Post-Game Talk: #55 | Flyers at Maple Leafs | February 15, 2024 | Loss 3-4 (OT) | York and Couturier injury updates (Friday)

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
I'm not saying he is a bad player. I'm just don't believe we got sufficient value for what was given up. Just another disappointment for us Flyers phans. Different GM, same hosing. When was the last trade a Flyers' GM won?
The Provorov trade. Handily. Massive win.

Regarding Drysdale vs Gauthier, I tend to agree we lost value there, but Briere had one arm tied behind his back with Quitter refusing to play for us. He tried to get the 5th pick at the draft, Habs declined. Then he worked on a trade for several more months, this was probably (unfortunately) the best we were gonna do. And I think DB realized the return wasn’t gonna be great, which is why and Jonesy tried a last ditch effort at the WJC to meet with him.

The real question when it comes to that trade is WHY did Quitter want out. Was it something DB and Jonesy did? Was it something Fletcher did? Was it that he had a great relationship with Fletcher and we dumped him? Was it Torts?

I tend to think our management must’ve done something to turn him off, and if that’s the case the blame for lost value is completely on them, but we don’t know for sure.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
The Provorov trade. Handily. Massive win.

Regarding Drysdale vs Gauthier, I tend to agree we lost value there, but Briere had one arm tied behind his back with Quitter refusing to play for us. He tried to get the 5th pick at the draft, Habs declined. Then he worked on a trade for several more months, this was probably (unfortunately) the best we were gonna do. And I think DB realized the return wasn’t gonna be great, which is why and Jonesy tried a last ditch effort at the WJC to meet with him.

The real question when it comes to that trade is WHY did Quitter want out. Was it something DB and Jonesy did? Was it something Fletcher did? Was it that he had a great relationship with Fletcher and we dumped him? Was it Torts?

I tend to think our management must’ve done something to turn him off, and if that’s the case the blame for lost value is completely on them, but we don’t know for sure.
I believe this also, which means he doesn't get the "hands tied" mulligan as he created the situation.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
I believe this also, which means he doesn't get the "hands tied" mulligan as he created the situation.
If it’s something he did, for sure. It’s also possible it’s something someone else in the organization did, perhaps before DB was named GM and then you can’t blame him.

I really like DB and I think he’s a shrewd GM, but you’d have to have your head buried in the sand to not be concerned about some other components of our front office. I think he’s fighting a bit of an uphill battle and I don’t believe he has final authority on things like firing the coach for example.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If it’s something he did, for sure. It’s also possible it’s something someone else in the organization did, perhaps before DB was named GM and then you can’t blame him.

I really like DB and I think he’s a shrewd GM, but you’d have to have your head buried in the sand to not be concerned about some other components of our front office. I think he’s fighting a bit of an uphill battle and I don’t believe he has final authority on things like firing the coach for example.

I think that's extremely obvious, given that he was hired after the coach and the organization seems to have stipulated that keeping the coach around was part of the whole deal to get the job. Hence the tiny candidate pool and internal hires.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Flyers are king of the "mediocres". Truth is they cannot hang with a team that has elite talent, but that is something everyone here knows. So why can't management see this?
The Flyers were the better team for the first 30 minutes and was giving Toronto no space at all. Matthews took advantage of some bad mistakes in the 2nd period and that definitely did rattle the team. Not many guys can put that puck where Matthews did on the PP. Flyers showed what kind of team they are pushing for the 2 goals to tie it.
The Flyers have beat some damn good teams this season.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Is it not evident that no matter how much you block shots, bang in your body into someone else in the corner, make a decent pass, if you do not have at least ONE player who can approach the lethality of a Matthews , what is the point? I am not indifferent, hardly, but the disparity between talent levels IS astonishing. Or I am making something out of nothing?

I was on a scrappy Little League team, but we lost to go to the finals because we could not hit the long ball, nor for that matter, any pitcher with a more or less curve-ball. I did make it to Babe Ruth, but eventually girls got in the way of my baseball career.....haha. Oh wait it was the slider that did me in.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Briere said he had a contract ready for Cutter.

He also said it was Cutter who told the Flyers he was returning to college, not the Flyers who told him to go back.

Also, Jones said he first learned of Cutter not wanting to sign when he was still broadcasting, & Briere said Cutter changed his mind about being a Flyer just “a few months” after the draft.

I know people are eager to blame management & not the player, but it seems like Cutter is an egotistical dick who simply told the Flyers what they wanted to hear at the draft so he’d get picked as high as possible. And then decided to force his way to another franchise he preferred.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Not saying it's true, but Scott Hartnell was on Toronto sports radio this morning. He said that from what he has learned, Cutter's reason was that someone, maybe more than one person, in the organization told him that he would have to earn a full-time spot on the Flyers, he would not be granted one. The coaching staff might determine that he needed to spend some time in Lehigh Valley in the AHL to learn the pro game.

Allegedly, that is the reason he told the Flyers he didn't want to sign there: he thinks he's ready and doesn't need to ride the buses. I don't know if that's an official story, but it also feeds into Tort's comments that it's a dumb league that lets young players run amok instead of putting in their time, respecting veterans, etc.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Not saying it's true, but Scott Hartnell was on Toronto sports radio this morning. He said that from what he has learned, Cutter's reason was that someone, maybe more than one person, in the organization told him that he would have to earn a full-time spot on the Flyers, he would not be granted one. The coaching staff might determine that he needed to spend some time in Lehigh Valley in the AHL to learn the pro game.

Allegedly, that is the reason he told the Flyers he didn't want to sign there: he thinks he's ready and doesn't need to ride the buses. I don't know if that's an official story, but it also feeds into Tort's comments that it's a dumb league that lets young players run amok instead of putting in their time, respecting veterans, etc.

The minute Scott Hartnell.

Or anyone from the Flyers podcast/media sphere dares to say something negative about Jones, and this new “era” of the Flyers.

They will have a little credibility.

He might be right.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Briere said he had a contract ready for Cutter.

He also said it was Cutter who told the Flyers he was returning to college, not the Flyers who told him to go back.

Also, Jones said he first learned of Cutter not wanting to sign when he was still broadcasting, & Briere said Cutter changed his mind about being a Flyer just “a few months” after the draft.

I know people are eager to blame management & not the player, but it seems like Cutter is an egotistical dick who simply told the Flyers what they wanted to hear at the draft so he’d get picked as high as possible. And then decided to force his way to another franchise he preferred.
or maybe he wanted to not waste his career playing fr a Org. not going anywere 50 years out from its last cup..

but yea maybe hes just a dick.

🤣

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
or maybe he wanted to not waste his career playing fr a Org. not going anywere 50 years out from its last cup..

but yea maybe hes just a dick.

🤣
If he didn't want to play for the Flyers, he should have told them before the draft instead of blowing smoke up their asses, saying he was born to be a Flyer, and then telling them a few months later he wasn't going to sign.

He's a world-class d-bag.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers were the better team for the first 30 minutes and was giving Toronto no space at all. Matthews took advantage of some bad mistakes in the 2nd period and that definitely did rattle the team. Not many guys can put that puck where Matthews did on the PP. Flyers showed what kind of team they are pushing for the 2 goals to tie it.
The Flyers have beat some damn good teams this season.

It is true that there have been some good wins against good teams, but Toronto has been shattered by injuries this year and Samsonov is an unattractive buttcheek, so this is one I would hang an asterisk on. I am uncertain the Flyers tested Samsonov hard enough.

Very entertaining, though. And that's the point. This is my favorite run of hockey in a while.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

My viewings of Cutter have always screamed of him being a guy who needs a transition period against better goalies and defenders to figure out that shooting from the ISS works in college, but likely not higher. If Anaheim drops him right into the NHL his brain-gears could grind pretty hard. He'll either learn to be more open minded and adapt, or be in for a shock.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
My viewings of Cutter have always screamed of him being a guy who needs a transition period against better goalies and defenders to figure out that shooting from the ISS works in college, but likely not higher. If Anaheim drops him right into the NHL his brain-gears could grind pretty hard. He'll either learn to be more open minded and adapt, or be in for a shock.
If comes into Anaheim cocky and entitled it start poorly for him. We’ll see. At any rate, Drysdale is pretty good already.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019

Transitioning in the thread of the current American goal scorer to the future all time American goal scorer is very positive!

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia

If that was the case, I’d say it was pretty foolish / short sighted of Flyers management to not agree to this in what was supposed to be the first year of a rebuild and fielding a team that wasn’t supposed to be a playoff contender.

Tell him whatever is necessary to get his name signed on that ELC and then take it from there.

If after the first 10-20 games in the NHL, he looks lost and isn’t putting up points, then you can always revisit the conversation. It doesn’t benefit anyone to have him looking like a bust, so perhaps at that point he and his people would be more amenable to some time in the AHL.

Or he might be great from the jump and you never even need to have that convo.

Either way, tell him whatever it takes to get that signed ELC.

If that’s the reason CG soured on us, then Briere messed up.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

On the Sirius Radio NHL channel today they played a cut from Tortorella’s press conference yesterday in Toronto. Torts talked about how the games has changed since he started coaching. He got into how some of the players coming into the game today were not into paying dues to get PT; had no respect for the ways of the past and the bases on which the game has been built. The hosts of the show felt that Torts was specifically talking about one player here-Gauthier.
There’s bad blood between the Flyers and Gauthier that is going to follow him for his entire career. He’d better be a great player because the Flyers have put a stain on him for the entire league to see. He may well succeed in the sport but the Flyers have put some major mines in his career path.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
If that was the case, I’d say it was pretty foolish / short sighted of Flyers management to not agree to this in what was supposed to be the first year of a rebuild and fielding a team that wasn’t supposed to be a playoff contender.

Tell him whatever is necessary to get his name signed on that ELC and then take it from there.

If after the first 10-20 games in the NHL, he looks lost and isn’t putting up points, then you can always revisit the conversation. It doesn’t benefit anyone to have him looking like a bust, so perhaps at that point he and his people would be more amenable to some time in the AHL.

Or he might be great from the jump and you never even need to have that convo.

Either way, tell him whatever it takes to get that signed ELC.

If that’s the reason CG soured on us, then Briere messed up.
They could start with a lie, but that would not be a great start.

Reactions: renberg

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
They could start with a lie, but that would not be a great start.
DB lies pretty much every day. Or at least “omits” the truth. That’s the job of a GM.

I can’t even call this a full blown lie. If you guarantee someone playing time off the rip, give him said playing time and then he looks terrible, forcing you to reevaluate well they hey that’s on the player. And if the player gets pissed then he’s a bad apple.

But you absolutely guarantee him the roster spot / playing time out of camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad