Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
Not sure why you have Vilardi rated at the top. Wishful thinking? Gabe hasn't played a lot hockey in 2-3 years! He's either Rocky or Bullwinkle. Vilardi's kind is going the way of the Dodo! Big and slow...with skills that haven't been sharpened in a few years tend to disappear!
I hope you are wrong

Reactions: andys

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Not sure why you have Vilardi rated at the top. Wishful thinking? Gabe hasn't played a lot hockey in 2-3 years! He's either Rocky or Bullwinkle. Vilardi's kind is going the way of the Dodo! Big and slow...with skills that haven't been sharpened in a few years tend to disappear!

Vilardi is first by default . Not ready to label him a bust and he is the most skilled and most elite prospect we have . He’s a kopitar lite first line player . You can exclude him or include him but I believe our prospect pool is top 5 now .

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Kopitar lite is not better than better than Mike Richards

I'm not even sure Kopitar peak is better than Mike Richards peak. Personally, I'd say no.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT

I'm not even sure Kopitar peak is better than Mike Richards peak. Personally, I'd say no.
Richards was a Hart candidate who was capable of Selke, Byng, and 90+ pts in a single season? M. Richards was a top 3-5 favorite non-King before he ever came to LA. PHI is the team that got me into hockey. M. Richards is not close to peak Kopitar.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Richards was a Hart candidate who was capable of Selke, Byng, and 90+ pts in a single season? M. Richards was a top 3-5 favorite non-King before he ever came to LA. PHI is the team that got me into hockey. M. Richards is not close to peak Kopitar.

That season was Kopis peak?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Vilardi is first by default . Not ready to label him a bust and he is the most skilled and most elite prospect we have . He’s a kopitar lite first line player . You can exclude him or include him but I believe our prospect pool is top 5 now .
I get it you like Vilardi and hope he's the next savior of this franchise! Be realistic,its not going to happen! I hope I'm wrong...I was excited that he slipped to 11 in 2017 but really I got caught up in the hype of the Memorial Cup win by Windsor(Vilardi's team)! I've moved on...the Kings have thrown draft choice after draft choice at the center position alone...Anderson-Dolan,Kupari,Thomas and Turcotte who I really like! I expect Turcotte to remain at center while the others will be converted in Wingers...LW or RW! All will be our top 9 in short order! Now this is not a dig but Vilardi doesn't fit anywhere except on RW and besides he may be made available to the Seattle franchise in 2021...

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I get it you like Vilardi and hope he's the next savior of this franchise! Be realistic,its not going to happen! I hope I'm wrong...I was excited that he slipped to 11 in 2017 but really I got caught up in the hype of the Memorial Cup win by Windsor(Vilardi's team)! I've moved on...the Kings have thrown draft choice after draft choice at the center position alone...Anderson-Dolan,Kupari,Thomas and Turcotte who I really like! I expect Turcotte to remain at center while the others will be converted in Wingers...LW or RW! All will be our top 9 in short order! Now this is not a dig but Vilardi doesn't fit anywhere except on RW and besides he may be made available to the Seattle franchise in 2021...

Actually I don’t know much about Vilardi like I said I have him first by default by all reports and what his true potential is . I doubt he gets to it if he doesn’t get better soon.

For me Kupari is my favorite and believe will be our savior. I can’t help but think Kupari becomes an elite top line player . He’s born for the modern NHL.

Reactions: kilowatt and andys

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center

Mike Richards was my favorite non king player also the second we traded for him I told everyone that the Kings are going to win the cup. Turned out to be true but man did he ruin his career and more cup runs for us . What a player . If Turcotte ends up being like Mike Richards we would be very lucky

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Actually I don’t know much about Vilardi like I said I have him first by default by all reports and what his true potential is . I doubt he gets to it if he doesn’t get better soon.

For me Kupari is my favorite and believe will be our savior. I can’t help but think Kupari becomes an elite top line player . He’s born for the modern NHL.
Like Kupari too! See him playing RWing with center Turcotte and LW,Anderson-Dolan...LA's whiz kids line because they going to be flying around and creating havoc and scoring opportunities galore!

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Mike Richards was my favorite non king player also the second we traded for him I told everyone that the Kings are going to win the cup. Turned out to be true but man did he ruin his career and more cup runs for us . What a player . If Turcotte ends up being like Mike Richards we would be very lucky

Mine as well. I still didn't think I ever see a Cup though.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, Richards’ 09/10 season is super impressive. 30-50-80 in 79gp is nothing to sneeze at.

Was a Selke finalist that year too. And that was sandwiched with a few top-10 Selke finishes. Unfortunately much like Toews much of Mike Richards' effectiveness isn't 'recorded' like others would be.

As huge a fanboy as I was of his knack for big moments on top of the aforementioned peak, I'd still have a hard time saying he peaked harder than Kopitar. I mean, pick a season--the one with 92 points, hart finalist, Selke winner? The years he led the playoffs in scoring and had a legit Conn Smythe case? Leading Slovenia at the Olympics despite being the only guy you had to focus on?

They both will have understated careers when all is said and done, but we will all remember.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Was a Selke finalist that year too. And that was sandwiched with a few top-10 Selke finishes. Unfortunately much like Toews much of Mike Richards' effectiveness isn't 'recorded' like others would be.

As huge a fanboy as I was of his knack for big moments on top of the aforementioned peak, I'd still have a hard time saying he peaked harder than Kopitar. I mean, pick a season--the one with 92 points, hart finalist, Selke winner? The years he led the playoffs in scoring and had a legit Conn Smythe case? Leading Slovenia at the Olympics despite being the only guy you had to focus on?

They both will have understated careers when all is said and done, but we will all remember.

Nailed it. Well done. Guys who contribute far more than shows on the score sheet are my favorite type of players and are oft forgotten despite seemingly be able to win on will alone. They say you will not beat me and will do anything to win.

Why that season, right? It wasn't Kopis best. As you said either 12 or 14.

We would seriously be talking about a historic player if you combined Kopis body with Ritchies heart.

Reactions: Kings Rule

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

I think peak Kopitar is better than peak Richards for sure. Not by a ton, but definitely better.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Apologies if somebody already made the same observation......

...I was looking at the Kings schedule and spotted that they play at Chicago on March 29th. It's possible that Wisconsin would have been eliminated by then (that'd be the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament), so perhaps Turcotte's first NHL game could be in his hometown?

Edit: It's summer and I'm bored.

March 7-9: Earliest Wisconsin's season could be done
March 15-16: Big 10 tournament semifinals
March 14-22: Wisconsin Spring Break
March 22: Big 10 Final
March 27-29: Opening round NCAA tournament
March 29: Kings@Blackhawks

Could see Turcotte turning pro after doing Spring Break with the boys (assuming they don't qualify for the tournament).

Clayton Keller's NHL debut came in his hometown of St. Louis which I'm sure was a memorable experience for him.

Last edited:

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego

images

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I will say this: if Turcotte reaches his full potential and becomes our first line center, we will have a really good team. I think he has a lot of offensive potential that was downplayed because of the Hughes hype.

Rooks

Apr 16, 2019
Richards came to LA as a 26 year old and was clearly behind Kopitar in every way imaginable.

I think Kopi gets underrated a bit by our fanbase, Doughty and Quick were great players but I feel like when we look back at the dominant era of Kings hockey that Kopitar will be seen as the best player.
100% agree with this

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Richards came to LA as a 26 year old and was clearly behind Kopitar in every way imaginable.

I think Kopi gets underrated a bit by our fanbase, Doughty and Quick were great players but I feel like when we look back at the dominant era of Kings hockey that Kopitar will be seen as the best player.

There are a handful of people who seem like they'll never forgive him for the double-digit contract unfortunately. But I think he'll get the appropriate due in L.A. in good time.

But can't imagine what kind of fanfare he'd get if he played in like Montreal or Ottawa. I think of how people fall all over themselves over Bergeron and if Kopitar misses the Hall of Fame it will be based on location (Edit: and country of origin) and nothing else.

Even the Toews and Bergeron folks who LIKE Kopitar are always shocked at how far he's outscored them (despite the Kings offensive black hole) and how many more games/ice time he's been durable for versus his reputation. Dude is an absolute monster all over the ice, he's just so boringly effective by being big and protecting the puck that he doesn't make the highlight reels enough for eastcoasters to appreciate his true abilities which you can only love watching him full time. Never mind that he led the kings in scoring for a decade by a country mile while those other guys were their teams 4th options some years...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad