GDT: 6/10/15 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Chicago [SCF GAME 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
We tried to get a little too cute at times too. Even Alex Killorn was guilty of it. And he's the only guy in the top 9 who's pretty much never guilty of it.

Maybe, but he also was the only one cutting to center/net when he had the puck. Was anticipating another crazy goal between two dmen.

Like you said TJ is probably the biggest concern...and the PP. Drouin not playing is a distant but noticeable 3rd. Stammer didn't play great, but he's still generating chances.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not. I'm looking at high% looks from anywhere in the o-zone including deflections/rebounds. I just didn't see very many at all, tonight.

I'll agree that we had opportunities to score, but I don't think we made the right plays to make the opportunities dangerous; something that we usually do.

We missed the net A LOT tonight. Palat, in particular, seemed like he couldn't get a puck near the net. We had a lot of deflections that went wide, or over the net, including the one off Killorn's skate in the dying seconds. The opportunities were there, they all just kind of fizzled.

I think we have to get back to putting pucks on net and looking for garbage in front.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I'm not. I'm looking at high% looks from anywhere in the o-zone including deflections/rebounds. I just didn't see very many at all, tonight.

I'll agree that we had opportunities to score, but I don't think we made the right plays to make the opportunities dangerous; something that we usually do.

EDIT: I see the post above. Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

:laugh: So we agree on the same thing.

This all started when I was contending we weren't playing prevent. Now we agree on something :laugh:

Internet, behold.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Maybe, but he also was the only one cutting to center/net when he had the puck. Was anticipating another crazy goal between two dmen.

Like you said TJ is probably the biggest concern...and the PP. Drouin not playing is a distant but noticeable 3rd. Stammer didn't play great, but he's still generating chances.

I feel like Stamkos's current cold streak is a lot less of a concern than the rest of his year. To me, he looks like he's playing pretty well through this. He had some bad puck luck tonight, including the stick he hit (Seabrook?) with the empty net in front of him. He's not scoring, but he's been consistently one of our better players, which is a lot more than you could say for him before the move to wing.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I feel like Stamkos's current cold streak is a lot less of a concern than the rest of his year. To me, he looks like he's playing pretty well through this. He had some bad puck luck tonight, including the stick he hit (Seabrook?) with the empty net in front of him. He's not scoring, but he's been consistently one of our better players, which is a lot more than you could say for him before the move to wing.

Him not burying the puck on scoring chances has concerned me less than him getting out-muscled on the boards or making ill-advised cross-ice passes. Nothing overly worried me tonight (except maybe the PP & wishing we pushed earlier in the game like we did the last few minutes), but then again nothing really stood out either.

My biggest fear is that Cooper is terrified of opening things up and it'll come back to haunt us.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

I have some concern about him but nothing like during the Detroit series. He's overthinking and a bit snakebitten but he's actually doing things out there unlike how he was in the 1st series. I want more out of him but he could definitely be performing a lot worse

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Kucherov pegged Crawford right in the logo on a breakaway. Absolutely cannot do that.

He didn't have much of an angle, especially considering that he had to pivot in before firing a quick shot.

We just didn't get the bounces tonight. I hope our fortunes are better on Saturday.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

I have to agree with this. My only gripe with Stamkos is he's still shying away from the net. I saw a handful of plays last night where it looked like he had a possible lane to the net (or at least a clear shot), and instead of driving, he circled back and fed the point. He was still getting chances and making plays all night, it's only a matter of time before he breaks through.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

What? He's hitting a lot less than the MTL series, shots are horrid, passes are horrid, decision making is horrid and is for some reason gotten back into thinking he's Datsyuk. His offensive game has gone into a funk, his defensive game hasn't been as bad as it was at times in the regular season but that's probably because he's playing wing now.

Killorn, Palat, Kucherov, Johnson, Callahan, Boyle, Paquette, all having a better SCF than Stamkos right now, heck I'd argue JT Brown is out there wreaking more havoc than Stamkos is atm.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I don't think Stamkos is playing THAT poorly but he needs to put himself in better position to score. Half the time he's hanging out behind the net harmlessly.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I don't think Stamkos is playing THAT poorly but he needs to put himself in better position to score. Half the time he's hanging out behind the net harmlessly.

stamkos missed two golden chances right in front! bottom line if he wants a cup he has to fix that in the next 3 games

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
stamkos missed two golden chances right in front! bottom line if he wants a cup he has to fix that in the next 3 games

Let's not forget about his penalty. Not scoring is not the best but he's playing sorta okay defense and he's hitting but that penalty was awful. Set the tone for the period.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Coop went back to the NY-MTL game plan of limiting chances to shelter Vasi and Coach Q went to the Detroit game plan.

We lose. They win.

Sick of his ****ing prevent.

Same.

We cannot win low scoring games with this defense, and with Chicago's offense they could break the game wide open. Vasy in net doesn't help make me feel better about it either.

Both teams had missed opportunities. Pissed we loss, I wanted to win the Cup at home Saturday.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
This is a game we'd habitually lose by multiple goals because you know "our back wasn't against the wall." I'm actually surprised it was that close. Vasy had a good game overall but dear lord those 2 goals were avoidable. We also missed Bish's puck movement from behind the net, made our dmen skate a lot more.

Best of 3 now.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I dunno guys.
We play like this the next 2 games and we win the cup in 6.
We were much better than them.
With Bish this was a win

JS91

May 14, 2014
I didn't think I'd ever say this, but the bounces just didn't go our way tonight. Puck missing the sticks and weird bounces making our guys either fan on the puck or just miss the net.

Doubt we'll see any more of Nesterov after him fumbling the puck at the blue line towards the end of the game and turning it over pretty badly.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The PP has to come through for us. 0/4 - not good enough.
It would be cool to win some more faceoffs too (38-20 Chicago).
I was not too impressed with Vasya TBH.
Notes on our D: Sustr only played 7 minutes, Nesty 9, Carle 11. Hedman 27.

Over all I thought we played a good game. Got lucky with Chicago hitting the post three times though. But we did outshoot and outchance them IMO. Close games sometimes go the other way...

Put Drouin in next game. Preventing goals wasn't the problem, scoring goals is.

Last edited:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Continue to play like that.

Fix faceoffs. That's it. The Hawks looked tired and slow during the regular course of even strength play. They managed a win tonight by being cagey and accentuating their few strengths. There PP was dangerous even though our PK did a fantastic job keeping them off the board. Saad's goal was off a faceoff play and was a lucky bounce to him after Vasy's poke check. Even then, Vasy recovered and was in position because he saw Saad was attempting to elevate the puck. Saad fanned on it and it went 5 hole instead. Saad himself said it was a pretty lucky goal.

We brought that gwg on ourselves with 3 consecutive icings. Sure, the puck went out of play after the 3rd one and there was a tv timeout, but the f/o was still in our end. Win a friggin faceoff and it's still a tied game.

Bolts gave the Hawks life. Next goal in the series will be enormous. If the Hawks get it, be ready to go back to Chicago looking to stave off elimination.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Palat taking face offs has to stop cooper needs to do something to adjust on that!

Put TJ on the wing with Flip and Killorn, let Stamkos center the Triplets? Because that's pretty much the only thing you could do to "adjust" to the fact that TJ can't take f/o right now due to injury.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
That last 2 minutes was ....something else. Hawks have to put the body on Kucherov (if they can catch him) because he is a menace.

BrianBolt

Jun 6, 2015
Tampa, FL
Didn't get to post during the game because I was at Glory Days, but my thoughts were:
FRUSTRATION!!!! We were the better team last night and did everything you need to do on the road to win except put the puck in the net. The watch party was constantly oohing and aahing over our scoring chances and moments later I'd see a stat where no shots were on goal. Missed passes, missed shots, and the shots that did get on goal were just poor shot selection. No traffic in front most of the night.
We have to view this in context:
1) Must win or the season is over for Chicago
2) Game is in Chicago
3) Inexperienced 20-year old in net
4) Injured Tyler Johnson
5) Ice-cold Stamkos
6) Suddenly cold Kucherov
7) Rare bad game from Palat
In the end, Chicago gave us everything they have and I wasn't impressed. Despite all of the above, they beat us 2-1 with us controlling most of the play. Was anyone else on pins and needles during extended Chicago scoring chances? No, because it never seemed like there were many. They had bursts but I can't say they pushed us around and had puck control for long stretches like the previous game. No excuses this time of year, but we were trying to beat Chicago with our 3rd line only and that's pretty hard to do. The worst thing about it is that we could now lose this series to a team that looks like they're not as good as New York or Detroit. Desperation from the Rangers looked a lot scarier to me than that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Didn't get to post during the game because I was at Glory Days, but my thoughts were:
FRUSTRATION!!!! We were the better team last night and did everything you need to do on the road to win except put the puck in the net. The watch party was constantly oohing and aahing over our scoring chances and moments later I'd see a stat where no shots were on goal. Missed passes, missed shots, and the shots that did get on goal were just poor shot selection. No traffic in front most of the night.
We have to view this in context:
1) Must win or the season is over for Chicago
2) Game is in Chicago
3) Inexperienced 20-year old in net
4) Injured Tyler Johnson
5) Ice-cold Stamkos
6) Suddenly cold Kucherov
7) Rare bad game from Palat
In the end, Chicago gave us everything they have and I wasn't impressed. Despite all of the above, they beat us 2-1 with us controlling most of the play. Was anyone else on pins and needles during extended Chicago scoring chances? No, because it never seemed like there were many. They had bursts but I can't say they pushed us around and had puck control for long stretches like the previous game. No excuses this time of year, but we were trying to beat Chicago with our 3rd line only and that's pretty hard to do. The worst thing about it is that we could now lose this series to a team that looks like they're not as good as New York or Detroit. Desperation from the Rangers looked a lot scarier to me than that.
Crawford played his best game vs us so far if Crawford can keep this up then Hawks win the cup! If Crawford comes back to being Crawford then we win the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad