Post-Game Talk: #54| STL 2 at PHI 0| Mon., Feb 6, 2017 | Konecny injury update: out 4-to-6 weeks, LBI

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Julien got fired as soon as his starter couldn't maintain at least .915 goaltending.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
You would reference the ONE time he ever gave the refs grief for incompetence in nearly 2 years.
That's all he does. Like "hey that one stretch of 5 games where AMAC wasnt absolutely horrible means that he's a decent defenseman. plus look at his even strength scoring!!", "those 5 games in the beginning of year where Read lead the team in points means he's having a strong season", ect. ect. then make a back handed insult about how dumb your post is.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And, in case anyone forgot, our boys are at .893 and .900 for the year. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Stupid Hakstol didn't think to tell them to make more saves.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Similar to the Couturier injury. Maybe they will win 10 straight again? :laugh:

Honestly, at this point in my Flyers-watching career, any injury that isn't a concussion or doesn't put a guy out for months doesn't worry me too much. I feel bad for the player, but not for myself as a fan, because I've already been thru so much worse.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do I feel like it's been "Groundhog day" around here for the last five seasons?

The problem is talent, Giroux is no longer a top center, maybe he'll bounce back next year, maybe he's getting close to 30 and this is the beginning of the end. But he'd be a 3C on most NHL teams this year.

No one else can drive the offense, Voracek is a fine complementary player (though that was an awful pass last night), the rest, just guys.

The PK is league average, the PP above average, the ES dismal.
Two years ago, under Berube, they were 22nd in goals scored.
1.82 ES goals per game, this year 1.80 ES goals per game.
Pretty much the same personnel, except for Umberger and Vinnie.
Streit and MDZ drove the defense that year.
Goalie save % was .914 that season and they still ended up with only 84 points.

Two years before that they averaged 1.93 GPG ES.
That was a team full of veterans, Hartnell, Briere, Gagne, Knuble, but G & V were PPG players and Matt Read was still a top 9 winger.
Kimmo was the only threat on defense.
.905 save %, 51% of possible points, missed the playoffs and Lav was fired the next year.

So I guess the problem is the players?

The veterans got old or were dumped for cap reasons, and there were no young players to step in, the Carter/Richards trade saved this franchise from disaster, but couldn't raise them above mediocrity.

Doesn't matter who the coach is, until the players Hextall has drafted reached the NHL, they're going to be a 80-90 point team. 95 if they get great goalie play.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I agree. It won't happen in-season.

I'd be okay with dumping Hak and having an interim coach then figuring it out this summer.

I don't think any of this is going to happen though. I expect Hextall to stand by Hak into next season, where he will eventually be ****-canned after another poor start and mismanagement of youth. By that point, Julien will be coaching a team like the Panthers and we will have limited options again..just like when we didn't go after Vigneault and ended up stuck with Berube.

As per Bill Meltzer:
Just a quick note for those who feel that a coaching change right now to hire Claude Julien --- not something that has a shot at being reality, but something that's being debated on social media -- would be a panacea. The Flyers have a 67-48-21 record under Hakstol in tenure to date. Julien in the same span was 68-54-15 in Boston with a comparable or perhaps slightly better overall roster on paper.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I've contributed to the anti-Hakstol vitriol, but in all seriousness I'd like to see the effects of replacing a couple of the assistant coaches for next season. Bring on someone who can actually scrawl out plans for a non-static PP, or a PK coach who dissuades the use of VandeVelde and Bellemare as PK1.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Why do I feel like it's been "Groundhog day" around here for the last five seasons?

The problem is talent, Giroux is no longer a top center, maybe he'll bounce back next year, maybe he's getting close to 30 and this is the beginning of the end. But he'd be a 3C on most NHL teams this year.

No one else can drive the offense, Voracek is a fine complementary player (though that was an awful pass last night), the rest, just guys.

That was a team full of veterans, Hartnell, Briere, Gagne, Knuble, but G & V were PPG players and Matt Read was still a top 9 winger.
.905 save %, 51% of possible points, missed the playoffs and Lav was fired the next year.

The veterans got old or were dumped for cap reasons, and there were no young players to step in, the Carter/Richards trade saved this franchise from disaster, but couldn't raise them above mediocrity.

Doesn't matter who the coach is, until the players Hextall has drafted reached the NHL, they're going to be a 80-90 point team. 95 if they get great goalie play.

You're delusional

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I've contributed to the anti-Hakstol vitriol, but in all seriousness I'd like to see the effects of replacing a couple of the assistant coaches for next season. Bring on someone who can actually scrawl out plans for a non-static PP, or a PK coach who dissuades the use of VandeVelde and Bellemare as PK1.

The GM needs to take care of that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just curious why Ghost continues to be a healthy scratch this season??

The coach is an idiot.

Ghost is in a serious slump and getting some terrible luck, so of course what you do when someone has little confidence is scratch them and play inferior players in his place. :shakehead

On top of that, the coach decides to play our co-worst defensemen (Manning) with Ghost (a small offensive defensemen). Manning is worse defensively and takes even more risks than Ghost so it's literally the worst match possible.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
The GM needs to take care of that.

As much as I love lappy, He needs to go. The PP has always been strong so I can't see any changes there, but the PK has been absolutely terrible for a long time now. It's got nothing to do with personnel.

Couturier and Giroux are elite PK'ers in this league, Lyubimov and Raffl also look very good a man down. So why in the world are they not regulars.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think G should be PKing outside of a few DZ draws. He already logs enough minutes.

Next year you have six PKers even if two of Couturier, Read, Simmonds, Read, Raffl, Lyubimov, Leier and Laughton are not here.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
giphy.gif

Stupid Hakstol didn't think to tell them to make more saves.

Because saves are never about poor defense thanks to the players in front of the goalie and the system being played. They are always 100% on the goaltender and save percentage is an individual stat with no outside influence from the team.

These shut-out losses at home to career backups were definitely on the goaltending.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Your account should be suspended for a month for this statement. :laugh:

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
Coaching and player issues aside, I am becoming extremely tired of this "re-build". Isn't it about time we begin to see some success or at least minor improvement? We seem to be maintaining at best but probably going backward. As much as I have been a supporter, it will soon be time to look at Hextal. IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad