5pt night for McDavid (and goty candidate?)

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I curse those damn lottery numbers. One number off. Literally one. Most combinations left of any team AND HE HAD TO GO TO EDMONTON. Why couldn't the hockey gods smile at Toronto that day... just why. What a player man.

You guys already have generational at puck retrievals in Auston Matthews though :popcorn:

Reactions: phillipmatchett

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Awesome night for Connor, but GOTY worth goal???? yeah right, meh goal, nothing special about it, the only special thing was the lofty pass.
Sonny Milano in the other hand takes the lead in GOTY with his goal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I curse those damn lottery numbers. One number off. Literally one. Most combinations left of any team AND HE HAD TO GO TO EDMONTON. Why couldn't the hockey gods smile at Toronto that day... just why. What a player man.

Hockey Gods realize that Toronto has had every advantage you could possibly have in building an NHL team. They did justice by letting the Oil have it. Time to accept and move on T.Dot, and stop attacking your own home grown talent in McD cause he's not a Leaf.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
You guys already have generational at puck retrievals in Auston Matthews though :popcorn:

Don't heed the comments about random metrics to prop up any player. I love advanced stats because they're good at predicting. Matthews has 50 goal, 100 point potential (if they ever decide to get rid of Babcock) but McDavid far surpassed that threshold ages ago. Dude is probably going to drop 120 points on a team with zero depth. Possibly even 130 considering he usually starts off slow compared to his second halfs (where he goes on massive tears).

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Awesome night for Connor, but GOTY worth goal???? yeah right, meh goal, nothing special about it, the only special thing was the lofty pass.
Sonny Milano in the other hand takes the lead in GOTY with his goal.
He located the puck in the defenders feet at high speed, deked the goalie and scored in 3 quick moves. Sonny's was something that Gerbe and Hertl already did better.

Either way, that Devils forward has GOTY AINEC

Last edited:
Reactions: Aspirine

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hockey Gods realize that Toronto has had every advantage you could possibly have in building an NHL team. They did justice by letting the Oil have it. Time to accept and move on T.Dot, and stop attacking your own home grown talent in McD cause he's not a Leaf.

No one has an advantage over the other in building a team in a cap league my friend. I will not derail the thread with this topic but, 1. I am not attacking him, I praised him and 2. There was no justice in him going to an incompetent organization who had 3 of the past 5 first overalls in that time span.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Don't heed the comments about random metrics to prop up any player. I love advanced stats because they're good at predicting. Matthews has 50 goal, 100 point potential (if they ever decide to get rid of Babcock) but McDavid far surpassed that threshold ages ago. Dude is probably going to drop 120 points on a team with zero depth. Possibly even 130 considering he usually starts off slow compared to his second halfs (where he goes on massive tears).

Scary thing about McDavid is that he's still shaking off rust. Once he's back to 100%, the kid's going to tear the league apart.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Scary thing about McDavid is that he's still shaking off rust. Once he's back to 100%, the kid's going to tear the league apart.

Best pure hockey talent since Mario. He used to play against people in my high school grade, but he's a year younger and he was utterly dominant. One of my friends once said that there was no point in trying to defend him once he got even half a stride on you. He was going to go around you.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Tonight was the first game where he looked like himself.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No one has an advantage over the other in building a team in a cap league my friend. I will not derail the thread with this topic but, 1. I am not attacking him, I praised him and 2. There was no justice in him going to an incompetent organization who had 3 of the past 5 first overalls in that time span.

Free agency attractiveness varies wildly from one organization to the next. Oilers being at the bottom rung of that scale. Pre cap matters when talking about an organizations built up karma or what they deserve. Leafs signed high dollar free agents over and over and couldn't do anything with it, Oilers wouldn't even get a free agent to consider.

But yes. Let's drop this. Don't reply. Not derailing a McDavid thread. I will accept that you are praising the GOAT so let's stop now.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Can you imagine that Gretzky once had 153 in 51?
And had 49 points in one calendar month -- going +32 during the month (November, 1983).

I do think McDavid is the overall "best" player since Mario Lemieux. He has the extremely rare combination of uber-fast skating in full control of the puck and elite hockey-IQ.

I don't think McDavid's puck handling + vision is quite as good as Lemieux's (and his vision certainly not as good as Gretzky's), but it's not that far off. (Mario was on a different level, however, when it comes to beating goaltenders with an arsenal of shots/dekes/moves).

Since I've been watching hockey, from the mid-1980s on, the three best players I've seen are:
1. Gretzky up to September 1991
2. Lemieux 1987 to 1996
3. McDavid October 2016 to now

Everybody else -- Bourque, Messier, Forsberg, Yzerman, Hasek, Crosby, Ovechkin, Lidstrom... plus a few more I can't think of right now -- are just a step or two behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad