Value of: 5th Overall in a 1:1 - Straight Up Trade

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
lottery luck.

In all reality, a scoring center, top-2 RHD are probably the most popular responses here.
Then they use the pick to draft Bouchard. There's no scoring C but there's a damn good promising top 2 RHD available.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The William Nylander suggestion is very intriguing. Toronto hungry for a D and a little disappointed in Nylander, no? Also he’s RFA and maybe Toronto doesn’t want to tie up that massive chunk of change just yet. Maybe they just love hometown boy Evan Bouchard a whole lot. Or Hughes or Boqvist or Dobson for that matter.

Anyway, Nylander is the only interesting suggestion so far.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Stepan got the 7th overall last year. So someone just a little bit better than Stepan

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yes..yes your post was. Here's hoping you get better.

You offered Gardiner, who has 1 year left on his contract, for the 5th overall.

And my post was pathetic...?

Shame on you.

If you’re going to post a proposal, at least take the time to make it realistic that actually makes sense for the other team.

Jake Gardiner for the 5th overall is straight up garbage.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Is that the going rate for 50 point d-men now?

I did not say it was fair, just that he is the best asset I would offer. It's a case of all our assets being worth more or less but Gardiner being the closest.

If by closest you mean not even in the ballpark, then sure thing.

I’m guessing you’d say no, but Nazem Kadri is fair. Maybe Nylander/Rielly. Marner is worth significantly more, and obviously Matthews is too.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The William Nylander suggestion is very intriguing. Toronto hungry for a D and a little disappointed in Nylander, no? Also he’s RFA and maybe Toronto doesn’t want to tie up that massive chunk of change just yet. Maybe they just love hometown boy Evan Bouchard a whole lot. Or Hughes or Boqvist or Dobson for that matter.

The guy that suggested Nylander always has some ridiculously hot takes. I don't think any rational Leaf fan considers such a trade. Maybe more like OEL, not the #5. Don't think this draft is good enough that you even consider trading a 21 year old 1st line RW with the potential to be move to the middle of the ice for the #5....not that well defined of a tier after picks 2/3. Certainly, you'd be lucky to get a player in the first place on the developmental path of where Nylander is today.

Realistically, Leafs don't have the assets to move a single piece for the #5...and I'm not sure we'd have much interest in Bouchard either.....no ties there besides the London-Hunter connection. I'd be surprised if Hunter values him that much in the first place.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers could offer Zib but expect to get 3OA from MON for him

I don't see Nylander from Leafs who want a premium D instead, and take risk in 5OA better or not than Nylander, also while RFA not UFA that is still not cheap for 'yotes covering bases.

If there is any flexibility and 1:1 is not rock hard, I would do Andersson [former 7OA, elc, available to play immediately] and Skjei, RFA, for 5OA in 2018 + AZ 2019 1st. That's a lot but the 2019 is delayed gratification. If OEL needs to go, having Skjei will be huge and his price would be more later.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If by closest you mean not even in the ballpark, then sure thing.

I’m guessing you’d say no, but Nazem Kadri is fair. Maybe Nylander/Rielly. Marner is worth significantly more, and obviously Matthews is too.

None of those offers would make sense in our position. That was kind of my point. Only Gardiner would and I have already stated it's not fair. Rielly is probably worth more IMO but I know on HF he's only a #4 D.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Depends on who is there.

I'd think long and hard about Krug if Brady is still there. But, then the Bruins #1 need immediately becomes a top 3 LHD, and they suddenly have Donato, Bjork and Tkachuk all as left-handed wingers looking to make the show with only one open winger spot (Krejci's RW).

Ok so never mind, no match from Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad