Post-Game Talk: #58| Sabres at FLYERS | Thu., Feb. 19, 2015|

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Interim that starts with what we hope is a new system could very well make the team worse all while giving us a jump on next season. ( see WPG)

Gerting a head start on next year is the exact opposite of short term thinking. Berube or no Berube we are picking 7-14. Give me a huge jump on next season over 7th pick everyday.

So who is out there that should be our next coach. Maybe the person Hextall wants is not available right now.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
The coach we have in the interim would almost certainly be a different coach than Hextall finds to stay long term... so how is he going to teach the players the system that the future coach will want to use when we have no clue who that will be or what they'll want to do???

The only situation where firing Berube before the summer would make any sense would be if a coach that Hextall wants to snatch up becomes available (by getting fired from another NHL team) and he's worried someone else might try to swoop in and get him, other than that all progress will need to be made after this seasons is over.

And there's a big difference between picking 7th and 14th by the way... could be the difference between an amazing player and merely a good complimentary piece. You never know so obviously it'd be better to have a bigger list to pick from.

I'm basing interim on the assumption that Hexy knows already the style he wants that will suit the players we have. The specific guy may not be known, but I assume he will not hire a coach with a system opposite of his vision. (Berube).

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
So who is out there that should be our next coach. Maybe the person Hextall wants is not available right now.

The guy prob isn't available. But if he knows the guy , get someone in now to start teaching the guys so they can hit the ground running at camp. The Jets give so much stock into their success this year from getting those 20 games under P mo last year, I doubt it's a fluke.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Top 90 forwards= top line production
91-180 = 2nd line production
135th in F scoring would be an average 2nd liner for production.

Couturier is 141st in F scoring....so almost exactly average 2nd line production.

At ES, Couts is 135th in F scoring...so exactly an average 2nd liner for production.

All while playing against teams top lines and having the hardest zone starts.

People need to re-examine point expectations in today's NHL.

And FWIW, BSchenn is 25th in LW scoring.

Adjust your expectations because these guys are performing as expected when compared to their peers.

No one is close to a 100 point pace. PPs are about half as common as 10 years ago. But a lot of fans haven't adjusted to the new dead puck era of obstruction and low scoring.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
i think the two are linked together. We put a lot of hope and faith into coots and schenn and this is year 4 and they havent clicked for whatever reason. I mean i have no problem with coots in a 3rd line role and doing what he does but in terms of scoring and making things happen on offense it hasnt happened.

Coots is a second line center, and for most of this year has produced like one while playing extremely disadvantageous minutes.

Edit: And I get the rage at Couturier going 5 hole...where's the rage for Simmonds? That was just as bad. Neuvirth abused him there.

The team is just flat out horrific in general at shootouts.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Coots is a second line center, and for most of this year has produced like one while playing extremely disadvantageous minutes.

Edit: And I get the rage at Couturier going 5 hole...where's the rage for Simmonds? That was just as bad. Neuvirth abused him there.

You knew Simmonds' SO magic would wear off soon enough. I do wish, however, I could say I was shocked he came up with an attempt like that, but I'm not. He either looks really good or absolutely dreadful.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I usually like the shootout. It can be entertaining. But when the worst team in the league is one of the best at shootouts it shows that the shootout is not a team competition and souldn't be used in a regular season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You knew Simmonds' SO magic would wear off soon enough. I do wish, however, I could say I was shocked he came up with an attempt like that, but I'm not. He either looks really good or absolutely dreadful.

He's actually been bad most of his time with the Flyers, really bad. This is the first year I think he's consistently been decent.

Conversely, Giroux hasn't gotten anything done on breakways or SOs and that's just bizarre, those were as close to auto-goals as you could get even last year.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Maybe Couturier's good at shootouts/breakaways in practice? There's got to be some reason Berube keeps sending him out there, right?

Besides that, Couturier had a good game.

Sweet hit by Read tonight on Ennis.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

is it about time we start calling out this teams best players? Jake and Giroux have been very disappointing of late. I get the whole lack of offensive zone argument. fine. but bottom line is out 2 best players have not been good enough of late.
2 must wins games at home before the tough back to back and they get 1 point. They were very fortunate to win on Sunday as well.
24 wins in 59 games and some think this is a playoff team? REALLY? just ****ing stop. .

This weekend is going to be a ****ing train wreck.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
is it about time we start calling out this teams best players? Jake and Giroux have been very disappointing of late. I get the whole lack of offensive zone argument. fine. but bottom line is out 2 best players have not been good enough of late.
2 must wins games at home before the tough back to back and they get 1 point. They were very fortunate to win on Sunday as well.
24 wins in 59 games and some think this is a playoff team? REALLY? just ****ing stop. .

This weekend is going to be a ****ing train wreck.

Jake works his ass off out there, just not getting the breaks and not getting any support. Giroux's been pretty invisible of late, though.

I think they'll lose to Nashville, but wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Caps.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Jake works his ass off out there, just not getting the breaks and not getting any support. Giroux's been pretty invisible of late, though.

I think they'll lose to Nashville, but wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Caps.

going to get a pissed off Preds team on Saturday. I am expecting it to be ugly.
One would think Zepp is starting one of the games. My expectations are pretty low right now. This team has got very little out of the top line the last couple of weeks at least. I am sure they are trying but they still need to be better.

hermes3893*

If you guys think the Flyers were bad today, watch the Pens game. They were even worse.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
wow... we lost against... the sabers... in fact every game has been very close.

Good lord we are just so.. meh...

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Can Berube be fired now. Playoffs are pretty much out of reach barring a miracle after these last two very winnable games. (+ the two OT losses where Berube played D men together who had not been out with each other for a few months, and Vinny.)

A team of NHL players coached by a chimp should beat the Sabres. The problem is the Flyers talent level outside of Giroux, Voracek, and Mason is right on par with Buffalo. Fire the coach but blow up the team as well.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Top 90 forwards= top line production
91-180 = 2nd line production
135th in F scoring would be an average 2nd liner for production.

Couturier is 141st in F scoring....so almost exactly average 2nd line production.

At ES, Couts is 135th in F scoring...so exactly an average 2nd liner for production.

All while playing against teams top lines and having the hardest zone starts.

People need to re-examine point expectations in today's NHL.

And FWIW, BSchenn is 25th in LW scoring.

Adjust your expectations because these guys are performing as expected when compared to their peers.

Thank you for that.

I'd still like to try to move BOTH Schenn's for a natural LW and D and a pick.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Was at the game and it was just awful but on the power play, Brayden Schenn is worthless out there. I'm fine that he sets up in the middle but he is never in a shooting position or a position to even take a pass.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I see a lot of comments about is this the whte flag that we will sell? Hextall has been on record now many times saying he is not buying at the deadline or selling any young kids or assets. I have no clue why everyone is so paranoid about Snider pulling the strings, until Hextall goes against his word I will trust him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad