Post-Game Talk: #56: Flyers at Devils, Tuesday, February 16, 2016

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
If we can deal Streit for a pick Mac's contract doesn't look as bad and he should be here full time next year.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
The one game I didn't care about missing and the Flyers win 6 - 3. Now I need to find a way to watch it without that other streaming site.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Wiki edits are always amusing if you can catch them before a revert.

lqs3bUH.jpg

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton will be fine. He has a great shot and some good tools. Just needs a little time to get it together. Cousins looks like a keeper on the third line.

Get back in couts!

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Ah man, mad I missed this one. Looks like our big guys came through, happy for Cousins on his goal, and of course, the unstoppable Ghost.

What were the lines this game?

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
A win is cool but with that win and a shake up of lines and coots coming back ahead of schedule, did we once again lose the schenn/coots combo we have all longed for? I'm fine with a for now situation with laughon struggling and no real depth outside our 1st line and schenn, but when coots returns it needs to go back to what it was. Maybe replace vdv with laughton

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
And a great pass to setup Cousins.

First he hit Schneider dead center in the chest from 6 feet away, then made the nice pass over to Cousins. Yes - Umberger still sucks.

I have never been an elite level hockey player by any stretch, but I cannot understand how some NHL players just cannot seem to miss the goalie's chest. SEE THE NET ffs.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
First he hit Schneider dead center in the chest from 6 feet away, then made the nice pass over to Cousins. Yes - Umberger still sucks.

I have never been an elite level hockey player by any stretch, but I cannot understand how some NHL players just cannot seem to miss the goalie's chest. SEE THE NET ffs.

Even NHL players are at the mercy of the puck. Most will tell you they just hit it as best they can and hope it goes in. Theres so little time to react, you can aim it but theres so many factors at play. How the puck is situated, how much velocity the puck has and what direction its going, how the stick hits it and where on the blade, etc. Have you ever played billiards, thought you had an easy slam dunk pocket and you still miss? I know, these are professionals paid millions of dollars to be among the best in the world, but its still a really really hard game to play. Except for Ghost, its easy for him.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Even NHL players are at the mercy of the puck. Most will tell you they just hit it as best they can and hope it goes in. Theres so little time to react, you can aim it but theres so many factors at play. How the puck is situated, how much velocity the puck has and what direction its going, how the stick hits it and where on the blade, etc. Have you ever played billiards, thought you had an easy slam dunk pocket and you still miss? I know, these are professionals paid millions of dollars to be among the best in the world, but its still a really really hard game to play. Except for Ghost, its easy for him.

I really want to see him in the accuracy and the slapshot competition next year.

He's accurate, has an insanely quick release and can still somehow get a ton of power on practically every shot. It would definitely be interesting to see what he can do in that sort of a controlled situation.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Don't know why we would be arguing about MacD & Manning... on the better teams in the league they are the #6/7 defenders. MacD could possibly be a #5. That being said he is overpaid and for too long. That's a fact no one can dispute. And for a team like the Flyers, having someone like that doesn't help us. Having someone like Manning also doesnt help us. They are spot fillers till the team can redo the defense.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
No hearing for Gudas apparently. The beats are starting to get like a bunch of angry main boarders with Gudas escaping supplemental discipline. :laugh:

Not all. From Bill Meltzer:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...Flyers-Over-Devils-6-3-Flyers-Alumni/45/74819

Flyers defenseman Radko Gudas, who has put himself in the crosshairs of NHL officials, was tossed out of the game on a match penalty at 8:10 of the first period as he bumped Bobby Farnham at the blueline. Farnham gave it some salesmanship and it was hardly a violent play but it was enough to draw a reputation call as referee Greg Kimmerly ejected the Czech blueliner for a head shot. Had it been most any other player, it would more likely have been a simple two minute interference minor. Nevertheless, it was a silly play by Gudas with the puck nowhere nearby.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nope, I go down to Philly all the time and like the Flyers and their fans. They are one of the only NHL teams that doesn't put me in a coma.

You're right. I have seen you on the Sixers thread if i'm not mistaken.

I still disagree on the Gudas-Farnham situation though. No head contact. Bad call giving a match penalty. Interference at worst.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
What an embarassing flop. Wow. Should have just been 2 mins for embellishment.

What's worse is the devils announcers trying to defend this guy. "there's a nerve around there" yeah bs. He had that moment of hesitation to process it and jump up in the air like he got shot. Lookout decaprio, blandisi might steal the oscar from you this year.

the only Monarchs game I went to they called diving as the only penalty. ECHL refs seem to call it often. Not sure why they dont at the NHL level. that was ridiculously bad.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was a dumb play by Gudas, but Farnham should have been hit with an embellishment penalty, Gudas basically butt checked him, it wasn't a very hard hit and at most he should have fallen down and gotten right back up. I've hit people harder going through revolving doors!

There is no comparison between Cousins, Weal and Akeson. Cousins is a smaller guy with good quicks and decent but not great speed, but watching Cousins along the boards, he has the fire to get the puck and play in crowds - and that's what the other two lacked. If I'm scouting players, I don't care how good they look in open ice, it's how they play in crowds that matter - because against better teams and in the playoffs, there's always going to be someone forechecking or a defender in your face. Otherwise just go to the figure skating championship and sign the bigger guys.

I think some of it is fire, some of it is innate strength, and a lot of it is ice vision and hand to eye coordination to recover when the puck is knocked off your stick. V does it with size and strength, as does Raffl, along with tenacity (he may not be able to finish but he's great at keeping the puck in the offensive zone). Giroux does it with great hand quickness, and that's the ticket for guys like Cousins, Leier and Konecny.

Ghost has a great wrist shot, he should use it more and the slapshot less. Frankly, the number of NHL players who can actually aim a slapshot can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand - how often do you see someone windup and fire it past the net and up the boards on the other side to set up a 2 on 1 for the opposing team? A great wrist shot is a killer, especially because Ghost combines a very quick release and accuracy - it's like baseball, everyone can hit a 95 MPH fastball these days, but not a killer slider - goalie can stop slapshots they can time and see, but not a quick wrist shot that is screened by their own defender (i.e. with a quick release, guys like Ghost can fire as soon as the path is clear and before the goalie can pick up the shooting motion - that half second it takes for the goalie to pick up the shot is more effective than a 100 MPH slap shot).

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I am watching the Gudas hit again and again. What a stupid play on his part, eh. Just wondering, does Farnham have at least one eye? I mean, not like Gudas is 2ft3. You see a truck coming your way, what do you do - keep chasing the car (Schultz)?

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
went to this game last night
View attachment 87911
was amused by the ungodly amount of whining by the devils fans around me, particularly as to #28-a couple of devs fans were *****ing about cloud being "one of the biggest whiners in the league," etc.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I am watching the Gudas hit again and again. What a stupid play on his part, eh. Just wondering, does Farnham have at least one eye? I mean, not like Gudas is 2ft3. You see a truck coming your way, what do you do - keep chasing the car (Schultz)?

The more I watch it, the more I picture Gudas casually swatting a fly off of Schultz's shoulder.

Still dumb, but funny in a way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad