Post-Game Talk: #56 | FLYERS 4 at Golden Knights 1 | Sun., Feb. 11 2018, 8:00 pm ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Remember that rough month Elliott had?

Bryzgalov was that (but a little worse), all the time except for one stretch in March where he was good for 3 weeks.

Reactions: Nizzle

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't get the Elliot / Neuvy hate. They both seem to be able to play games well enough for the team to win and both of them are locked in on decent contracts. Do people routinely ignore how much contract details matter or just don't understand it?

Last edited:

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
A player who brings far less to the table will be more aggravating than someone who brings a ton.
I understand, but I find the reverse to be true.

A third pairing defenseman throwing a muffin at the net is infinitely less remarkable than a Norris candidate getting turnstiled by a 32 year old man, like an overcooked steak at Texas Roadhouse vs the same at Ruth’s Chris.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

A third pairing defenseman throwing a muffin at the net is infinitely less remarkable than a Norris candidate getting turnstiled by a 32 year old man, like an overcooked steak at Texas Roadhouse vs the same at Ruth’s Chris.

That depends on if the 3rd pairing dman is being played like a 3rd pairing dman, or if he's playing in place of superior talent in a bigger role than he deserves.

The former hasn't been the case.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA

I see your point but it's generally safe to assume that the Norris contender's mistakes will be few and far between and that when he does mess up, he'll make up for it later on. Whereas when the third pair dman not only messes up, but like Beef said, is playing in a role way above his head, you know he's probably got more crummy tricks up his sleeve.

When Ghost and Provy mess up, people here generally acknowledge that they made a mistake but don't go as hard because history has shown us that their positives far outweigh their negatives and they'll probably make some great plays later on to counteract their errors.

Whereas when Mac, Manning, etc mess up, the best you can really hope for is that it doesn't get much worse for them than it already is in that particular game.

Sometimes the scapegoating does go a little far, but it should be easier to see why some guys get more passes than others from the fans on here. This also isn't a Flyers-specific phenomenon- every fanbase gushes over their good players and rags on their crappier ones.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Here’s another from just a few weeks ago:

View attachment 97487

You are so full of shit.

Go back and look at the comments in that GDT after that goal was scored.

Here are a few from right after the goal.

Ghost has been fantastic lately defensively... but that was very poorly played. He was still in two minds whether to try and take the pass or not but Couts was already there.
That was weak. Gostisbehere and Neuvirth should be embarrassed
fooled Ghost. Nice move
Ghost got filthed..
Absolutely unacceptable trash D by Ghost.
Ghost got embarrassed there. Yikes.

Last edited:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
You are so ****ing full of ****.

We tried this.

First he claimed he didn't see what we were talking about. Then, when another poster gave examples of specific posts that criticized Ghost, he deflected and claimed that Hagg gets 5x as much criticism for his mistakes.

The last few pages have really just been going around in circles tbh.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We tried this.

First he claimed he didn't see what we were talking about. Then, when another poster gave examples of specific posts that criticized Ghost, he deflected and claimed that Hagg gets 5x as much criticism for his mistakes.

The last few pages have really just been going around in circles tbh.

Thanks for the heads up. Disengaging. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That contract was brutal. Nine Years, 51 million dollars for a goalie. There's only like 3 goalies I've ever seen deserve a contract like that (Hasek, Brodeur, Roy).

It was a horrendous contract but he could have been making league minimum & the criticisms would have still been valid.

Honestly in today’s cap climate paying big money contracts even for great goalies isn’t worth it. Outside of few guys at the top & it’s not like they’re single handily carrying their teams to Stanley Cup’s. There just isn’t a huge difference in the quality of goalie the next two tiers but the price tags can be sometimes.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It was a horrendous contract but he could have been making league minimum & the criticisms would have still been valid.

Honestly in today’s cap climate paying big money contracts even for great goalies isn’t worth it. Outside of few guys at the top & it’s not like they’re single handily carrying their teams to Stanley Cup’s. There just isn’t a huge difference in the quality of goalie the next two tiers but the price tags can be sometimes.

Sure no doubt. Just wanted to reflect on how bad of a move it was. It is one of the thing I really do like about Hextall, he's acknowledged how important the aspect of contracts are.

I do think if he was making league minimum it would have been an easier pill to swallow but fortunately the buyout came just in time.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
Remember that rough month Elliott had?

Bryzgalov was that (but a little worse), all the time except for one stretch in March where he was good for 3 weeks.
bryz was shit for the yotes too...except he had a couple amazing games in the playoffs against detroit. honestly wanted so badly for him to be the goalie the flyers thought he was...and not the goalie i knew he was.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are so full of ****.

Here are a few from right after the goal.

GDT is immediate, but notice how those comments are often absent from the post-game thread.
There seems to be selective amnesia.

I hold the best players to higher standards, I don't expect that much from 4th line players or 3rd pair defensemen.
For one thing, most of them are fungible, and will soon be gone.

Reactions: JXC

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Selective amnesia...how ironic

turtle-high-five.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
GDT is immediate, but notice how those comments are often absent from the post-game thread.
There seems to be selective amnesia.

I hold the best players to higher standards, I don't expect that much from 4th line players or 3rd pair defensemen.
For one thing, most of them are fungible, and will soon be gone.
We all don't ignore the GDT while preparing a novel for the PGDT like some do.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Apparently some ignore the entire game too.

That AHL game he watched last Saturday was the first actual hockey game he has watched in about three years. He usually foregoes them in lieu of a spreadsheet with statistics on it. Statistics and mushrooms spores. And feel free to kill me now, since knowing exactly what he is doing at any one point in time, like last Saturday, is surely End of Days level ****.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
That depends on if the 3rd pairing dman is being played like a 3rd pairing dman, or if he's playing in place of superior talent in a bigger role than he deserves.

The former hasn't been the case.

What superior talent? Sanheim?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad