Essex

200px-Buffalo_Sabres_Logo.svg.png
V
200px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo.svg.png

Buffalo Sabres v Pittsburgh Penguins

PENGUINS (39-15-2) at SABRES (15-32-8)

TV: NBCSN, TSN2, RDS2

Last 10: Pittsburgh 7-3-0; Buffalo 2-5-3

Season series: This is the third and final game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres. The Penguins won the first two by a combined 7-1 score, with goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury stopping 44 of 45 shots.

Big story: Sabres goalie Ryan Miller will again represent the United States when the Sochi Olympics begin in a matter of days. Fleury couldn't crack the Canadian roster, but he leads the NHL with 30 wins and has the Penguins positioned as the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference.

Team Scope:

Penguins: With Taylor Pyatt injured on his opening shift in a 2-1 overtime win against the Ottawa Senators on Monday and Andrew Ebbett reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, assistant coach Tony Granato supplemented Pittsburgh's forward depth by skating on the fourth line at practice Tuesday.

Fleury became the fastest Penguins goalie ever to 30 wins in a season and had his teammates raving about a save he made in the third period on Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson. The Penguins went on to win when James Neal scored 1:55 into the extra period.

"That's the best one I've ever seen him make," Neal said of Fleury's glove stop on a blistering one-timer by Karlsson. "He's been doing that all year. He's an unbelievable goalie. He showed that. His consistency has been great all year. He just keeps getting better."

Sabres: Since a run of four wins in six games from Dec. 17-29, Buffalo has won just four of 16 games. Interim coach Ted Nolan has shuffled players in and out of the lineup; forward Ville Leino, a healthy scratch for the 3-2 loss to the Edmonton Oilers on Monday, saw some time on the second line at practice Tuesday.

With only six games remaining prior to the NHL Trade Deadline on March 5 -- two before the Olympic break, four after -- the scuttlebutt surrounding Miller's future continues. The 33-year-old pending unrestricted free agent has the sixth-best save percentage (.925) despite facing the fourth-highest volume of shots (1,339).

"We haven't talked about anything with regard to contracts," Miller said Tuesday of his dealings with Sabres management. "We haven't talked about anything with regard to trades."

Buffalo Sabres
Linus Omark - Tyler Ennis - Drew Stafford
Steve Ott - Cody Hodgson - Matt D'Agostini
Phil Varone - Zemgus Girgensons - Bryan Flynn
John Scott - Matt Ellis - Marcus Foligno

Christian Ehrhoff - Alexander Sulzer
Henrik Tallinder - Chad Ruhwedel
Mike Weber - Jamie McBain

Pittsburgh Penguins
Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby (C) - Brian Gibbons
Jussi Jokinen - Evgeni Malkin (A) - James Neal
Tanner Glass - Brandon Sutter - Jayson Megna
Harry Zolniercyzk - Craig Adams - Chuck Kobasew

Brooks Orpik (A) - Paul Martin
Oli Maatta - Rob Scuderi
Deryk Engelland - Robert Bortuzzo

[size=+2][glow=black]Team Leaders[/size][/glow]
large.png
||
large.png

Kunitz, Crosby 27|GOALS| Hodgson 14
Crosby 48|ASSISTS| Hodgson 16
Crosby 75|POINTS| Hodgson 30
Niskanen +27|PLUS MINUS| Ruhwedel +2
Glass 55|PIM|Scott 72​

i
V
i

2.25 GAA - 30-13-1 & .917% V 2.68 GAA - 14-21-2 & .925

Michael8771*

Tonight is gonna be a good night for our boys. Well, I hope so. Let's go pens!:handclap:

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
What's the over/under on number of times we're going to hear about Sid scoring the golden goal on Ryan Miller?

I'm waiting with bated breath to see if Kunitz plays tonight.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Neal will have a monster game tonight now that Team Canada needs a replacement for Stamkos.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Neal will have a monster game tonight now that Team Canada needs a replacement for Stamkos.

The roster invites are set... Stamkos will be replaced by one of the reserve players, not Neal. The games are in three days... can't exactly whip up all the documentation and other stuff required for a new player at this point AFAIK. Much less him have time to set up appropriate travel arrangements and the like.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's get to our game.

How much does anyone want to bet this is Kirks 2nd account, any takers, I got 500 V-cash?

Thanks for putting up the GDT, Shrimper!

You have been a GDT monster for a couple seasons or more.

This is his 14th GDT people, he deserves your praise.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hopefully Sid comes out hungry. I don't think he's gone longer than 2 games without a point yet this season, so hopefully he gets some tonight.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
The roster invites are set... Stamkos will be replaced by one of the reserve players, not Neal. The games are in three days... can't exactly whip up all the documentation and other stuff required for a new player at this point AFAIK. Much less him have time to set up appropriate travel arrangements and the like.

What? Neal can still replace Stamkos if he's chosen too. Canada's first game isn't till next Thursday, and they leave Sunday to Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad