Post-Game Talk: #54 | FLYERS (A) vs. Capitals (H) | Friday, May, 7 2021 | 4-2 win

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Comparing raw +/- across teams is worthless in normal scenarios, it's even more worthless with our goaltending
Biggest difference.

On-ice sv%
Laughton: .948
Patrick: .853

That'll drastically skew worthless stats like +/-.

Patrick hasn't been good, but Laughton hasn't been either. They're closer than people will admit.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Biggest difference.

On-ice sv%
Laughton: .948
Patrick: .853

That'll drastically skew worthless stats like +/-.

Patrick hasn't been good, but Laughton hasn't been either. They're closer than people will admit.

Patrick has the 11th worst 5v5 on-ice shooting % and the worst on-ice save % in the league among forwards >500 minutes. Your goal differentials will look like total shit with that. Is he blameless? No. But the worst player in the league couldn’t replicate both of those concurrently. That’s the difference between garden variety poor and unrelenting nightmare. Mentally, that’s just f***ing tough to keep playing through.

Fun fact: the 2nd and 3rd worst 5v5 on-ice save %s in the league? Couturier and Giroux. Laughton has the 8th best save % in the league among that group. That’s hockey. That or the former two are putrid defensively and Laughton is a Selke lock.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Patrick has the 11th worst 5v5 on-ice shooting % and the worst on-ice save % in the league among forwards >500 minutes. Your goal differentials will look like total shit with that. Is he blameless? No. But the worst player in the league couldn’t replicate both of those concurrently. That’s the difference between garden variety poor and unrelenting nightmare. Mentally, that’s just f***ing tough to keep playing through.

Fun fact: the 2nd and 3rd worst 5v5 on-ice save %s in the league? Couturier and Giroux. Laughton has the 8th best save % in the league among that group. That’s hockey. That or the former two are putrid defensively and Laughton is a Selke lock.
So basically, in addition to being an elite sniper and on Giroux's level offensively, he's also elite defensively? Damn... Fletcher really aced that contract, huh?

Jokes aside, yeah, Patrick hasn't been good, but most of that is that he's not producing almost anything offensively. People are going overboard when talking about how bad he's been, while simultaneously overrating Laughton based on that fluke lucky scoring to start the year. Like I said, they're way closer than most will admit.

Speaking of scoring, since some like to constantly go on about how little Patrick's produced... over the past 30 games at even strength, Laughton and Patrick have identical 0.45 points/60. Elite sniper Laughton has 0 goals and 3 assists in that time.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Anyone else really like the Sanheim-Provy pairing? I always have. They seem to compliment each other well. We need to add a d man or 2 if we want to play them together though.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
So basically, in addition to being an elite sniper and on Giroux's level offensively, he's also elite defensively? Damn... Fletcher really aced that contract, huh?

Jokes aside, yeah, Patrick hasn't been good, but most of that is that he's not producing almost anything offensively. People are going overboard when talking about how bad he's been, while simultaneously overrating Laughton based on that fluke lucky scoring to start the year. Like I said, they're way closer than most will admit.

Speaking of scoring, since some like to constantly go on about how little Patrick's produced... over the past 30 games at even strength, Laughton and Patrick have identical 0.45 points/60. Elite sniper Laughton has 0 goals and 3 assists in that time.

The best part of the last statement is that if it's true that Patrick isn't "trying" - he's playing better than Scott L who "hustles" like crazy every shift and still hasn't outproduced him over the past 30.

I think Patrick is simply out of shape. He's almost always the first Flyer on his line that is off for a line change. There's some stamina issues for sure, and understandably. In addition, it's a pretty common theme that any player that misses significant time for any reason - contract dispute, injury - whatever - starts off "hot" the first few games (likely due to adrenaline) then tapers off and has a shitty season.

I think Patrick will come back with a force next year. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
Kay I've like posted a few times here.. Does this mean I'm welcome here or something? No idea.

Thanks for the W tn. If ya beat them back to back ill chage my avatar for one day to what ever you guys want.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I saw shades of Scott Niedermayer’s game in York today. Same smarts, positioning and smooth skating. Will stand to add a bit of weight, ~10 pounds but a guy like him doesn’t need to overpower players.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Agreed. It was more pointing out the canyon between Patrick and Laughton. A gap that big is not just fluke or meaningless given it's on the same team, same games, etc...

Patrick’s confidence is completely shot to hell. He does look a little more explosive and quick at least of late, and looks like he’s finally shedding that excess baby fat. He’s not a complete liability, and does break a lot of things up but he can’t really be trusted with more important defensive assignments like Laughton can. Hoping a full training camp and the off-season will let him press reset. But AV’s attitude towards the young guys is scary so who knows what him and his confidence will look like.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007

8th best sounds a lot better then 3rd worst, Laughton > Giroux.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

What are Patrick's power play stats this season out of curiosity?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Great goals by Allison. York was great. Amazing backhand bank pass to Voracek on the rush was nice. Maybe he could have been tighter on Oshie, but he is a smol boi. I am sure those that hate ghost, will turn on York in the future.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Comparing raw +/- across teams is worthless in normal scenarios, it's even more worthless with our goaltending

Elliot isn't THAT bad... Hart is the best goalie (fancy stats) in the NHL, Elliot alone can't possibly make our net goaltending "worthless".

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Looks like Elliot absolutely stole this one. Tragic defensive breakdowns again.

What did AV say that has everyone riled up?

Reactions: TheKingPin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Great goals by Allison. York was great. Amazing backhand bank pass to Voracek on the rush was nice. Maybe he could have been tighter on Oshie, but he is a smol boi. I am sure those that hate ghost, will turn on York in the future.

Probably not, since they have very different styles of play.

Ghost was Mt Union, and his dominance of college play led to bad habits that he got away with as long as he could out skate his mistakes. Hakstol tried to get him to play a more fundamentally sound game, but he resisted. Then the injuries piled up, he's no longer an explosive skater and he seems to finally have got the memo, he can't catch his turnovers anymore. But his primary value is as a PP QB, second as a puck mover.

York has a higher hockey IQ than Ghost, you could see it at the WJC-20, in college and even last night. He skates as well or better than current Ghost, but is more careful with the puck. He's also stronger. I don't think he's going to be a dominant offensive force 5x5, rather a dependable two way D-man who gets the puck out of his D-zone, can skate through traffic but prefers the safe pass.

Fans will find York to be more boring than Ghost, but less frustrating.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The last three games are interesting, both the Pens and Caps need these points to finish first for the playoffs, so they're not going through the motions. Which means AV's comments are more about taking pressure off the kids going into training camp, he knows these games count.

Elliott played a good game and gee whiz, we're competitive. Hmm, is there a pattern here? Goalie plays decent, team looks good, goalie gives up soft goals, team looks bad.

NAK played better on the 3rd line, but he simply lacks top nine skills, "look ma, no hands."
Patrick is getting too much abuse, he's playing better, he needs a little puck luck for his confidence and to change perceptions.
At some point you just have to concede that Allison is for real, those weren't fluke goals, one a great shot, the other doing the dirty work in front of the net.

Myers had a rough stretch this season but he seems to be settling down, young players do that, which is why HCs like reliable veterans, they help them sleep better at night.

The player flying under the radar is TK, while the 1st line didn't play well, one thing I've notice is he's becoming a much more reliable player, getting back consistently, last night saved a goal by being at his own net when in the past he'd be hanging around the blue line waiting for a breakout pass.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

And in those last 30 games, Laughton at least has been able to help keep the puck out of his net.

Laughton has been on the ice for 9 goals for...only 5 against

Meanwhile Patrick has been on the ice for 5 goals for....and caved in at 21 against

Not that results like this matter, to some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad