Post-Game Talk: 58: Flyers at Maple Leafs, Saturday, February 20, 2016

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Is it possible that the introduction of the coach's challenge might be a reason for this inconcistency?
Refs are probably not very happy about that rule.

I doubt that the coach's challenge has affected how the refs call the game.

There's no consistency in the "ticky-tack" stuff. Similarly to holding in the NFL, there are holds that could be called all game in the NHL, but refs pick and choose when to call things like that.

Must be wildly frustrating for the players.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well I can no longer get to the full NHL site on my phone. The view full site link seems to have gone away with the redesign.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I hope that is the last time I see Andy Delmore mentioned.
dude was a good skater, but uhh yeah thats about it.

Though he was a forward, remember the Brad Jones signing and how all we heard was speed and skating?

http://articles.philly.com/1992-08-05/sports/25991523_1_russ-farwell-scott-lagrand-mark-pederson

Jones, 27, was a free-agent signee last summer, from the Los Angeles Kings. The Flyers liked Jones's speed and envisioned a substantial role when they gave Jones a three-year, $900,000 contract. The speed proved to be just about his only asset, however.

"Sometimes you make mistakes, and it's better to face them right away," Farwell said of Jones, who will get about two-thirds of the $600,000 he would have gotten for playing the next two seasons as a Flyer. He had seven goals and 10 assists last season.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Howe and Delmore were both great skaters.

Gostisbehere is a better skater than both.

I think Delmore is arguable.

I don't think he is a better skater than Howe... he does not have the top end speed Howe did/still does going off alum game! And Howe also had absurdly good edge-work and was a fantastic skater backwards too.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is it possible that the introduction of the coach's challenge might be a reason for this inconcistency?
Refs are probably not very happy about that rule.

It's definitely possible. NFL officiating - which used to be unassailably and easily the best in any major sport - has gone in the toilet since the advent of replay.

It's also possible that there is one too many referees on the ice. In 40 years of watching hockey, I have never seen officiating this poor. It has been up and down and we have had some real stinkers pull on the stripes, but nothing approaching this level of poor judgment and general incompetence.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's definitely possible. NFL officiating - which used to be unassailably and easily the best in any major sport - has gone in the toilet since the advent of replay.

It's also possible that there is one too many referees on the ice. In 40 years of watching hockey, I have never seen officiating this poor. It has been up and down and we have had some real stinkers pull on the stripes, but nothing approaching this level of poor judgment and general incompetence.

I think NFL reffing is very badly damaged by the fact that nobody knows what a catch is anymore.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think Delmore is arguable.

I don't think he is a better skater than Howe... he does not have the top end speed Howe did/still does going off alum game! And Howe also had absurdly good edge-work and was a fantastic skater backwards too.

What was nuts about the Alumni game was that Howe was a shell of his prime self, obviously...and was still pretty clearly faster than some of our active defensemen at the time!

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Cooling off the Ghost talk for a moment... this is what i want the line combos to look like when everyone's healthy:

Schenn-G-Simmonds
Laughton-Couts-V
Raffl-Cousins-Read
Hak line

Laughton needs to stay at left wing and Cousins needs to stay with the team.

Also, i really want them to break up the Hak line. VDV out, Gagner in. He's earned the playing time.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
CbtYXuSUYAEZOD8.jpg:large

And the goal: https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CbtRd37VAAINIa5.mp4

DayoftheGreek

Dec 10, 2008
Awesome game.
Awesome ending.
Awesome player.

Awesome band. Seriously, if any of you are unfamiliar with these guys: highly recommended.

I didn't like the linked song. Then I played pinnacle to the pit which was great. Now I'm listening to all of them.

ALSO HOLY **** GHOST AMAZING I RAN AROUND MY HOUSE FOR LIKE 10 MINUTES AMAZING WONDERFUL LETS GO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Seriously though did the leafs forget about ghost in OT? Who leaves him that open?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad