GDT: #52 | FLYERS (H) vs. Penguins (A) | Monday, May, 3, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | ESPN+, NBCSP, ATTSN-PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Scott was asked what makes him think the Flyers are a better team than they showed when they repeatedly fell behind early, struggled mightily on special teams, and didn’t give a full 60-minute effort.

“There’s no excuses for it, but everybody had their own issues with COVID,” he said. “We actually started the season very well, and then we went through COVID. We had a lot of veterans sit. So did a few other teams, but it seemed like when we got everybody back, we could never get it back on track.

We're doomed.

They were getting outplayed in every one of their wins in the first 10 games. I don't expect someone like Scott to know that since he is a corporate lizard, but Fletcher must know it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
"“You look at it, and it’s the coaches’ jobs to make sure the players are ready to play,” he said. “We’ve been showing up not ready to play. I mean, the guys have gotten off to slow starts in, what, 19 of the last 21 games” and allowed the first goal."-Dave Scott
Scott is a businessman not a hockey guy. In business when your area doesn't perform, you get fired. If DS uses that mentality, AV is toast. Scott is not railing on the players. He's looking at the preparation to perform. That's on AV.

It's definitely nice to see someone finally put the blame on the coachs because they refuse to hold themselves accountable and Fletcher hasn't done it either.

Maybe there is a small chance AV is toast afterall.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
They were getting outplayed in every one of their wins in the first 10 games. I don't expect someone like Scott to know that since he is a corporate lizard, but Fletcher must know it.

I think Fletcher knows it, but also knows that the baked-in COVID excuse will fly with Scott

Reactions: BernieParent

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Scott is right in that it starts with goaltending.
You gotta set your goalies up with a system and defensive squad that can actually help them rather then harm them. Our D was outplayed almost all year, partially because they were jumping up to cover our forwards asses who would leave the zone to early. Combined with an abominal zone entry setup where they would either fumble around in the neutral zone for tens of seconds, and result in turn overs...or, as a local sports writer said recently, they played dump and chase but forgot to chase.

Do the goalies, have to play better? Absolutely. However our Defense in front of the goalies needs to be a hell of a lot better. Not a single person on Defense stood out this year as a positive. Provy included.

Scott is right that we need a top defenseman...but we probably also need a second pairing defenseman as well.

On top of that, he is right that we need a goal scorer...but we probably also need two top 6's. We have to many 4th line players playing in the lineup

AV needs to learn to adapt better also...he did very little to ever change his system...he would juggle lines looking for a spark, which resulted in no one having any chemistry, sure. However, he never really addressed the larger issues with zone entries, the power play, pk, team d.

Reactions: macleish1974

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
This is the most hopeless I have ever felt about the Flyers.

At least as Hak's time was winding down we had the young players on the roster, bursting prospect pipeline, and the hope that once Hak was gone, we would take off.

Now we have nothing. Absolutely nothing.

ditto. We have something in that the talent is there, we have nice young players, and solid vets...but are we gunna win? This was a big year for us and we took such a massive step back that its hard to be optimistic unless we see massive change. I don't want to see us making changes to just be competitive for the playoffs (which is what I fear will happen==bad fa signing/trade/expansion), but I want to see changes that make us a contender to win. We had such a massive step back this year that it feels like we are just going to get back to where we were last year ffs

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’ll never get over how much Bill — who works for the team — white knights for the people who don’t deserve it, but he has zero qualms discussing trading active players in tweets. Case in point: Sanheim + Konecny for Ehlers.

Forget value. Ehlers would love some chip and chase hockey.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Here's the most optimistic thing I can say about the 2021-22 Flyers: They have carefully, game brick by game brick, built the persona of the team that does the exact opposite of what they are projected to do. Every time the 'experts' predict a breakout season, they mess the bed. So the more this team is written off as the Island of Misfit Prospects, the more I expect the chaos wheel to land on the narrow wedge of "Great success!"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The future of the club is the young players. AV has a history of wanting/playing veterans. Its not a match unless Fletcher is on with dumping the young guys for meddling vets. I don't think that is going to happen. The organization spent too much time adding the young guys who are just starting to show up and produce in town.
A divorce is the best thing for the Flyers and AV. He'll need the money though. I can't see another franchise ever hiring him as a HC after what has happened here this season. He's managed to tick off just about all of the groups of players on the roster.

Well, either you go get vets or you dump vets, or both. Obviously, the status quo is untenable.

When Couts calls out the team for lack of effort . . .
Truth is, the only veterans who should return are Couts and G, Hayes is unmoveable, but the rest . . .

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
On top of that, he is right that we need a goal scorer...but we probably also need two top 6's. We have to many 4th line players playing in the lineup
.......Plus a top pairing defensemen. Where is all the money going to come from for these purchases (and they will have to be purchases)? As much as I rag on the 4 big contracts. They all (including Hayes sans this year) have been extremely consistent over their careers from a production standpoint. They may not be earning 100% of their contracts at this point but are at least at 80%. The prospects have let them down......

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I've thought since the season started that Fletcher had essentially been planning for the expansion draft. This offseason will likely be the most important offseason in the last 25 years. You are down to the last two years of the flyers having a useful Giroux and a low cost Couturier.

We have no game breaking talent. If there was ever an off-season to go balls to the wall it's this one.

They need to make a major acquisition and they are going to have to sell the farm to get there.

If they don't, then we are spending the next 5 years in purgatory.

Fletcher was planning for the expansion draft because he also thought that the team was capable of making the playoffs and making noise. This was probably the reason nothing major was done this offseason, which many of us wanted/agreed with. Gus wasn't a major move and we got rid of him easily. Fletcher cannot have that mindset next year anymore. He can expect guys like myers, hart, lindblom, Patrick, and frost to get better but that is not enough. This makes it pretty damn scary cus he can potentially make the wrong move. Hopefully he doesn't.....

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think they need to add a lot of talent, but they need to close down the country club.
Islanders are a good example, it's not that they didn't miss JT's production, but they brought in players who played the "Trotz way," with the money they saved on his contract. Less talent but better results, not just b/c Trotz is a good coach, but b/c they brought in players who bought in.

So if we change HCs, we can't stop there, we also need to change culture.

The metrics say this should be one of the better teams in the NHL, the results say they're one of the worst.
Some of this may be coaching, some of this is on the players.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Did you choose to ignore the rest of the article?

"I have complete faith in Fletcher....and AV."

I really hope that this is a sign that the flyers are going to part ways with at least all of the back bench outside of AV.

I've thought since the season started that Fletcher had essentially been planning for the expansion draft. This offseason will likely be the most important offseason in the last 25 years. You are down to the last two years of the flyers having a useful Giroux and a low cost Couturier.

We have no game breaking talent. If there was ever an off-season to go balls to the wall it's this one.

They need to make a major acquisition and they are going to have to sell the farm to get there.

If they don't, then we are spending the next 5 years in purgatory.
Read between the lines. Scott says that basically he talks with Fletcher every day. That would mean that he’s fine with the GM. Scott is not fine with the season and, as a group, he’s not blaming the players or accepting Covid as an excuse. That leaves AV & co. Of course Scott isn’t going to say that AV is down the road in five games but he does, among other things, see a lack of preparedness with the club which is contributing to poor performance. Scott may not be a “hockey guy” but he’s no dope and has had a successful business career. He sees what’s been going on.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Interview with Dave Scott behind a paywall on inquirer.com, says he doesn't think they need to blow it up. They need a top d and another goal scorer as well as a backup goalie. Says they are closer then the record shows.....

welp, heres to another 10 years of mediocrity. The fact that HE is actually saying this is beyond cringe. The guy has no hockey background and is offering his belief as the "owner" of the team, that they don't need to make changes.

Pretty obvious they want Hamilton.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Interview with Dave Scott behind a paywall on inquirer.com, says he doesn't think they need to blow it up. They need a top d and another goal scorer as well as a backup goalie. Says they are closer then the record shows.....

welp, heres to another 10 years of mediocrity. The fact that HE is actually saying this is beyond cringe. The guy has no hockey background and is offering his belief as the "owner" of the team, that they don't need to make changes.

meh, whatever. As Rebs said earlier he isn’t going to show his hand. This is just nothingburger talk

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’ll never get over how much Bill — who works for the team — white knights for the people who don’t deserve it, but he has zero qualms discussing trading active players in tweets. Case in point: Sanheim + Konecny for Ehlers.

Forget value. Ehlers would love some chip and chase hockey.

That thread has like 45+ people attached to it too. :laugh:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The Flyers are going to get trounced tonight and tomorrow night.:cheers:

Jeff Carter in a Pens jersey in philly is also going to be kinda weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad