Post-Game Talk: #58 | Flyers at Flames | February 20, 2023

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
The Flyers locker room is f***ing pissed about Torts scratching Sanheim in his hometown game. Absolutely furious.

***Before anyone asks, I’m not divulging where I got this information.***
He did this to Morgan Frost. He has done this before coming to Philadelphia. This isn't new for him. He thinks this makes people 'play harder' or 'the right way'. In reality, what it does is alienate him from his team.

The guy is an a-hole, and either acts like a know-it-all or a baby in press conferences...All of this would be acceptable if he knew what he was doing, IE he knew how to put a winning lineup together in 2023....But he doesn't. He's f***ing clueless, just like the a-holes that wanted him hired.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
The Flyers locker room is f***ing pissed about Torts scratching Sanheim in his hometown game. Absolutely furious.

***Before anyone asks, I’m not divulging where I got this information.***

Of course they are, the guy is a spoiled little bitch of a boss.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
He did this to Morgan Frost. He has done this before coming to Philadelphia. This isn't new for him. He thinks this makes people 'play harder' or 'the right way'. In reality, what it does is alienate him from his team.

The guy is an a-hole, and either acts like a know-it-all or a baby in press conferences...All of this would be acceptable if he knew what he was doing, IE he knew how to put a winning lineup together in 2023....But he doesn't. He's f***ing clueless, just like the a-holes that wanted him hired.

The pettiness and vindictiveness inherent in decisions like this is something I can’t relate to at all. “I’d like to piss of my players today” is basically the gist of said decision.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Won a game they should have lost after losing a game they should have won.

Sanheim got benched b/c he has sucked for a long stretch - since Dec 7 when York came up:

Provorov CF 48.24% xGF 49.41% xGFrel +0.47 pp/60: 0.50
Sanheim CF 48.78% xGF 45.37% xGFrel -6.66 pp/60: 0.45
TDA CF 49.26% xGF 43.93% xGFrel -7.22 pp/60: 1.15
York CF 48.48% xGF 53.88% xGFrel +7.00 pp/60: 1.04
Risto CF 46.78% xGF 51.88% xGFrel +3.04 pp/60: 0.85

Sanheim and TDA have both sucked, but on a team starving for goals, at least TDA is creating offense (for both teams).

Farabee has also struggled, I think b/c he was never able to work out and missed TC he's simply worn down and has hit the wall. If they had any depth, they'd sit him for a week or two.

The problem with Lycksell is they don't have a 4C, and they want to play Hayes and JVR up to the TDL (and Hayes probably up to the summer) to maintain trade value. Lycksell should be back in LHV until JVR is traded, so he can get ice time on their 1st line then come up and play a top 9 role. Like Willman, he doesn't have the grit for a bottom line energy role, but at least has enough skill for a look higher in the lineup.
215378-ClassicDinnerRolls-mfs-4x3-0120-2cf66e52fedc4744b7ed65e4c921c409.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Except almost all his former players speak highly of him.
I think b/c he benches everyone, and there's usually a good reason.
But note how often he's refrained from comment rather than throw players under the bus.
With Torts, there are always second and third chances as long as you work hard to redeem yourself.

It's coaches like AV who seem to have a knack at alienating their players.
Once he decided Ghost wasn't his player, that was it.

Torts has gotten about as much as any HC could out of this team - I mean you look at Vancouver's talent v the Flyers, one team got the coach fired, the Flyers are still playing hard in a lost season.
Torts can't turn Frost into a 1C, Risto into a 1RHD, and so on. He's not a miracle worker.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
But note how often he's refrained from comment rather than throw players under the bus.
With Torts, there are always second and third chances as long as you work hard to redeem yourself.

Torts has gotten about as much as any HC could out of this team - I mean you look at Vancouver's talent v the Flyers, one team got the coach fired, the Flyers are still playing hard in a lost season.
Torts can't turn Frost into a 1C, Risto into a 1RHD, and so on. He's not a miracle worker.
So when are Provorov and the scrubs getting scratched????

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So you're telling us Provorov's "expected" results have been better since he was paired with York instead of Angelo, and Sanheim's have got worse since he had to play with Angelo? Shocking. :laugh:

If only someone could have predicted that Angelo would have by far the worst xGA/60 and GA/60 on the defense this season.

Go look at the Rel stats which take into account who they play with to some extent - Sanheim has been shit - and the eyeballs confirm it, for every good game there have been two bad games. He's been a turnover machine in too many games. And he's playing tentative on offense.

Yes, some of it is mismatched partners, Sanheim is playing his best with Braun, which was also true in previous seasons, he may need a CYA partner. And Sanheim - Risto have played much better since Risto returned to the lineup. TDA brings every partner down.

I don't really understand why, Torts encourages his D-men to be aggressive on offense, which should play into Sanheim's strengths - maybe he's just trying too hard to live up to his new contract and is pressing?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Former players very, very rarely speak ill of coaches. It's career suicide. It just isn't how NHL players behave.

It's meaningless.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Go look at the Rel stats which take into account who they play with to some extent - Sanheim has been shit - and the eyeballs confirm it, for every good game there have been two bad games. He's been a turnover machine in too many games. And he's playing tentative on offense.

Yes, some of it is mismatched partners, Sanheim is playing his best with Braun, which was also true in previous seasons, he may need a CYA partner. And Sanheim - Risto have played much better since Risto returned to the lineup. TDA brings every partner down.

I don't really understand why, Torts encourages his D-men to be aggressive on offense, which should play into Sanheim's strengths - maybe he's just trying too hard to live up to his new contract and is pressing?

Provorov has been shit. Where is his accountability? You told us Tortorella wouldn't be afraid to bench guys. Apparently he's afraid of hurting Provorov's feelings just like everyone else.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You've had that explained to you countless times now why that sample size is majorly flawed and yet continue to repeat it. Why is that?

Portraying Torts as this universally beloved coach is pulled straight out of his rectum. I remember a player’s poll was done a couple years ago by ESPN or The Athletic — doesn’t matter — and Torts was voted as one of the coaches for whom players would least like to play. Some former players love him, but he’s as ornery and abrasive as it gets, and we have even more stories of guys clashing with him. Guy is practically built to piss off top talent. He’s won 4 playoff rounds since 2004, so it’s not like there’s recent fond memories of winning under him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
York allegedly wasn't good enough to play 3LD in October, but since December he's been the Flyers best dman playing his off side. What a stunning turn of events.

And yet it was good that he was sitting rather than playing his offside. Because he'd be so damaged as a young prospect learning his way needing to play out of his comfort zone.

Somehow this also doesn't apply to Cates for some reason. Oh wait I know the reason, it's a thing Tortorella and management did, so therefore it must be good.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
York wasn't sitting, he was playing 20+ a night in LHV.

Provorov has resisted moving to the right side since he was a Flyer - and one reason he may be on the trade block is so they can move York over. Now if York was smart, he'd ask to stay on the right side b/c if he gets comfortable there it's an extra million a year when he signs his big long-term deal - RHDs are in much higher demand, and being proficent from both sides raises your value.

Cates is playing center primarily b/c they have no other viable options. The more he plays there, the better he plays, and increases his odds of staying there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
York wasn't sitting, he was playing 20+ a night in LHV.

Provorov has resisted moving to the right side since he was a Flyer - and one reason he may be on the trade block is so they can move York over. Now if York was smart, he'd ask to stay on the right side b/c if he gets comfortable there it's an extra million a year when he signs his big long-term deal - RHDs are in much higher demand, and being proficent from both sides raises your value.

Cates is playing center primarily b/c they have no other viable options. The more he plays there, the better he plays, and increases his odds of staying there.

He shouldn't have been playing in the AHL. He should have been in the NHL the whole time.

Please don't waste anyone's time writing about how a couple practice sessions determined his fate, because that's an idiotic decision that doesn't serve as a defense. It just makes the decision look worse.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
He shouldn't have been playing in the AHL. He should have been in the NHL the whole time.

Please don't waste anyone's time writing about how a couple practice sessions determined his fate, because that's an idiotic decision that doesn't serve as a defense. It just makes the decision look worse.
ohhh dont worry..

the sound of furioussssss typing is coming

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad