Post-Game Talk: #55 | FLYERS (A) vs. Capitals (H) | Saturday, May 8, 2021 | Loss 2-1 (OT)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
"Dunking" on a player who missed 18 months of development time, using the worst possible stat to gauge performance in a hockey game is... definitely something one could do.

Weirdly enough, he has the same amount of points as our heart and soul 2nd liner in the last 20 games, while earning much less on the payscale.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
F1.large.jpg

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Patrick has the worst PDO in the entire league by a fairly significant margin. Like others have acknowledged, he (understandably) hasn't been great, but he's been just absurdly unlucky. The fact that people are using +/- against him is just silly. On ice SH% of 5.2% and SV% of 85%(!!!!)

Laughton on the other hand has a SV% of 95%. That might be the even more absurd number considering the goaltending we've gotten this year.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Patrick has the worst PDO in the entire league by a fairly significant margin. Like others have acknowledged, he (understandably) hasn't been great, but he's been just absurdly unlucky. The fact that people are using +/- against him is just silly. On ice SH% of 5.2% and SV% of 85%(!!!!)

Laughton on the other hand has a SV% of 95%. That might be the even more absurd number considering the goaltending we've gotten this year.

Excuse me sir, i like my facts devoid of context. Thanks.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
mark howe was talking about the flyers defense. It was on flyers inquirer I believe

I get he’s Mark Howe but.....he’s a Red Wings scout. He’s not regularly watching this team. Why should we care? The Flyers people who watch this team every game can’t even evaluate properly. Offense is beginning to look startlingly not like Myers’ game — I thought he had more flash with his tools, but mentally, he’s absolutely lost with the puck, even if systems make things more difficult. It looks like he has no plan except panic fling. He doesn’t even activate off puck much. Maybe that’s where he could improve. But with the puck? Woof.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The first season Patrick was coming back was always going to be a write off, we should be happy he's playing at all. If he is still this terrible next season then we can start worrying.

That being said, people are dumping on Laughton for not producing, and he has double the production of Patrick with none of the powerplay time.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The first season Patrick was coming back was always going to be a write off, we should be happy he's playing at all. If he is still this terrible next season then we can start worrying.

That being said, people are dumping on Laughton for not producing, and he has double the production of Patrick with none of the powerplay time.
That's from when he was still getting all that fluke luck. Since that ended he's been producing like Patrick at 5v5.

31 games, 1 goal, 3 assists.

That's while getting 6th most forward 5v5 time per game in that sample. Patrick was 13th.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Don't bother. If someone even mentions +/-, it means they already know they've lost. :laugh:

Just let them kill their own credibility and ignore them from now on.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Don't bother. If someone even mentions +/-, it means they already know they've lost. :laugh:

Just let them kill their own credibility and ignore them from now on.

Whats even funnier, is no more than 8 months ago, these same people were clamoring that the higher paid players needed to produce regardless of how well they were actually playing. You would think theyd be crucifying scooty loots now since he hasnt produced shit since his contract got signed.

Kevin Hayes Jr.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I get he’s Mark Howe but.....he’s a Red Wings scout. He’s not regularly watching this team. Why should we care? The Flyers people who watch this team every game can’t even evaluate properly. Offense is beginning to look startlingly not like Myers’ game — I thought he had more flash with his tools, but mentally, he’s absolutely lost with the puck, even if systems make things more difficult. It looks like he has no plan except panic fling. He doesn’t even activate off puck much. Maybe that’s where he could improve. But with the puck? Woof.
i agree that myers has been absolutely awful but its important to still know that the talent is there. I agreed with what he stated about myers tho. He is a 3rd/4th d on this team (that's fine) but we do need him to be much better next year. He needs to keep it simple and work on his game to where he can be effective by playing smart defense and getting pucks on net. This guy misses more than anyone I have seen on this team lol.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whats even funnier, is no more than 8 months ago, these same people were clamoring that the higher paid players needed to produce regardless of how well they were actually playing. You would think theyd be crucifying scooty loots now since he hasnt produced shit since his contract got signed.

Kevin Hayes Jr.
Well that would require honesty and consistency.

Also, remember all the meltdowns when it was pointed out that Laughton's scoring was unsustainable luck, as was made obvious by his crazy individual and on-ice shooting %'s?
And that Giroux's low goal scoring was fluke bad luck, also evidenced by his crazy low shooting %?
And how both would regress to the mean eventually?

Over the past 30 games at even strength
Giroux: 10 goals
Laughton: 1 goal
Who could have possibly guessed? Maybe they're not equals after all? :popcorn:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i agree that myers has been absolutely awful but its important to still know that the talent is there. I agreed with what he stated about myers tho. He is a 3rd/4th d on this team (that's fine) but we do need him to be much better next year. He needs to keep it simple and work on his game to where he can be effective by playing smart defense and getting pucks on net. This guy misses more than anyone I have seen on this team lol.

Myers, among many others, will be totally fine once they have a new coaching staff that isnt telling them to do the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Well that would require honesty and consistency.

Also, remember all the meltdowns when it was pointed out that Laughton's scoring was unsustainable luck, as was made obvious by his crazy individual and on-ice shooting %'s?
And that Giroux's low goal scoring was fluke bad luck, also evidenced by his crazy low shooting %?
And how both would regress to the mean eventually?

Over the past 30 games at even strength
Giroux: 10 goals
Laughton: 1 goal
Who could have possibly guessed? Maybe they're not equals after all? :popcorn:

I refuse to believe that anyone with half a mind made a conscious comparison of Laughton and Giroux. I know i saw it, so you dont have to quote it, but I'm pleading temporary insanity on their behalf.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Myers, among many others, will be totally fine once they have a new coaching staff that isnt telling them to do the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

well we wont get that anytime soon. This sucks because these young players are going to have to figure it out during key developmental years. This year proved to be an awful one for everyone but farabee. Patrick/lindblom were out for a year and haven't gained much of anything this year, Myers/hart took a step back, prov/sanheim never took a step forward

super curious how these guys respond next year. Lets hope frost doesn't have a year like patrick/lindblom where he comes back after a year off and doesn't gain in his development. We need allison/frost to come in the lineup and change things up

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
That's from when he was still getting all that fluke luck. Since that ended he's been producing like Patrick at 5v5.

31 games, 1 goal, 3 assists.

That's while getting 6th most forward 5v5 time per game in that sample. Patrick was 13th.

My post wasn't a defense of Laughton. It was to point out that Patrick with powerplay time is currently incapable of outscoring a 4th liner with no powerplay time that is also on a cold streak.

That's how bad he has been. He's at best equal to a replacement level player. Which about what should have been expected considering everything he's been through.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Patrick should have been allowed back to the minors to find his game. But we all know he would have been snapped up by some asshole GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad