GDT: 6/1 ECF Game 1: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I challenge anyone to explain how Gregory Campbell managed not to board a guy in the exact same spot while also arguing that somehow McQuaid is to blame in anyway.

D-men do that all the time. Some guys just decide to take advantage and run a guy from behind, most don't.

And just because McQuaid looked back (wisely) to see what was behind him, it doesn't mean he should just stop and not play the puck.

He wasn't on the verge of being hit, he didn't spin away from the hit Cooke was throwing, he didn't avoid a shoulder check by turning his back. It is not the same. He was skating straight to the boards for a lot of strides. Looking back doesn't change that Cooke ran him after staring at the numbers for 8 strides.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
"who is unable to protect or defend himself"

McQuaid stopped short of the boards and put his head down with Cooke right behind him putting himself in a position to be hurt. The hit was stupid and deserved a penalty but McQuaid put himself in a vulnerable position.

It is what it is the play happened and Cooke got the boot, moving on………

I actually agree with a lot of your comments in some other threads today, but I think you're flat out wrong here.

When I first saw the hit, I did think McQuaid turned into it a little. However, after seeing the play many times, his back was to Cooke the ENTIRE time. Did McQuaid turn slightly at the end? Yes, he did, but even before he turned a little, his back was still facing Cooke.

I'm not sure what you wanted McQuaid to do there. He was playing the puck like most defensemen would do in that situation.

I think five and a game was the correct call, with no suspension needed.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Seguin with another strong game last night, he was flying all over the ice. Kelly and Peverley finally looked like they weren't stuck in cement which was nice to see.

I still want Seguin back with Bergeron though, Jagr is too slow for Bergeron and Marchand. That line looks/looked a lot better and generated more offense when Seguin is on that line. It's not that Jagr looks bad or anything, but Seguin's game isn't suited for playing with grinders like Kelly and Peverley.

Bergeron Knows Best

Nov 11, 2010
Louisville, KY
I challenge anyone to explain how Gregory Campbell managed not to board a guy in the exact same spot while also arguing that somehow McQuaid is to blame in anyway.

D-men do that all the time. Some guys just decide to take advantage and run a guy from behind, most don't.

And just because McQuaid looked back (wisely) to see what was behind him, it doesn't mean he should just stop and not play the puck.

He wasn't on the verge of being hit, he didn't spin away from the hit Cooke was throwing, he didn't avoid a shoulder check by turning his back. It is not the same. He was skating straight to the boards for a lot of strides. Looking back doesn't change that Cooke ran him after staring at the numbers for 8 strides.
exactly how I saw it; but I'm just a biased fan...my black and gold glasses block out all the frames where Quaiders numbers weren't facing Cooke...:sarcasm:

du5566*

I actually agree with a lot of your comments in some other threads today, but I think you're flat out wrong here.

When I first saw the hit, I did think McQuaid turned into it a little. However, after seeing the play many times, his back was to Cooke the ENTIRE time. Did McQuaid turn slightly at the end? Yes, he did, but even before he turned a little, his back was still facing Cooke.

I'm not sure what you wanted McQuaid to do there. He was playing the puck like most defensemen would do in that situation.

I think five and a game was the correct call, with no suspension needed.

That's fine, I just think some are misunderstanding my point.

Mike in his above post pointed out the Campbell hit which I clearly remember and on that hit the Penguins defensemen didn't stop short Campbell wrapped up and both players went into the boards together. On the McQuaid hit he looks back, stops short, puts his ass out, his head down, and Cooke hits him in the numbers. I am fine with the penalty and the game misconduct, even though my first reaction was it was too severe, but at the same time it's my opinion that McQuaid's decision to stop short and put his head down contributed to the severity of the hit and its potential dangers.

I am not trying to just be difficult here nor am I the only one saying McQuaid put himself in a vulnerable position; Clode said it himself.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Mike in his above post pointed out the Campbell hit which I clearly remember and on that hit the Penguins defensemen didn't stop short Campbell wrapped up and both players went into the boards together. On the McQuaid hit he looks back, stops short, puts his ass out, his head down, and Cooke hits him in the numbers. I am fine with the penalty and the game misconduct, even though my first reaction was it was too severe, but at the same time it's my opinion that McQuaid's decision to stop short and put his head contributed to the severity of the hit and its potential dangers.

I am not trying to just be difficult here nor am I the only one saying McQuaid put himself in a vulnerable position; Clode said it himself.

The Pens defenseman did what? Skate through the boards?

What you are saying makes no sense. What did you want McQuaid to do? Seriously, not play the puck? You aren't making sense.

In the exact same spot, McQuaid and the Pens d-man did the exact same thing. They both pulled up to play/protect the puck. In one, the opposition ran him between the numbers, in the other the opposition didn't.

Notice the difference is purely related to what the pursuer decides to do. Defenseman (and sometimes forwards) know they are vulnerable, but playing the puck correctly trumps their own personal concern for safety.

This is getting ridiculous.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
There is also a difference between trying to be objective, and flat out being a contrarian on every single issue for the sake of appearing objective.

Not everything a group of fans sees is wrong.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

You got it wrong Mike he is keeping us "Sheep in check"

du5566*

The Pens defenseman did what? Skate through the boards?

What you are saying makes no sense. What did you want McQuaid to do? Seriously, not play the puck? You aren't making sense.

In the exact same spot, McQuaid and the Pens d-man did the exact same thing. They both pulled up to play/protect the puck. In one, the opposition ran him between the numbers, in the other the opposition didn't.

Notice the difference is purely related to what the pursuer decides to do. Defenseman (and sometimes forwards) know they are vulnerable, but playing the puck correctly trumps their own personal concern for safety.

This is getting ridiculous.

Agree to disagree...... If you can find a video of the Campbell hit I can point out the fact that the Penguins defenseman did not stop short and put his head down. And if I am clearly wrong why did Clode say McQuaid put himself in a vulnerable position? I do respect your opinion Mike and I get what you are saying I am just not sure the two hits are as similar as you think. But I am far from perfect and have been wrong plenty of times so I this could be yet another example of that.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Especially when Its Lady Byng candidate Matt ******* Cooke doing the boarding.

In one situation apparently Adam McQuaid skates into the boards full speed, with his "head down and his ass out."

In the other, the Pittsburgh defenseman stops 5 feet from the boards and, I don't know, turns into the little spoon for Gregory Campbell.

:shrug:

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Agree to disagree...... If you can find a video of the Campbell hit I can point out the fact that the Penguins defenseman did not stop short and put his head down. And if I am clearly wrong why did Clode say McQuaid put himself in a vulnerable position?

What do you mean stop short? You keep saying it, but what do you mean?

Did McQuaid not stop? What do you think he did exactly? In one breath you say mcQuaid stopped short, but that the Pens defenseman stopped so he could let Campbell go into the boards with him.

That. Doesn't. Make. Sense.

Campbell rode him into the boards gently. The difference is not what the defensemen did, but what the forecheckers did.

And also, Claude said "Adam may have put himself in a vulnerable position, I'll have to watch it."

And no one denies this anyway! You keep saying it as part of your "blame the victim" defense.

"Your honor, the guy walked down a dark alley at night, he was asking me to stab him and steal his wallet."

Except in this case, McQuaid doesn't know it is a dark alley because he doesn't stop to think "Is Matt Cooke or Patrick Kaleta chasing me?"

du5566*

What do you mean stop short? You keep saying it, but what do you mean?

Did McQuaid not stop? What do you think he did exactly? In one breath you say mcQuaid stopped short, but that the Pens defenseman stopped so he could let Campbell go into the boards with him.

That. Doesn't. Make. Sense.

I don't know how better to explain it, I believe that I am being very clear. In the slow motion McQuiad clearly stops short, I mean the snow shower he throws into the boards proves it, and puts his ass out/head down in what I believe was an attempt to brace for the hit. It was awkward at best and in my opinion it made the play more dangerous than it had to be.

Campbell rode him into the boards gently. The difference is not what the defensemen did, but what the forecheckers did..

I disagree and if you can find a clip of the Campbell hit I believe you can see the differences.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
It's amazing how much Penguins fans are hung up on reffing in a 3-0 game. Some actually believe Marchand deserved a major. That hit wasn't worthy of a major and they would have had a better chance getting a interference penalty on Marchand if Letang didn't feel the need to sell it so bad.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I don't know how better to explain it, I believe that I am being very clear.

I disagree and if you can find a clip of the Campbell hit I believe you can see the differences.

Can anyone else explain what he means then?

Am I the only one that sees the inherent flaw in here?

McQuaid "stopped short" but the Pend d-man "stopped."

The difference to me is a faulty adverb used to try and bolster a nonsensical argument, but if anyone else can point out to me how this makes sense I'd appreciate it.

du5566*

Can anyone else explain what he means then?

Am I the only one that sees the inherent flaw in here?

McQuaid "stopped short" but the Pend d-man "stopped."

The difference to me is a faulty adverb used to try and bolster a nonsensical argument, but if anyone else can point out to me how this makes sense I'd appreciate it.

Can you show me where I said the Pens d-man "stopped"?

Here is my post again:

"Mike in his above post pointed out the Campbell hit which I clearly remember and on that hit the Penguins defensemen didn't stop short Campbell wrapped up and both players went into the boards together. On the McQuaid hit he looks back, stops short, puts his ass out, his head down, and Cooke hits him in the numbers. I am fine with the penalty and the game misconduct, even though my first reaction was it was too severe, but at the same time it's my opinion that McQuaid's decision to stop short and put his head down contributed to the severity of the hit and its potential dangers."

I keep reading this trying to figure out where the confusion is because I know you know your **** (being serious) but I am just not seeing it.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Can you show me where I said the Pens d-man "stopped"?

Here is my post again:

"Mike in his above post pointed out the Campbell hit which I clearly remember and on that hit the Penguins defensemen didn't stop short Campbell wrapped up and both players went into the boards together. On the McQuaid hit he looks back, stops short, puts his ass out, his head down, and Cooke hits him in the numbers. I am fine with the penalty and the game misconduct, even though my first reaction was it was too severe, but at the same time it's my opinion that McQuaid's decision to stop short and put his head down contributed to the severity of the hit and its potential dangers."

I keep reading this trying to figure out where the confusion is because I know you know your **** (being serious) but I am just not seeing it.

What did the Pens d-man do then?

What did he do if somehow Campbell was able to warp him up? Not stop? Keep skating?

What did you want McQuaid to do? Not stop? Skate through the boards? Peel away in front of the crease, or away from the puck behind the net?

You aren't making sense.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
One of the most satisfying win I can remember. Beating the unbeatable superstars of whining and the most feared offense in hockey was nullified by a very almost to a perfect played games under Julien system. Everybody was fantastic. Tuukka was perfect and Krejci Horton and Lucic once again was hitting checking and scoring. The experts in my opinion has not done their lesson. The Bruins are the toughest team to beat. I know it's only one game but the Bruins put a big scare in the Penguins. I really hate Crosby and his whining in every damn situation. When he confrontated Tuukka was hoping someone would have grabbed him by the neck and shook him good. "This is our goalie don't you dare even talk to him". I have no respect for him and he certainly failed to prove me something to change my mind. I love this Bruins team. Was very impressed even after the game how calm and concentrated they all were. Go Bruins

bluetib

Feb 17, 2009
Montreal
bruins.nhl.com
Seguin with another strong game last night, he was flying all over the ice. Kelly and Peverley finally looked like they weren't stuck in cement which was nice to see.

I still want Seguin back with Bergeron though, Jagr is too slow for Bergeron and Marchand. That line looks/looked a lot better and generated more offense when Seguin is on that line. It's not that Jagr looks bad or anything, but Seguin's game isn't suited for playing with grinders like Kelly and Peverley.

You don't think about negative impact of Jagr on the third for Peverley and Kelly?

Why break something that works btw:huh:

Seguin needs to get more physical and is too light to be combined with Marchand
and Bergy in heavy traffic, they should ask him to look at Krejci highlights bcoz he
is not in Switzerland anymore ;)

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004

Mike in his above post pointed out the Campbell hit which I clearly remember and on that hit the Penguins defensemen didn't stop short Campbell wrapped up and both players went into the boards together. On the McQuaid hit he looks back, stops short, puts his ass out, his head down.

I don't know how better to explain it, I believe that I am being very clear. In the slow motion McQuiad clearly stops short, I mean the snow shower he throws into the boards proves it, and puts his ass out/head down in what I believe was an attempt to brace for the hit. It was awkward at best and in my opinion it made the play more dangerous than it had to be.

He did do those things, but because he was going to play the puck. Every time a defenseman retrieves a puck in that area they do the same exact thing. He stops short (generally a good idea when there's a wall in front of you), and yes, puts his ass out/head down to play the puck, which he in facts does on the backhand.

Not trying to pile on here, but you're missing the mark on this one. Your quest to be the ultimate objective fan is actually making you anything but.

Was it the worst hit ever? No. Should he be suspended? Arguable, but now that I've calmed down a bit (from last night) I'm ok with the no-suspension decision. But it was also a moronic play from a ****** of a player who has just a tiny bit of history of making moronic plays against this franchise. Not sure why you're tying yourself in knots trying to defend the ****** and place partial blame on McQuaid.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
2) Trolling: Do not make posts or threads with the sole purpose of starting a dispute. Note that a person disagreeing with your opinion is NOT trolling; please keep it civil, even if you're sure the other person is wrong. When visiting the team forums, please note that they are fan forums for that team and are here mainly for the enjoyment of that team's fans. Do not visit team forums to cheer against nor demean their team. In other words, if you want to cheer for the Habs and criticize the Bruins, do it on the Habs board. And if someone is doing the opposite on the Bruins board, don't start flaming them to defend the honor of your team. Either ignore it or respectfully disagree and move on. Wishing illness or injury on someone will almost always be regarded as trolling or offensive. We do not permit any forums to be used to demean/insult the fans of other teams. That is considered trolling. Copying posts from one HFBoard team forum to another for this purpose is considered trolling.

Stop quoting the Pens board or the main board.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He did do those things, but because he was going to play the puck. Every time a defenseman retrieves a puck in that area they do the same exact thing. He stops short (generally a good idea when there's a wall in front of you), and yes, puts his ass out/head down to play the puck, which he in facts does on the backhand.

Not trying to pile on here, but you're missing the mark on this one. Your quest to be the ultimate objective fan is actually making you anything but.

Was it the worst hit ever? No. Should he be suspended? Arguable, but now that I've calmed down a bit (from last night) I'm ok with the no-suspension decision. But it was also a moronic play from a ****** of a player who has just a tiny bit of history of making moronic plays against this franchise. Not sure why you're tying yourself in knots trying to defend the ****** and place partial blame on McQuaid.

Because, like a total moron asking for it McQuaid "stuck his ass out and put his head down" in a totally moronic attempt to position himself to play the puck.

He should know that the guy five strides away is going to come in full speed and drill him in the numbers.

du5566*

What did the Pens d-man do then?

What did he do if somehow Campbell was able to warp him up? Not stop? Keep skating?

What did you want McQuaid to do? Not stop? Skate through the boards? Peel away in front of the crease, or away from the puck behind the net?

You aren't making sense.

The Penguins defenseman SLOWED up well before the boards Campbell caught up, they engaged, Campbell wrapped up, and they went into the boards together. This play literally happens all the time in hockey. On the McQuaid hit he seems to be confused as to where Cooke is, he comes to a near halt, almost seems to lose his balance, sticks his ass out which in turn lowers his head towards the boards, Cooke who seemed to be committed to the hit at that point and had little time to react to McQuiad’s actions contacts him in the numbers (which is a clear penalty), and McQuaid goes face first into the boards. These things happen in a split second and it's a tough play but I would be willing to bet a lot of money that McQuid would even admit himself that he played it all wrong. The reality is it’s OK to say the Cooke hit is a penalty and that McQuaid putting himself in a vulnerable position made the play more dangerous than it had to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad