Post-Game Talk: #55| FLYERS at Blue Jackets | Fri., Feb. 13, 2015

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Aw man, do we haaaave to argue over which of MacD, Gross, or CC is better?? Does it really matter which turd smells the best??

Like, come on guys, i know these are dark times for this team, but the idea of that conversation happening depresses me.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Can I just mention how much it hurt last night to see Read, Umberger, Lecavalier, and Colaiacavo on the 2nd PP unit last night? All on the same unit, over Couts and Laughton. Two players, who are not only better than all of those listed, but who need the PP time to develop their game.

Not to mention that the only time when our PP2 looked good was when Laughton and Couts were on it over #40.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Aw man, do we haaaave to argue over which of MacD, Gross, or CC is better?? Does it really matter which turd smells the best??

Like, come on guys, i know these are dark times for this team, but the idea of that conversation happening depresses me.

It's important to determine whether or not on his worst day Colaiacovo is even with MacDonald (since he is), because one guy has a contract that is more than 30x more than the other guy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Going back to what someone said in the GDT --

Simmonds has improved his skating, I agree.

Yeah, I think it was discussed earlier in the season too. I don't think he always uses it, for some stretches. Like he forgets he has more tools than straight-line speed now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's important to determine whether or not on his worst day Colaiacovo is even with MacDonald (since he is), because one guy has a contract that is more than 30x more than the other guy.

On his worst day Colaiacovo will give up a breakaway goal thru terrible positioning, and he's so bad he managed to have that worst day twice in the same week in January against NYI and Vancouver. He gets the softest minutes on the team and not many of them, and still has an extended highlight reel of defensive gaffes.

But overrating bad, backup players is your thing. Less than a year ago you were telling us that the Flyers rushed into signng Mason's extension because he was only marginally better than Emery.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
well there was a reason CC was sitting at home for so long. The dude sucks. Comparing Macdonald to him is a bit unfair even tho we all know Macdonald's faults as a player and how much his contract sucks.
this team has won 23 of 56 games and are somehow only 7 points out of a playoff spot. even with that folks are kidding themselves if they think this is a playoff team.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
On his worst day Colaiacovo will give up a breakaway goal thru terrible positioning, and he's so bad he managed to have that worst day twice in the same week in January against NYI and Vancouver. He gets the softest minutes on the team and not many of them, and still has an extended highlight reel of defensive gaffes.

But overrating bad, backup players is your thing. Less than a year ago you were telling us that the Flyers rushed into signng Mason's extension because he was only marginally better than Emery.

They did rush. They did not have to do that. Steve Mason's save percentage after December 7 was not at a level where you should be willing to commit over $12M for 3 years. It should have been 2 years $5M. Everyone rode his first two months. It was a huge risk. Had they waited and possibly (read: possibly) saved some money, they would have had a few extra dollars to bring in a better backup in case Mason ran into injury problems (since Mason has run into injury problems). Nobody wants to talk about that, not really a reason to, but it's still true.

Luckily, however, since I am a proponent of evidence, the evidence shows that Mason has been a far better goaltender this year than he was last year, so for now that it not a worry unless he continues to have injury issues. Analyzing goaltending holds a high amount of variance and thus is unpredictable, few people will argue otherwise. This year's Steve Mason could have put last year's team into the Conference Finals.

It's not "my thing" Andrew MacDonald is a bad backup player who I would have never given a $30M contract to, Zac Rinaldo would be shot into the sun, Grossman would likewise gone, and Ray Emery still would be someone else's backup goaltender.

well there was a reason CC was sitting at home for so long. The dude sucks. Comparing Macdonald to him is a bit unfair even tho we all know Macdonald's faults as a player and how much his contract sucks.
this team has won 23 of 56 games and are somehow only 7 points out of a playoff spot. even with that folks are kidding themselves if they think this is a playoff team.

Their PDO is something like 105 over this 5-0-3 stretch. With 2 games against Buffalo this week, there remains only false hope to be had.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don't care if we don't belong I always want to make the playoffs. Berube never doing anything other than going with 4 lines in any situation is mind boggling. Had two points that we really needed taken away.

Vinny can't keep possession no matter what

Read and umberger are useless.

Schenn and the rest of the D are just so horrendous. The coverage and play in general shows how much of a **** show this D corp is.

G and Jake should be double shifted. They need more time on the ice away from top checkers. Especially on the road. This is not rocket science.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Everything Berube says (when he does speak instead of stoic staring) either involves the size of players or vague comments about X player not competing hard enough.

Can I just mention how much it hurt last night to see Read, Umberger, Lecavalier, and Colaiacavo on the 2nd PP unit last night? All on the same unit, over Couts and Laughton. Two players, who are not only better than all of those listed, but who need the PP time to develop their game.

Not to mention that the only time when our PP2 looked good was when Laughton and Couts were on it over #40.

This is the quintessential example of why Berube is god awful and it's why I don't pay attention to anyone who gives excuses for him anymore.

The OT net front presence situation was ridiculous and terrible and the players deserve some blame for that, but Berube is the one who gets to run the practices and preach what kind of play he wants from the players (which might be part of why we so consistently leave the front of the net open), Berube is the one who players inferior players over superior ones which ruins things like our 2nd PP unit and stops us from winning games in regulation sometimes, Berube is the one who puts CC out in the middle of OT this game or Lecavalier out in the middle of OT against Montreal.

I don't care much at this point who does what on what play because at this point everything bad about this team that can't be faulted to Homer (although, Berube was hired by Homer, but nevertheless) everything that happens is either Berube's fault or impossible to gauge if Berube has fault in it (or how much). For instance, benching Gustafsson all of last season is obviously his fault. Playing Lecavalier as much as he does in as favorable starts as he does is his fault obviously. Stuff like this OT goal or the PK, I have no idea how much of it is Berube just preaching insanely idiotic things in practice (or wasting practices altogether).

It honestly feels shameful having Berube as the coach still.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
As far as calling out guys like G and Jake, it can only help their cause. It may not be a long term good idea but he won't be here next year anyway.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
As far as calling out guys like G and Jake, it can only help their cause. It may not be a long term good idea but he won't be here next year anyway.

From Meltzer's blog:
Voracek and Giroux have now been on the ice together for just one Flyers' even strength goal since the Christmas break -- a stretch of 21 games. They have, of course, combined for quite a few power play goals in that time -- including setting up Simmonds' rebound goal in this game -- but they have not been effective together at even strength.

Pretty ugly to have only 1 ES goal for in 21 games. Very, very ugly in fact.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
From Meltzer's blog:
Voracek and Giroux have now been on the ice together for just one Flyers' even strength goal since the Christmas break -- a stretch of 21 games. They have, of course, combined for quite a few power play goals in that time -- including setting up Simmonds' rebound goal in this game -- but they have not been effective together at even strength.

Pretty ugly to have only 1 ES goal for in 21 games. Very, very ugly in fact.
It's not just G and Voracek; Schenn hasn't been setting the world on fire at ES on that line either. Schenn's play is too tentative. He looks like what he is-a center learning to play wing in the NHL. The team needs some other player to be the top line LW.
In Schenn's defense, it's not his best position. However with Berube, any line can be changed at any moment. The same goes with the defensive pairings. Berube hasn't even got close to the idea of keeping groups of five together to bring real unity of play. It's been a bad job from behind the bench that is the main cause of this team's dysfunction.

Mike2000z28

Dec 13, 2009
Philly, now montreal
thats crazy when u stop n think about it

It is crazy just like this team. I just feel since it does start with the D and they are checking him like crazy it will be a handicap until they are forced to be checking other people or other lines. When you look at our lineup you only see G and Jake and possibly simmonds although more on the PP he is watched. If you don't have a decent winger it is a 3 on 2 in the offensive zone almost all the time so yeah in this league where the great and average players aren't as far apart as people think it becomes a big problem. We just don't play with cohesiveness like other teams do and other top lines. It is a turnstile on that winger position which is a joke in itself.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You'd think Berube would, oh I don't know, SPLIT THEM UP AND TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad