Post-Game Talk: #56 | FLYERS 4 at Golden Knights 1 | Sun., Feb. 11 2018, 8:00 pm ET

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
This also isn't a Flyers-specific phenomenon- every fanbase gushes over their good players and rags on their crappier ones.
Point taken.

I’m not sure what the point of repeating the same names over and over again is, but I get what you’re saying.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
You are so full of ****.

Go back and look at the comments in that GDT after that goal was scored.

Here are a few from right after the goal.
Like I said, I have seen worse when Hagg shoots a puck wide.

You’re the only one who called it like it was.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
GDT is immediate, but notice how those comments are often absent from the post-game thread.
There seems to be selective amnesia.

I hold the best players to higher standards, I don't expect that much from 4th line players or 3rd pair defensemen.
For one thing, most of them are fungible, and will soon be gone.
That’s exactly right.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hagg struggles to hit the net or even get close to it to potentially create a rebound nonetheless actually converting one himself.

Gudas mindlessly fires shots too but his shot is so much better than Hagg’s. It’s always got some zip on it & keeps it low so he can get it towards the net.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Is Hagg gonna be your new Randy Jones? I just want to prepare my soul if so.
Hagg isn’t even near the same class as Randy.

F89F8680-69F8-40BA-BBF2-F9ACCD937550.jpeg

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hagg has a Carle-like shot, not in it being impossibly weak, but in its complete lack of effectiveness. A dman who can't threaten with his shot at all is a liability in the NHL; even if he's good in other areas. It neuters pretty much a quadrant of the offensive zone. Why Hakstol thinks Hagg is a dman who should be featured in a "dmen must be active!" system is beyond baffling.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Hagg has a Carle-like shot, not in it being impossibly weak, but in its complete lack of effectiveness. A dman who can't threaten with his shot at all is a liability in the NHL; even if he's good in other areas. It neuters pretty much a quadrant of the offensive zone. Why Hakstol thinks Hagg is a dman who should be featured in a "dmen must be active!" system is beyond baffling.

add it to the pile...

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Not a strong shot but at least Hägg seems to see the shooting lanes to get it to the net unlike Manning who likes to aim at shinpads, skates and whatever he can find. :laugh:

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
His shot sucks but Hagg just looks utterly clueless in the offensive zone. He really has no sense of purpose with anything he does with the puck. Often times he just innocently dumps it to the corner if he’s not firing a shot off. His lack of aggressiveness plays a hand in his inability to really hold his line in that zone too.

This has been his one of his knocks since his draft -- lack of aggression. He's a very 'passive' player... yes he leads the league in hits, but honestly it's not that difficult to hit someone, you just run into them. That's a different kind of aggression to which I'm referring.

It's a shame the way he's developed because around his draft year, he was deemed to have good puck skills and mobility. I feel as though he does not want to make a mistake, or even put himself in a position to make a mistake. That's probably part coach and part personality.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
This has been his one of his knocks since his draft -- lack of aggression. He's a very 'passive' player... yes he leads the league in hits, but honestly it's not that difficult to hit someone, you just run into them. That's a different kind of aggression to which I'm referring.

It's a shame the way he's developed because around his draft year, he was deemed to have good puck skills and mobility. I feel as though he does not want to make a mistake, or even put himself in a position to make a mistake. That's probably part coach and part personality.
I don’t think it has anything to do with development. When he first came over, his Swedish coach said he could eventually be a 3rd pair defenseman in the NHL. That’s pretty much what he is.

I think the whole concept of development is crap in the NHL. It’s a league where 18-19 year olds can compete and thrive against 10 year vets straight out of juniors with no “development”. How much is it the players brains figuring it out in time with experience and a body’s natural maturity versus anything the team actually dose?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a league where a SELECT group of 18-19 year olds can compete, those with exceptional talent and/or instincts.
The problem is confusing outliers with the norm. The ones who play early are on the end of a long, thin tail.
The guys who play at a young age are mostly top ten picks, some 11-20 picks, and a few exceptions from the rest of the draft in the right place at the right time.

MOST players need years of seasoning because they are neither exceptional talents or lack exceptional instincts.

Provorov #7, Patrick #2, Konecny #24, Couts #8. See a pattern?

Reactions: marcsson68

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I don’t think it has anything to do with development. When he first came over, his Swedish coach said he could eventually be a 3rd pair defenseman in the NHL. That’s pretty much what he is.

I think the whole concept of development is crap in the NHL. It’s a league where 18-19 year olds can compete and thrive against 10 year vets straight out of juniors with no “development”. How much is it the players brains figuring it out in time with experience and a body’s natural maturity versus anything the team actually dose?

I'm not quite sure I understand you're exact point, but I think it is a pretty safe bet to say that an organization has something to do with development of players. Yes, it's up to the player to perform, but he needs to be put into a position to be successful by their organization.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Never? That's a real 'wow' if so.

Here is the official word based on zero PIMs by Flyers' opponents

The game marked just the eighth time in Flyers history that their opponent did not commit a single penalty. The list:

Vegas Golden Knights 2018/02/11 @VGS
Ottawa Senators 2006/11/22 @ PHI
Ottawa Senators 2002/01/22 @ PHI
Los Angeles Kings 1978/04/01 vs PHI
Minnesota North Stars 1976/12/14 vs PHI
Minnesota North Stars 1976/12/01 vs PHI
Montréal Canadiens 1972/02/19 vs PHI
Los Angeles Kings 1967/12/08 vs PHI​

From what I can tell, the prior fewest PIMs combined was 2 in the December 8, 1967 game. However, the NHL box score lists Joe Watson with two holding penalties at the same time which could be an error since such wire service entries weren't as detailed as today (two holding penalties on the same play seems beyond unusual).

If the previous low wasn't 2, the other games in which 4 PIMs was the low occurred in games played on December 1, 1976 (Minnesota North Stars) and January 22, 2002 (Ottawa).... and maybe, but I doubt it, that 1967 game against Los Angeles.

From what I see (unofficially), there have been three games in which the Flyers recorded zero PIMs:
at St. Louis in 1979 (Blues 2 PIMs)
vs. Phoenix in 2000 (Coyotes 10 PIMs)
vs. NY Rangers in 2011 (Rangers 6 PIMs)​

To clarify all this minutia:
2 PIMs in a game involving the Flyers has happened either two or three times:
at Vegas Golden Knights, February 11, 2018 (Flyers 2, Vegas 0)
vs. St. Louis Blues, March 18, 1979 (Flyers 0, St. Louis 2)
(probably) vs. Los Angeles Kings, December 8, 1967 (Flyers 2, Los Angeles 0)
So, yes, based on my previous comment there has never been a game in which the Flyers and opponent played penalty-free.

(edited to hopefully avoid confusion).

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hagg-MacDonald are as bad as the Krajicek-Parent-Bartulis triumvirate of suck in 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad