fit to play,” Cassidy said. “He regularly told us he was ready to go.”

Cassidy also touched on the issue of winger Jake DeBrusk, who had a down year and was a healthy scratch for some of the playoffs. Cassidy said he has not conducted his exit meeting with DeBrusk because things are still “too raw.” They’ve had plenty of in-season talks, but getting to the root of issues is difficult when there’s always a next game on the schedule.

This week, Cassidy plans to meet with DeBrusk to “find some common ground on where you see yourself fitting into this lineup, and where I feel you need to be better, and see if we can sort through some of the stuff … it’s up to me to dig a little deeper with him.”

Bruce Cassidy said he has no regrets about sticking with an injured Tuukka Rask - The Boston Globe

I wonder if things are still " too raw " between Sweeney/Neely and Cassidy over his asinine decision to start an obviously injured Rask in games 5 & 6, that decision took away any chance that the Bruins had of winning that series. Last time I checked a coaches job was to put his team in the best possible position to win, on this he failed miserably. Do I want Cassidy fired, no for now, but after this epic screwup no tears will be shed if it happens next year.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I agree. Wish I could say I felt good about that, but it certainly seems like a complex situation and not an easy one to solve.
Yeah it’s a tough decision, moving on from him at his lowest value or waiting to see if he improves next year, then if his game stays the same or gets worse you’re kinda screwed.

I personally would move him as our core doesn’t have time for him to figure it out, get what you can for him and make the team better.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins Schedule, Tuesday, June 15
-End of season press conference with Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney, 10:30 am
-End of season press conference with Bruins President Cam Neely, 11:30 am

:popcorn:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Bruins Schedule, Tuesday, June 15
-End of season press conference with Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney, 10:30 am
-End of season press conference with Bruins President Cam Neely, 11:30 am

:popcorn:
Meh. They aren’t going to say anything new. We’re going to look at all avenues. Etc etc

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
not that hard IMO, Jake needs to commit to playing focused hockey, when he does, he has value and helps the team. Issue is, he plays completely lost for long stretches, teases you/me/us with flashes of a solid game for a few games in a row then immediately reverts back to loss of focus

If there is a deal out there for the right player and Jake is asked by opposing GM to be part of that deal, I don`t hesitate to make it but as you alluded to, what`s his value right now?
I agree with you 100% on what needs to be done. Seems like such a simple message and easy to do. But for some reason it's an issue. Odd.

I also agree that if there was a deal that he'd be part of that was remotely attractive I pull the trigger too.

Reactions: bruins19

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yeah it’s a tough decision, moving on from him at his lowest value or waiting to see if he improves next year, then if his game stays the same or gets worse you’re kinda screwed.

I personally would move him as our core doesn’t have time for him to figure it out, get what you can for him and make the team better.
I'm with you. Not at all ideal, but time for change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad