GDT: #59 | Rangers vs Penguins |!!SunFeb17@1230pmEST!!| NBC, SN, TVAS

Will the Pens oversleep their alarm and miss the first two periods of play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I feel pretty confident that the Pens will outplay NYR, its gonna take the NYR goalie to outplay CDS by a wide margin for the Pens to lose this game.

Unfortunately there’s a 50-50 chance that happens as our goaltending has been inconsistent all year...but I agree, as this year has shown, that we won’t win without stellar goaltending ...

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don’t know if I can stomach watching this game with the Pens in desperation mode after being knocked out of a PO spot by the Hurricanes...never imagined a day in the Sid and Geno era where we’d be looking up CAR and NYI in the standings....

Well, the team is better than their record when all is said and done, I look at the standings and notice one key feature. They are a plus 21 for goals for. They need to get some timely goaltending/defense. Being 500ish isn't going to do anything but stay'd the time, and things will have to move forward better once the TDL passes in 8 days. That's the timeline for a surgence. Yesterday, even a loss showed character and a willingness to want to do better.

Pens are 2 points from being the 2nd wildcard, 3 points from being 3rd in the division, 5 from being 2nd in the division. These times usually bring the best out of them. Desperation mode is playoff hockey.

Reactions: Dark Ambient

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Our boys need to start actually giving a **it for a full 60 minutes starting today.

I’ll say it again...it’s not a matter of motivation or desire that we can’t play good consistently for 60 minutes...it’s that we’re not a good enough team and that’s why you see good and bad play within the same game and between games...

Reactions: Al Smith

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well, the team is better than their record when all is said and done, I look at the standings and notice one key feature. They are a plus 21 for goals for. They need to get some timely goaltending/defense. Being 500ish isn't going to do anything but stay'd the time, and things will have to move forward better once the TDL passes in 8 days. That's the timeline for a surgence. Yesterday, even a loss showed character and a willingness to want to do better.

Pens are 2 points from being the 2nd wildcard, 3 points from being 3rd in the division, 5 from being 2nd in the division. These times usually bring the best out of them. Desperation mode is playoff hockey.

I wish you were right...see, I don’t think they’re better than their record...I don’t think we have the youth and speed anymore to play well (and hard) defensively for 60 minutes and our goaltending has been inconsistent all year, hence the record...I have zero confidence they can beat the Rags on a b2b unless CDS plays a tremendous game and, even if they win today on a great effort, I have less than zero confidence they can back it up against their kryptonite Tuesday in the NJD...

Reactions: Corvidae

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

I would actually argue that they're worse than their record. They've played bottom 5 caliber hockey for giant chunks of the season and are lucky to even be in the spot they're in. Now if you mean they're better on paper than their record, that I would agree with... somewhat. Look at that defense on paper. Who's under-performing? Letang has been great for much of the season, same with Dumo. The rest have been as poor as you'd expect. Individually they're not bad except for JJ, but collectively make a shit bottom 4.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I believe the magic number is win 15 games of the last 24 (101 points) or win 14 and one OT loss for (100 points).

That's 44/45 wins they need total.

They can afford to lose 7/8 games.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We suck against awful teams and the Rags are terrible, so I’m actually more nervous for this game than yesterday’s.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The streak starts now

You didn't specify winning or losing. Hockey Gods subscribe to Murphy's Law. You've doomed them...

What's the plan if they miss the playoffs or lose in the 1st rd ? even the 2nd rd ? Is this Kessel's last season in Pittsburgh ? No one believes Malkin will be traded but he will be 33 next season . Are they ever going to trade him ? Letang is still one of the best defenceman in the league and shouldn't be traded but will they ? If Ownership /Management feel they really aren't one of the top contending teams anymore . I'm expecting to get crushed by Penguin fans for asking these questions just curious though what the plan is . Just so everyone knows Im not asking about Malkin so Montreal can trade for him .

Everyone behind and on the bench will be on the hot seat.

I believe the magic number is win 15 games of the last 24 (101 points).....
They can afford to lose 7/8 games.
I know you're being positive but holy shit that's terrifying. They have to go 2-1 every three games now? f***. They might pick up two losses today and Tuesday man...omg

... there's an nhl press release about the pens not being in the playoffs right now? ok...

NHL Media lowkey hates the Pens and like shit like this. Bettman loves em, though. But I swear even when the Pens were decimating everyone in 15-16, NHL Network was always shitting on the team.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wish you were right...see, I don’t think they’re better than their record...I don’t think we have the youth and speed anymore to play well (and hard) defensively for 60 minutes and our goaltending has been inconsistent all year, hence the record...I have zero confidence they can beat the Rags on a b2b unless CDS plays a tremendous game and, even if they win today on a great effort, I have less than zero confidence they can back it up against their kryptonite Tuesday in the NJD...

They have youth, more than half the roster is 27 or younger, and they have Schultz back. Speed is not the concern. The stars need to play better, all of them save Crosby and Guentzel.

The D-core does need to be better, but in last games case it was Letang/Dumoulin who bore the bad front along with Murray. At Forward it was Malkin and Kessel despite having great PP success.

I would actually argue that they're worse than their record. They've played bottom 5 caliber hockey for giant chunks of the season and are lucky to even be in the spot they're in. Now if you mean they're better on paper than their record, that I would agree with... somewhat. Look at that defense on paper. Who's under-performing? Letang has been great for much of the season, same with Dumo. The rest have been as poor as you'd expect. Individually they're not bad except for JJ, but collectively make a **** bottom 4.

They need timely defense and goaltending, they score a lot, so I agree, But Letang lately hasn't been the case, he's been up and down.

Schultz helps tremendously.

I know you're being positive but holy **** that's terrifying. They have to go 2-1 every three games now? ****. They might pick up two losses today and Tuesday man...omg

They need to win 3 more games than their current record shows. Hardly terrifying.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
15-7 seems sketchy though. They can barely bust out of .500 lately. They need to improve like 50% or something.

f***ing math, man, after being up for 18 hours on 3 hours of sleep.

I don't even know what we're talking about.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Great GDT @EightyOne

These games are rough anymore. I do not have any confidence going into them. Even in 2009, which I alluded to yesterday being the latest we've been out of a playoff spot, I at least had seen the team culture change and a focus that they would be a force.

This team is limping and limping and it feels like they are losing confidence. Hopefully Geno's takeover yesterday sparked something but how many times have we said that this year?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Great GDT @EightyOne

These games are rough anymore. I do not have any confidence going into them. Even in 2009, which I alluded to yesterday being the latest we've been out of a playoff spot, I at least had seen the team culture change and a focus that they would be a force.

This team is limping and limping and it feels like they are losing confidence. Hopefully Geno's takeover yesterday sparked something but how many times have we said that this year?

Great post! Felt the exact same way in 2009.

Not saying I agree, but my buddy is adamant that today will be HCMS' last game. I don't agree with him, but hey, I don't think I'd be shocked!

Biggest thing that gives me little to no confidence in this team is they have been nearly incapable for the entire season of putting together consistent 60 minute solid efforts. Not every game is going to be a good one, but when a team is this inconsistent, it's a horrible sign.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
There are a few things Pens fans believe right now that I do not believe.

1) I do not fully believe Sully is to blame nor should he be fired. Sure he takes an equal portion of the blame, but the players show when they want to bring their "A" game, they control each and every game. They just can't seem to do it consistently.

Imagine Kessel/Geno playing at their real high level while Sid is doing what he's doing. We'd be unstoppable.

2) I do not believe goaltending is the issue, I believe team defense is the major issue. And it has been all year.

3) I think this team is only very small moves away from being a speed team that is a Cup contender (JJ out, Wilson sat, Simon/Pearson removed for speedy players).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
kYmyWna.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
CDS

Home 938 Save percentage
Road 901 Save percentage

Murray

Home 889 save percentage
Road 937 save percentage

I think we need to give CDS more home games and Murray more road games.

I was just going to say something about this...I think it’s significant this far into the season...

Reactions: cheesedanish87

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This game is really a turning point for me. If they continue to play like they did in the 3rd period yesterday, I'll be confident that they 'flipped the switch'. With Malkin looking more like himself, Schultz back, and still in control of their destiny, I'll be confident that they will make the playoffs. If they come out sloppy and uninspired like they usually do against bad teams, then I'll be concerned.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Great post! Felt the exact same way in 2009.

Not saying I agree, but my buddy is adamant that today will be HCMS' last game. I don't agree with him, but hey, I don't think I'd be shocked!

Biggest thing that gives me little to no confidence in this team is they have been nearly incapable for the entire season of putting together consistent 60 minute solid efforts. Not every game is going to be a good one, but when a team is this inconsistent, it's a horrible sign.

Yeah, firing the coach at this point is too late. Doing anything major save making tweeks/additions is the best they can do. They have enough space to make 1 good addition without subtraction beyond sending a guy down, Wilson/Blueger or waiving Ruhwedel and hope he sneaks through. If it is a depth D-man I don't even care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad