Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah again what's wrong with letting JAD build up his skills in the AHL? Let's not Wagner/Clifford him by calling him up too early. That's how guys stagnate and then we wonder why they can't do more when they're shoved into a "now now be responsible" role in the NHL before they get big offensive minutes in the other level.
I agree 100%.

I'm still miffed as to why they have Wagner up in the NHL.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
JAD hasn’t been thrust in like Wags or Clifford.

They have options which is good. He could marinate another year in the A if needed absolutely.

I think JAD has a fighting chance at sticking. It’s his all around game that makes him have a shot.

Wagner, Luff, Amadio, and the like are fringe guys that have a bit of specialized skill but have not shown terribly much on a craptastic team. They are close to being moved on from or they could do the same middling thing next year until guys start passing them. They are inconsistent and most likely AHL level guys.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yes JAD was one of the youngest players in his draft.

I do think he is one of our prospects that is not gonna make it or is included in a trade.

For some reason he is missing the x factor.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Disagree respectfully, I think JAD will be a very good 3rd liner. Responsible everywhere, can play all situations, still pretty skilled/can contribute.

I agree he's got some game, it's just gonna take some time. He may not rise above the 4th line center in the long run, we don't know, I see the 3rd line as his ceiling. He's a high energy player, a leader, his skating is pretty good, he's defensively responsible. Needs a lot of work on face-offs, probably won't be a big goal scorer. Could be a good PK guy. He busted his butt last game, double-shifting all game centering the 1st and 4th lines. He's just not skilled enough to carry and AHL team on his back, driving puck possession and scoring opportunities. The Reign's fortunes down the stretch will be determined by who stays up, and who comes back down. The line up right now is somewhat offensively challenged. Big game today. They need a win to get back into a playoff spot.

Reactions: Vino and LAKings88

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Kopi
Vilardi
Turcotte
JAD

Turcotte or JAD could also move to wings.

Solid 1-4 tho.

Also have Kupari, Thomas, Dudas.

Not to mention the top five pick this year.

Not all will make it. Some will be moved out for established players when the time comes.

Reactions: tonellisghost

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Kopi
Vilardi
Turcotte
JAD

Turcotte or JAD could also move to wings.

Solid 1-4 tho.

Also have Kupari, Thomas, Dudas.

Not to mention the top five pick this year.

Not all will make it. Some will be moved out for established players when the time comes.
If you really want to rank the center depth then it’s as follows...

The Incumbents:
Anze Kopitar
Jeff Carter
Blake Lizotte
Michael Amadio

The Prospects:
Gabriel Vilardi
Alex Turcotte... could move to LW
Tyler Madden
JAD... could move to RW
Akil Thomas... could move to RW

X-Factor
2020 draft pick

Mystery Man:
Bulat Shafigullin

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center

The Incumbents:
Anze Kopitar
Jeff Carter
Blake Lizotte
Michael Amadio

The Prospects:
Gabriel Vilardi
Tyler Madden
JAD... could move to RW

X-Factor
2020 draft pick

Mystery Man:
Bulat Shafigullin

I think Thomas is one of the players to get moved for a need down the line and Amadio I’m pretty much done with . He shouldn’t be getting consistent minutes or be in the lineup daily. I don’t think he has a spot on this team in the future . Probably gets moved sometime in the next 2 years

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yeah Thomas I feel is going to be the odd man out eventually. With this years draft he's going to be pushed further down the depth chart. I just think this team likes JAD too much to move him. Because JAD has much more value than just being a center or a winger where he could probably do both. And while I love Akil because he seems like a great kid, its a tougher path for him simply because he's just further away than everyone else out of all the top prospects and that the longer he takes the less likely he'll be able to crack this roster.

Akil probably will/should move to the winger position, but its going to be a struggle for him to either make it as a center or winger because of who he's up against. At center Vilardi, Turcotte and JAD are likely going to be the key centers when the team is ready to compete again. And then at winger he's up against Kaliyev, Fagemo and probably Kupari. And this is not including who draft this year. If its one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle or Raymond he's going to get pushed down even further. Akil better pray the Kings draft Drysdale with our first pick.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think Thomas is one of the players to get moved for a need down the line and Amadio I’m pretty much done with . He shouldn’t be getting consistent minutes or be in the lineup daily. I don’t think he has a spot on this team in the future . Probably gets moved sometime in the next 2 years
Add JAD to the list of guys that’ll likely be moved.. heck, he’d be gone already had Max had agreed to terms

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I wouldnt be too surprised if Thomas became the Kings next future Captain,I dont see him being traded at this time.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

The Incumbents:
Anze Kopitar
Jeff Carter
Blake Lizotte
Michael Amadio

The Prospects:
Gabriel Vilardi
Tyler Madden
JAD... could move to RW

X-Factor
2020 draft pick

Mystery Man:
Bulat Shafigullin
Forgot about Madden.

Kings have a lot of guys that are possible center/winger prospects.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yeah Thomas I feel is going to be the odd man out eventually. With this years draft he's going to be pushed further down the depth chart. I just think this team likes JAD too much to move him. Because JAD has much more value than just being a center or a winger where he could probably do both. And while I love Akil because he seems like a great kid, its a tougher path for him simply because he's just further away than everyone else out of all the top prospects and that the longer he takes the less likely he'll be able to crack this roster.

Akil probably will/should move to the winger position, but its going to be a struggle for him to either make it as a center or winger because of who he's up against. At center Vilardi, Turcotte and JAD are likely going to be the key centers when the team is ready to compete again. And then at winger he's up against Kaliyev, Fagemo and probably Kupari. And this is not including who draft this year. If its one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle or Raymond he's going to get pushed down even further. Akil better pray the Kings draft Drysdale with our first pick.
I dont understand your arguments regarding JAD vs. Thomas.

Thomas plays on the wing too.

He couldnt play in the AHL this year but I can see him take over JAD’s role quite easily. He is much better at face offs and stronger.

If anything, JAD should pray LA takes Drysdale, unless Akil is having a much worse season than JAD.

He is IMO a better option at center on the 3rd line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I dont understand your arguments regarding JAD vs. Thomas.

Thomas plays on the wing too.

He couldnt play in the AHL this year but I can see him take over JAD’s role quite easily. He is much better at face offs and stronger.

If anything, JAD should pray LA takes Drysdale, unless Akil is having a much worse season than JAD.

He is IMO a better option at center on the 3rd line.

I disagree. I think Akil is much further away even if he has more skill. Just reading between the lines about what's said about JAD vs Thomas, Akil's skillset is more suited for a top 6 role whereas JAD is more suited for the bottom 6. I obviously don't see Akil making it in a top 6 role which is why I think Akil will be the odd man out. I'm not saying he won't make it or that he won't improve, but as of this moment in time I don't see him beating out JAD for the future 3c role. I really hope he proves me wrong because I f***ing love this kid and want him to succeed and especially want him on the Kings.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Turcs is going to be a very solid 2nd C with solid character. I like him a bunch and he is having a really solid NCAA year. Can't go by the stats alone, the kid can play.

This is a lazy argument TG.

It's not "stats", you used the same argument years ago when you were defending Richards horrible play too, saying people only cared about stats as MR was putting up some of the worst defensive play we've ever seen from a Kings player. It was wrong then, and it's wrong right now in this situation. I wish Turcotte's offensive numbers were better, but it is what it is, you can see his offensive skill is apparent, no one is disputing that, but you can't just gloss over what has happened in the defensive zone and say he is having a "really solid year", because frankly he didn't have a really solid year for a player of his ability and draft pedigree, and I imagine he would be the first to tell you that.

I like Turcotte and I am not writing him off or calling him a bust, far from it. But I have also watched him play more than a few times this season and his play in the defensive zone has been a major area of concern, especially for a player who carries so much of his value in what he is supposed to bring in a 200 foot game. The 200 foot game has simply not been there this season for Turcotte or many of the players on his team (especially the younger ones). I believe a year of improvement and more importantly a year of building strength will probably correct alot of that.

But let's not gloss this over. Again, not calling him a bust, I still think he's arguably the Kings #1 prospect and no worse than #3, but this season has been a struggle, and it's not just people looking at a stat sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad