GDT: 6/1 ECF Game 1: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Penguins defenseman SLOWED up well before the boards Campbell caught up, they engaged, Campbell wrapped up, and they went into the boards together. This play literally happens all the time in hockey. On the McQuaid hit he seems to be confused as to where Cooke is, he comes to a near halt, almost seems to lose his balance, sticks his ass out which in turn lowers his head towards the boards, Cooke who seemed to be committed to the hit at that point and had little time to react to McQuiad’s actions contacts him in the numbers (which is a clear penalty), and McQuaid goes face first into the boards. These things happen in a split second and it's a tough play but I would be willing to bet a lot of money that McQuid would even admit himself that he played it all wrong. The reality is it’s OK to say the Cooke hit is a penalty and that McQuaid putting himself in a vulnerable position made the play more dangerous than it had to be.

I'll ask this for the 8th(?) time.

What should McQuaid have done? Because what he did "happens all the time in hockey." What doesn't happen "all the time" is the guy deciding to run him from behind.

Something you keep ignoring.

In an attempt to be "objective."

You can respond, and I promise to read it, but I've had enough of this. I am confident the overwhelming amount of people reading this don't agree with you.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
You don't think about negative impact of Jagr on the third for Peverley and Kelly?

Why break something that works btw:huh:

Seguin needs to get more physical and is too light to be combined with Marchand
and Bergy in heavy traffic, they should ask him to look at Krejci highlights bcoz he
is not in Switzerland anymore ;)

I would rather have the Krejci and Bergeron lines firing away and being two very good and productive lines rather than having Jagr slowing down the Bergeron line.

You ask why to break what's working? What exactly is Jagr doing that is any better what Seguin has done in the playoffs? Seguin at least set Bergeron up for that rebound in game 7 against the Leafs? It honestly can't hurt just to switch those two around again. Seguin is fine with his physicality, not everyone on the Bruins needs to be a grinder...

Jagr is playing too much and that could be hurting that Bergeron line as they haven't looked great at all since the time they have been paired together. He should be kept on all the PP's though.

Last edited:

du5566*

What should McQuaid have done? Because what he did "happens all the time in hockey." What doesn't happen "all the time" is the guy deciding to run him from behind.

You can respond, and I promise to read it, but I've had enough of this. I am confident the overwhelming amount of people reading this don't agree with you.

Bruins head coach Claude Julien also was asked if players should have more of a responsibility to not put themselves in a vulnerable position.

"I've said it before, and I'm certainly not going to change my mind because it happened to one of our players, but I've always said that we have to educate our players to not put themselves in vulnerable positions," Julien said.

"I'm not talking necessarily about last night, I'm talking about those kind of things that are happening because the rule says you can't hit somebody from behind. Sometimes we take advantage of that rule, and it's dangerous.

"As far as the Cooke situation, I think the referees had to call that. You see his head going into the boards and numbers on numbers. Had to be called. Whether it's a 2, whether it's a 5, I'm not going to dispute that. But more than that I think they had to make the call."

Alright Mike, moving on......

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins have the refs and league in their pockets according to Pens fans. LMAO

My FB wall has been lit up by hockey fans(of teams no longer playing BTW) with this same crap, like the Bruins had no business winning that game last night.

The officiating was bad last night and can be debated all day, guess most people watching missed the 6'3 215 lb Malkin hitting the ice like his legs got cut off on the Bergy trip in the 1st, or the lame slashing call and sell by Malkin on the Horton call.

Unfortunately when people look at this series and see the name value on the Pens, they don't understand how a team with such star power can lose a game, let alone to a team like the Bruins without any of the "household names"(like Ovechkin, Stamkos, Crosby, etc.), so they start coming up with reasons why an all-star team loses such as crooked refs. The good news is people with this type of opinion don't know jack $#!& about the sport of hockey.

bluetib

Feb 17, 2009
Montreal
bruins.nhl.com
I would rather have the Krejci and Bergeron lines firing away and being two very good and productive lines rather than having Jagr slowing down the Bergeron line.

You ask why to break what's working? What exactly is Jagr doing that is any better what Seguin has done in the playoffs? Seguin at least set Bergeron up for that rebound in game 7 against the Leafs? It honestly can't hurt just to switch those two around again. Seguin is fine with his physicality, not everyone on the Bruins needs to be a grinder...

Jagr is playing too much and that could be hurting that Bergeron line as they haven't looked great at all since the time they have been paired together. He should be kept on all the PP's though.

I rather wait for Seguin to get a great game or maybe a bad game from Jagr
as a minimum before any switch.

There is a reason why Claude switched them you know.

And like you i dream of Seguin from last year on that second line but he is still
not playing to the level we are used to, only god knows why?

Btw Jagr protects the puck better and is a big body to move around.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Bruins head coach Claude Julien also was asked if players should have more of a responsibility to not put themselves in a vulnerable position.

"I've said it before, and I'm certainly not going to change my mind because it happened to one of our players, but I've always said that we have to educate our players to not put themselves in vulnerable positions," Julien said.

"I'm not talking necessarily about last night, I'm talking about those kind of things that are happening because the rule says you can't hit somebody from behind. Sometimes we take advantage of that rule, and it's dangerous.

"As far as the Cooke situation, I think the referees had to call that. You see his head going into the boards and numbers on numbers. Had to be called. Whether it's a 2, whether it's a 5, I'm not going to dispute that. But more than that I think they had to make the call."

Alright Mike, moving on......

I don't know if you ever played hockey, but it is a very fast paced game (especially NHL level) and there are going to be numerous times when a player is vulnerable to cheap shots and dirty hits.

Instead of blaming players for unintentionally putting themselves in vulnerable situations, I would prefer the league clamping down on dirty players who try to intentionally hurt other players in these situations.....and by clamping down, I mean much bigger fines and longer suspensions until all the Matt Cookes of the world either stop the dirty, dangerous hits, or they are ousted from the NHL for good.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

It amounts to:

McQuaid should have known that it was Matt Cooke on the ice and that he likes to run and injure people. If he didn't want to get hit dirty and mean, he shouldn't have put himself in the position to take a mean, dirty hit with such bad potential outcome.

I kinda get what he's getting at. But this is blaming the victim of the hit, rather than the guy known for his frequent attempts to injure others. Or, sorry... To be fair, it appears as though he's placing EQUAL blame. Which doesn't sit right with me and seems part of an agenda to prove what lousy hockey fans we all are.

I DO think, however... That as soon as you make something completely off-limits, that players will attempt to make the play that the rules render them "untouchable." And that's dangerous too.

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006
It amounts to:

McQuaid should have known that it was Matt Cooke on the ice and that he likes to run and injure people. If he didn't want to get hit dirty and mean, he shouldn't have put himself in the position to take a mean, dirty hit with such bad potential outcome.

I kinda get what he's getting at. But this is blaming the victim of the hit, rather than the guy known for his frequent attempts to injure others. Or, sorry... To be fair, it appears as though he's placing EQUAL blame. Which doesn't sit right with me and seems part of an agenda to prove what lousy hockey fans we all are.

I DO think, however... That as soon as you make something completely off-limits, that players will attempt to make the play that the rules render them "untouchable." And that's dangerous too.

Pretty much. The only issue I have with the whole thing is the penalty they gave Kelly. I get that they don't want the game to get out of control but sometimes you have to let the guys on the ice police this stuff. Same issue with the instigator rule.

du5566*

It amounts to:

The bolded is the main focus of my point. I don't put equal blame on McQuaid for the hit or the original boarding call as Cooke, and Marchand for that matter, should know better than hitting a player from behind near the boards. All I ever said was McQuaid needs to be more careful on that play and that his actions made the boarding a more dangerous play than it had to be, which along with Cooke's history more than likely lead to the game misconduct. If I am wrong then so be it but that’s the way I see it and I promise I am not just arguing for the sake of argument.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I still can't figure out what the bruins did to "get under the skin of Malkin and Crosby."

Seriously, can anyone think of a single thing the bruins did? Almost no after whistles scrums, no cheapshots. Was it as simple as "they expected to roll over us but the bruins are a good team too?"

The false narrative has already taken over. The Bruins were really outhit for the first 40 minutes. And it was Crosby that started **** at the end of the second, and Malkin that threw a punch to escalate a scum.

Just bizarre.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I still can't figure out what the bruins did to "get under the skin of Malkin and Crosby."

Seriously, can anyone think of a single thing the bruins did? Almost no after whistles scrums, no cheapshots. Was it as simple as "they expected to roll over us but the bruins are a good team too?"

The false narrative has already taken over. The Bruins were really outhit for the first 40 minutes. And it was Crosby that started **** at the end of the second, and Malkin that threw a punch to escalate a scum.

Just bizarre.

Holy ****!

One minute after I typed this Keith Jones just said, "Did the Bruins do anything to get them off their game?" Him and Milbury said that it was just the Bruins playing tight defensively.

YES! Don't let this crap happen. Don't let this false narrative become reality.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Just bizarre.

I was talking about this same thing with my father this afternoon. He seems to think it was just cuz the Penguins weren't allowed speed through the neutral zone (they were in the first period or so, but it ended out of nowhere). Combine that with being down 1-0 after almost two periods, and realizing that the Bruins aren't just gonna roll over and take a beating, and you have some serious frustration setting in.

I just think that Pittsburgh expected to generate more offense and easier neutral zone play, because they have so much more speed than Boston. Full credit to the Bruins for making adjustments and shutting them out.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Holy ****!

One minute after I typed this Keith Jones just said, "Did the Bruins do anything to get them off their game?" Him and Milbury said that it was just the Bruins playing tight defensively.

Mike,

GOT is on at 9 pm ;)

du5566*

Just bizarre.

I am going to guess that their frustration was largely due to Tuukka Rask standing on his head for two periods. I do however think there was plenty of post whistle rough stuff leading up to the end of the 2nd by both teams which the refs let go; which is great IMO, and we have no idea what the on ice conversation was like. Either way what the Penguins did at the end of the second period played right into the Bruins strengths and completely took them off their game. At that point the Penguins were outplaying the Bruins despite the Bruins 1-0 lead and the Bruins went on to dominate the 3rd. I mean after Krejci's early goal they almost seemed to turtle.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
I just think that Pittsburgh expected to generate more offense and easier neutral zone play, because they have so much more speed than Boston. Full credit to the Bruins for making adjustments and shutting them out.

I always read this and I don't understand it. Lindy Ruff said earlier in the season that Boston "might be the fastest team in the league". Yet when the Bruins go up against a skill team, folks make it sound like it's 18 Jaromir Jagrs out there.

Pittsburgh has more skill than Boston. Obvious. But having "so much more" speed? I disagree. On defense, yes Pittsburgh has more speed, but it's close. Especially with the return of Ference. Up front, though, Boston has a ton of speed. Seguin, Paille and Peverley have phenomenal speed and can beat almost anyone. Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Horton and Lucic are all a step behind those three, but all are capable of hustling to make plays when they need to.

Pittsburgh has more speed in terms of passing and making plays in the offensive zone, but that goes back to sheer talent more so than skating. But I believe Boston has more team speed, which leads to more aggressive backchecking and penalty killing. The likes of which Pittsburgh has not seen before, and then weren't even close to prepared for.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Holy ****!

Glad to hear it. So many members of the media seem to have bought into their own narrative about how great Pittsburgh is that they think the only way to beat them is to assault them or some such nonsense.

Krejci had it right, if only they were listening: play as a team.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I always read this and I don't understand it. Lindy Ruff said earlier in the season that Boston "might be the fastest team in the league". Yet when the Bruins go up against a skill team, folks make it sound like it's 18 Jaromir Jagrs out there.

Pittsburgh has more skill than Boston. Obvious. But having "so much more" speed? I disagree. On defense, yes Pittsburgh has more speed, but it's close. Especially with the return of Ference. Up front, though, Boston has a ton of speed. Seguin, Paille and Peverley have phenomenal speed and can beat almost anyone. Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Horton and Lucic are all a step behind those three, but all are capable of hustling to make plays when they need to.

Pittsburgh has more speed in terms of passing and making plays in the offensive zone, but that goes back to sheer talent more so than skating. But I believe Boston has more team speed, which leads to more aggressive backchecking and penalty killing. The likes of which Pittsburgh has not seen before, and then weren't even close to prepared for.

Let me rephrase then. Pittsburgh has more speed where it counts.

Paille and Peverley being fast does almost nothing to get me hot. Like you said the passing of Pittsburgh is also much better, which I equate to speed. Not only are their passes much quicker, but they stretch the ice something fierce. Boston did a great job of limiting that, and I think it's what pissed off Pittsburgh

du5566*

Glad to hear it. So many members of the media seem to have bought into their own narrative about how great Pittsburgh is that they think the only way to beat them is to assault them or some such nonsense.

Krejci had it right, if only they were listening: play as a team.

The narrative should be that despite all of their talents the Pittsburgh Penguins tend to get frustrated if things don’t go their way and that frustration can knock them off their game. And we all knew this because we have seen it play out before. But it's still very early so despite the huge win in game 1 I remain cautiously optimistic.

There is so much more to playoff hockey than just skill.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The narrative should be that despite all of their talents the Pittsburgh Penguins tend to get frustrated if things don’t go their way and that frustration can knock them off their game. And we all knew this because we have seen it play out before. But it's still very early so despite the huge win in game 1 I remain cautiously optimistic.

There is so much more to playoff hockey than just skill.

So true.

I wanted the B's to take one of the first two...Now I want them to take game 2 also.

I believe the B's are still the underdogs and that the Pens will adjust.

GO B'S

du5566*

So true.

I wanted the B's to take one of the first two...Now I want them to take game 2 also.

I believe the B's are still the underdogs and that the Pens will adjust.

GO B'S

I think most assumed this was the best case scenario. I think the Penguins will take game 2 but if the Bruins win??? I just don't know if the Penguins have it in them to go down 2 and come back against the Bruins.

member 96824

That is how you get under their skin...they throw hissy fits when things dont go their way. Thats why they were trying to run Couturier last year.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
To characterize what McQuaid did as "stopping short, sticking his ass out and putting his head down" is simply not supported by the video, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFbx9PhD-E

The puck is coming around the boards, McQuaid skates to the boards to retrieve the puck, turns his skates to the left and bends his knees to stop as he intends to shoot the puck back up the boards, looks down briefly, keeping his head pretty much up, and is hit by Cooke while his head is up.

He certainly did not stick his ass out and put his head down for the hit. Just watch the video. Except for a brief look down, he keeps his head UP, and physically, there's nothing else his body could do to play the puck in that situation. In order to stop from going through the boards, he has to stop. He doesn't "stop short" - he stops where he has to to play the puck, his knees bend as they need to, and his ass follows suit naturally - i.e., is not inordinately stuck out.

I don't see how this is even a "vulnerable position" more than any other position a player is in while legitimately trying to play the puck.

McQuaid is allowed to make that play. Cooke is not allowed to drill him from behind after seeing his numbers throughout the entire sequence. Might be different if McQuaid had turned to face the boards at the last second, but he didn't.

According to the rules and common sense, McQuaid did nothing wrong. Cooke did.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I think most assumed this was the best case scenario. I think the Penguins will take game 2 but if the Bruins win??? I just don't know if the Penguins have it in them to go down 2 and come back against the Bruins.

The Pens are good.... real good.

Tuukka may just be the better net minder.

I hope the B's can get past them but I am not confident. I did feel the same when the B's played the Nucks in 2011 though. You just never know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad