GDT: #56 – Canucks at Sabres – Sun Feb 12, 7:30PM ET – MSG-B

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Oh man, the narratives people try to create to justify the team laying a turd. Lehner is the last person to blame for this game.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Oh man, the narratives people try to create to justify the team laying a turd. Lehner is the last person to blame for this game.

If that was good goaltending then there is no such thing as bad goaltending.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017

He loses his cool, and instead of a power play and potentially a 2 nothing lead the game is tied.

Consequently Burrows is in everyone's head the entire game.

What narrative?

Just the facts

Then apparently Lehner calls out the entire team after the game. Look in the darn mirror! I will say, to Lehner's credit though, that he has been much better this year with his temperament. He picked a bad time to regress however. Oh well, next year

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

It's not his fault. He gave up a bad goal. But he shouldn't have played. He's faced 200+ shots in his previous five starts, it's the back end of a B2B, and you have a backup who has been beyond competent and, in fact, has posted great numbers at home. Now you go back to Lehner in Ottawa for his third start in four nights and fourth start in six nights.

The way the schedule broke for the bye, it was beyond obvious that Nilsson should get tonight's game and one of the B2B next weekend vs STL/CHI. Now we have to worry about the trickle down of overplaying the starter.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's not his fault. He gave up a bad goal. But he shouldn't have played. He's faced 200+ shots in his previous five starts, it's the back end of a B2B, and you have a backup who has been beyond competent and, in fact, has posted great numbers at home. Now you go back to Lehner in Ottawa for his third start in four nights and fourth start in six nights.

The way the schedule broke for the bye, it was beyond obvious that Nilsson should get tonight's game and one of the B2B next weekend vs STL/CHI. Now we have to worry about the trickle down of overplaying the starter.

Not to mention this is the first season Lehner is getting legit starter workload.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I literally hate this team.

Bump. I literally hate this team. Except for Sam Reinhart, because he's the only guy on the ****ing team who looks like he understands how to play ****ing hockey.

Edit: O'Reilly and Okposo, too. The rest of the team is utter garbage. Eichel is extremely talented.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Now we have to worry about the trickle down of overplaying the starter.

Well, we could just not worry and embrace the tank.

Lehner can play like whatever he wants and I don't think they're making the playoffs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It wasn't about goaltending, it was about losing your cool and creating a bad situation out of what should have been a great one. Goodness, did you see the incident?

It literally set the tone for the entire game.

Does Niilson react that way? I have no idea. All I know is that Lehner did.

If there's one thing fans should be questioning, it's where the heck were our defensemen to prevent that incident from happening in the first? Yeah I saw the incident. To me, it didn't have any impact at all. Unless you think Lehner was shaky because of the incident which I didn't see anything different from how he usually plays.

I think posters who think it did have an impact on the outcome on the game, are reaching for an excuse to blame the goaltending for not being "focused" on the game. That was far from the reason for this loss even if true. Even IF it was a reason, they had PLENTY of time to get that momentum back. It happened in the first.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
If there's one thing fans should be questioning, it's where the heck were our defensemen to prevent that incident from happening in the first? Yeah I saw the incident. To me, it didn't have any impact at all. Unless you think Lehner was shaky because of the incident which I didn't see anything different from how he usually plays.

I think posters who think it did have an impact on the outcome on the game, are reaching for an excuse to blame the goaltending for not being "focused" on the game. That was far from the reason for this loss even if true. Even IF it was a reason, they had PLENTY of time to get that momentum back. It happened in the first.

The smarter team won tonight. Really not hard to understand.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It wasn't about goaltending, it was about losing your cool and creating a bad situation out of what should have been a great one. Goodness, did you see the incident?

It literally set the tone for the entire game.

Does Niilson react that way? I have no idea. All I know is that Lehner did.

Of course Lehner did because he's a hot head and can't control his emotions. It's not a positive he is psycho it's a negative when it costs you games. What Burrows did wasn't a Lucic on Miller type incident. It is what a punk player like Burrows does. Like tackling him really hurt Burrows or made him regret it. Burrows was smiling because he did his job.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
The smarter team won tonight. Really not hard to understand.

Too bad the coach disagrees with you're narrative...I'm sure if no one responded the complaining about no reaction to the incident would be the narrative. Nothing about the reaction to that play is the reason the team lost the game.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Yes, the smarter and better team won tonight. That had nothing to do with the Burrows incident.

Okay, it was incredibly smart for Lehner to go nuts on Burrows after a penalty was called on Burrows already. I give up. smh

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Falk was the one who gave the Nucks a PP but don't let that get in the way of your narrative.

Right, I actually think Faulk did the right thing. Lehner was the one who escalated it unnecessarily though. Lehner stays cool, no need for Faulk to intervene.

Maybe I saw something different than you.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
No, it didn't, and 29 of the other 29 teams in this league would have the same response.

Shoddy play by our best players, poor ability to adapt to the poor ice conditions on your home ice, poor lazy penalties, and Vancouver being able to read what our guys were going to do before they did anything, turned the momentum and won Vancouver the game.

This team played horrible and didn't deserve a point, and didn't get one rightfully so.

Eichel went from his best pro game to quite possibly his worst pro game.

I personally would've liked to see Nilsson play this game, but change in goaltender would've done nothing for what was really the problem of this team. There was nobody who played well.

Would be nice to see a bit more consistency from Jack, at least in hustling and using his ridiculous stride, speed, size, and reach to make things challenging for the other team when they've got the puck if the offense isn't there. Granted, playing 5 in 7 nights is challenging (and quite frankly awful scheduling), and you can't expect a guy to go 100% all out every game, but he doesn't always seem mentally locked in to me.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Lol. I love that the only exciting part of the game was Falk defending our goalie and ****ing up Burrows. And people point that out as a negative somehow.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
This game was all about frustration. They frustrated us, and we didn't handle it well. That's about it for tonight.

Goodnight all.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Did Matt Moulson play tonight?

In other news, though it may seem impossible, Moulson is well on his way to posting even worse ES numbers than he did last season. Two more years at $5m AAV. Kill me.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Did Matt Moulson play tonight?

In other news, though it may seem impossible, Moulson is well on his way to posting even worse ES numbers than he did last season. Two more years at $5m AAV. Kill me.

He barely played but I thought he did enough good things when he was out there :dunno:

I think he can still be a somewhat effective player, but probably not on this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad