Prospect Info: 5th Overall Pick, Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP UPDATED: Signs 3 Year ELC 3/11/20

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
If the Kings decided to offer Alex Turcotte to every team in the NHL at the draft for their 1st round pick what number do you think it would get to before someone said yes? If it's beyond #5, his point is correct.

I get the point but the scenario is completely arbitrary. And the Kings aren’t looking to trade him NOW anyway unless it blows Blake away.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Anyone under contract or that has their rights held by a professional sports team is an asset, much like a stock.

Initial buy in of Turcotte stock was expensive and it has only gone down since the initial offering. Nobody is giving up the 5OA in this draft for him: I don't think anyone would have done that in any draft that has followed either.

I'm not saying the stock can't eventually return to its original level but it does seem like most are hoping for just a slight loss at this point that isn't a big deal if the rest of the portfolio performs well.

I understand. Even if Turcotte is traded for the 10th overall pick next year and that pick turns out great and helps the Kings over the hump then his value still remains. I just think it’s a bit preemptive to say his value is less now than when and where he was drafted since he’s not even started his NHL career as of yet.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Having Zegras in Anaheim is the biggest issue although I think he gets really overhyped based on his flash. We will see in a few years how this all shakes out...

Yeah, those two will be linked and compared as long as they both play down the freeway from eachother. You really can't compare them yet, not until Turcotte become a regular NHLer. Zegras got 24 games in last year, plus another 17 AHL, and has almost 50 NHL games this year. That's a big head start.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Yeah, those two will be linked and compared as long as they both play down the freeway from eachother. You really can't compare them yet, not until Turcotte become a regular NHLer. Zegras got 24 games in last year, plus another 17 AHL, and has almost 50 NHL games this year. That's a big head start.
Zegras dominated two WJC and is a rookie of the year candidate. I think it's ok to say the Kings didn't get the better player. Doesn't mean that Turcotte won't be a big part of the team one day either.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I included every game he played those years, you include his low scoring total when the Kings couldn't score, so how is it lame to include all the games?

And his time in Philadelphia is valid, people continue to make comparisons between him and Turcotte and I am disputing that because MR had a much higher offensive ceiling.

Lars Eller is a fine comparison for the type of player Turcotte could become. Him, or Cogliano or Copp or going further back Todd Marchant. You seem to think I hate Turcotte as a player because I dispute ridiculous comparisons like Mike Richards or Jonathan Toews which have no basis in reality. I just hate the pick used to take him, had he been a #15-20 overall pick it would be fine. But all the guys I compared him to are or were solid third line players who contributed to their teams.

To answer your other question, for the #5 overall pick to be deemed an "awesome" pick, the player would have to be a Seider type talent, that is an awesome pick. For it to be a good pick I think it's fair to expect a very high end 2nd line player from a pick that high, someone like a Mike Richards or Dylan Larkin is what I reasonably expected when the Kings took a C that high in the draft. Anything less than that and the ROI starts to slip.
I expect Turc to be Brayden Schenn-esque.

Reactions: kingsfan

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
BTW, this discussion was re-started on this board because of Fox's interview.
Nah, it was restarted after I watched the "Seider Story So Far" video and impulsively posted it to the thread. I definitely didn't mean to imply anyone knew that Seider would be the best player in the draft at this point this year. I think contemporaneously there were close to zero people advocating for Zegras over Turcotte. And if you watch the Seider video, you'll see that it was universally thought of as a foolish pick. Maybe even by Seider.

Reactions: kingsfan

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I remember watching the draft with my buddy, who is a Wings fan, and mocking him for his team going that far off the board. Seider was a huge reach. In my pre-draft list I had him 15th overall and the fourth highest defenseman. The highest I can find him ranked on any pre-draft rankings is 10th by HockeyProspects and he was ranked in the 20's by The Hockey News (22nd), Sportsnet (24th) and Craig Button (26th).

For what it's worth, I had Turcotte 4th overall.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Would anyone be able to provide some insight on what’s up with Turcotte? Obviously numbers/stat watching doesn’t paint the full picture, but why wasn’t he able to stick to the NHL and are there worries about his development? Is he a potential trade candidate?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would anyone be able to provide some insight on what’s up with Turcotte? Obviously numbers/stat watching doesn’t paint the full picture, but why wasn’t he able to stick to the NHL and are there worries about his development? Is he a potential trade candidate?

he's dead. Fell off a cliff, died on impact.

Really injuries have been the story of his development. Every time he gets in a rhythm, he gets beat up. This one may be a concussion, but no one knows, we just know the hit it happened on. Definitely concerns about his development but I can't imagine trading him for pennies on the dollar with how high they were on him.

He looked excellent at the NHL level but much like everyone else, the production just wasn't there. Whether that means 'yet' or 'at all' is TBD. But he's absolutely an NHL-caliber player, he's not gonna bust out of the league, he was a nightmare on the forecheck and drove possession, showed a lot of vision, just none of the kids can finish yet. Really does everything but shoot at a high level, I really do envision him as either a complementary 2nd line-ish winger or a 3C, he's too good at everything to not make an impact, the ultimate questions are what they've always been--offensive upside and health.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
he doesn't really have a suitable spot on the NHL roster right now imo, plus he seems to get hurt or sick every time he steps out the door

i don't think he's a trade candidate yet but there's probably some decisions to be made next season

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Thanks for the feedback, it’s unfortunate to hear that he’s dealing with multiple injuries. Hopefully both him and Byram can turn corners on injuries and reach their full potential.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Tucotte needs Beskar armor!

1650990256989.png

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Would kings fans trade Druzi + turcotte + 23 1st for jt miller + Michael dipietro?

If that’s too much would swapping durzi for walker or Roy help?

No brainer trade for the Kings, and the Kings would clearly prefer to move Durzi or Walker over Roy.

Doughty replaces Durzi, who the Kings are selling high on. The Kings throw in the towel on Turcotte but his chances of ever being anything remotely close to Miller are very low and if he has a fourth straight disappointing year after being drafted there will be no value at this time next year. Trading a 2023 first is very scary with how good the top of the draft is looking, but the odds of the Kings being bad enough next season are pretty low. You are basically adding a full season of Miller and half a season of Doughty to a 100 point playoff team and only losing the adventures of Sean Durzi from the NHL roster.

Miller / Kopitar / Kempe
Moore / Danault / Arviddson
Iafallo / Byfield / Kaliyev
Lemieux / Kupari / Grundstrom

Anderson / Doughty
Bjornfot / Roy
UFA / Spence

That is a pretty impressive lineup going into next season. Really the only concern is goaltending.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Would kings fans trade Druzi + turcotte + 23 1st for jt miller + Michael dipietro?

If that’s too much would swapping durzi for walker or Roy help?
I do not believe Kings will have any interest in Miller.

His age, his new contract (8.5-9.0 X 8) and assets to spend will be totally counterproductive for Kings

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No brainer trade for the Kings, and the Kings would clearly prefer to move Durzi or Walker over Roy.

Doughty replaces Durzi, who the Kings are selling high on. The Kings throw in the towel on Turcotte but his chances of ever being anything remotely close to Miller are very low and if he has a fourth straight disappointing year after being drafted there will be no value at this time next year. Trading a 2023 first is very scary with how good the top of the draft is looking, but the odds of the Kings being bad enough next season are pretty low. You are basically adding a full season of Miller and half a season of Doughty to a 100 point playoff team and only losing the adventures of Sean Durzi from the NHL roster.

Miller / Kopitar / Kempe
Moore / Danault / Arviddson
Iafallo / Byfield / Kaliyev
Lemieux / Kupari / Grundstrom

Anderson / Doughty
Bjornfot / Roy
UFA / Spence

That is a pretty impressive lineup going into next season. Really the only concern is goaltending.

Agreed, but I think you have to make sure that contract is something you can stomach before you make that trade.....he's going to be inline for 7-8-9mil for 6 years.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad