GDT: #56| Saturday, Feb 11 2017| Sharks at Flyers |1:00 p.m. ET| CSN| Flyers win 2-1 in OT

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Both the Couturier and Giroux haters are ignoring the vital context of the team's current play style.

Aside from carrying in the puck, the center afterwards isn't terribly involved anymore, except to assist in board battles if need be; their territory seems to be behind the net. They used to finish rebounds from point shots but those aren't getting through or as dangerous in general now that teams have keyed in on us. The emphasis is setting up point shots. The wingers are largely doing that. Teams have noticed that. They're happy to let us have the outside. As the season went on, teams figured out our goal and have been making sure our dmen stay pushed to the boards. Hence when we've seen their shooting lanes in center ice cut off. Manning, MacDonald, Streit, and even Provorov are taking shots from the furthest point. On a cycle at this point really only Ghost and Gudas (of all people; it shows his confidence as well as his skating skills) have been managing to get loose and move up to be a successful threat. Our centers simply don't have much of a role right now, and as a consequence our centers have seen their ES scoring drop. Conversely, our dmen have seen their points per 60min rise, but by a smaller amount than our centers dropped. Scoring is dominated by wingers and dmen right now. Last year it was by centers. Hakstol has fully implemented his NCAA system and it isn't working now that teams have sorted it out. He needs to tweak it fast.

The way this team is playing right now is poor for scoring goals at the NHL level.

Great post.

Our forward attack style is honestly by biggest complaint with Hak. Its a bigger issue than the lineup.

It has completed neutered the Centers and in turn, our entire offense.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Great post.

Our forward attack style is honestly by biggest complaint with Hak. Its a bigger issue than the lineup.

It has completed neutered the Centers and in turn, our entire offense.

I suspect that, for the system to work as is, we would need to get another Voracek-level winger, and we would need Sanheim and Provorov on the team and playing to their hoped potential along with Ghost. Frankly on offense it doesn't much matter who the centers are; if they're high skilled that skill isn't being fully utilized. They're not the emphasis. If the dmen aren't scoring/shooting, it's generally the wingers following up or getting the puck back on their stick to try something else. It seems we rarely see the centers getting the puck back unless they had to cover for someone else as play progressed, or if it's dumped and they go get it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I suspect that, for the system to work as is, we would need to get another Voracek-level winger, and we would need Sanheim and Provorov on the team and playing to their hoped potential along with Ghost. Frankly on offense it doesn't much matter who the centers are; if they're high skilled that skill isn't being fully utilized. They're not the emphasis. If the dmen aren't scoring/shooting, it's generally the wingers following up or getting the puck back on their stick to try something else. It seems we rarely see the centers getting the puck back unless they had to cover for someone else as play progressed, or if it's dumped and they go get it.

Then how come Giroux and Schenn have been piling up 5 on 5 points playing (mostly) center? :sarcasm:

22 points in 109 games is a pile of something. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You're right. I will not use coots 15 points as a negative instead i will make it a positive. Love this every kid gets a trophy mentality.

Ah, strawman arguments. Sure sign of a failed cause.

Try applying context. I just gave you some which explains why we've seen Giroux, Couts, and Schenn produce at lower rates. I notice you can't refute that, so you resort to that nonsense. You'll do better if you attempt to understand the situation and make arguments that account for all factors instead of pushing an agenda and ignoring everything inconvenient to you.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Some kids get a trophy when they should have been weightlifting.

CAN-RUS-3388-150517-VP.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You'll do better if you attempt to understand the situation and make arguments that account for all factors instead of pushing an agenda and ignoring everything inconvenient to you.

When the facts get too inconvenient he just runs away and hides for months. :snide:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
22 points in 109 games is a pile of something. :laugh:

4515205247_9667c85dde.jpg

Yeah, I don't know how anybody can look at those three having their ES production tanked, playing the same position as each other, and think it's proof that all three suddenly suck now and leaving it at that without looking for a deeper answer or reason. I find it hard to believe all three, at the same position, just magically and coincidentally regressed to 35 year old time-to-consider-retirement levels. Fortunately, it's easy to find answers by looking at how the team plays and what they're trying to do and how that affects them at their position.

Incidentally, considering how often Ghost worked with his centers to generate offense, it shouldn't be a surprise he has seen such a sharp regression too. Surely he isn't playing as well individually (hit the net please), but he isn't playing so much worse on his own to fully account for his dip.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I'd say Ghost and MDZ going south has hurt this offense more than Provorov arriving has helped it. And Streit skating in slow motion.

We have some really bad defensemen out there on regular shifts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad