GDT: #52 | FLYERS (H) vs. Penguins (A) | Monday, May, 3, 2021 | 7:00 pm ET | ESPN+, NBCSP, ATTSN-PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Maybe he is spiteful... IIRC he was on the fire AV train pretty early compared to others. Plenty of their writers talked about AV like Bill Shilltzer does now.

He started slamming him for not adjusting years before many of the other high-profile local writers did, yep. But I don't think Larry likes anybody or could put into words what adjustments actually mean. I'm pretty sure Torts is at the bottom of his list, but AV may not be too much higher. :laugh:

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
He started slamming him for not adjusting years before many of the other high-profile local writers did, yep. But I don't think Larry likes anybody or could put into words what adjustments actually mean. I'm pretty sure Torts is at the bottom of his list, but AV may not be too much higher. :laugh:
Yeah the Torts Brooks conflict was well documented throughout the league. Those two would have epic vitriol levels during pressers.

Reactions: BernieParent

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Here are the options for tonight’s game:

A) 2-1 PIT after the first. Hagg gets 7+ TOI in the first period and gets thrown out there to start the game. A goal will be scored against while he is on the ice.
B) Philly actually plays well, but ends up losing on a soft goal. Giroux looks disappointed on the bench. AV benches Farabee and plays Laughton17 minutes in the game.
C) Hayes plays poorly for the 35the time all year and still gets the 2C role. Patrick plays a decent game as does Morin. Jackson Cates, Minnesota Native, gets his first NHL goal which allows AV to replace NAK with Cates.

or the most likely of scenarios:

D) Philly plays like trash, Pens win, Hagg starts the game, Hayes makes a million low IQ plays like usual, AV matches up the Giroux line with the 4th line for the pens, Farabee is benched, AV creates a line where play drivers need a play driving center, but they get Hayes, and in the presser following a boring loss AV says that we fought hard, Ghost sucks, and Farabee isn’t giving enough effort.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or Ghost flashes in the neutral zone all night but fails to generate any real offense, then allows a Pen to get behind him for a breakaway.

Sanheim and Myers dominate play except for a 2 minute stretch when they can't clear the puck and allow a Pen to park in front of the crease for a tip in goal.

Voracek goes MIA for two periods, then has a spectacular 3rd period skating around the Pens D-zone, maintaining possession only to have his passes intercepted when he refuses to shoot, and when he does shoot, it's a "Braun special," weak ass shot that has the goalie laughing behind his mask.

TK is flying around all night, hits two posts and fires one six inches wide, then runs out of sticks after breaking a half dozen.

Elliott starts, makes 3 great saves, stoning Crosby twice, then gives up two weak goals in a row and the team deflates like a pricked balloon.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Hard to imagine AV walking away from $15M, but stranger things have happened.
Though if he's burned out he might negotiate a settlement.
The future of the club is the young players. AV has a history of wanting/playing veterans. Its not a match unless Fletcher is on with dumping the young guys for meddling vets. I don't think that is going to happen. The organization spent too much time adding the young guys who are just starting to show up and produce in town.
A divorce is the best thing for the Flyers and AV. He'll need the money though. I can't see another franchise ever hiring him as a HC after what has happened here this season. He's managed to tick off just about all of the groups of players on the roster.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Of course we can have hope and happiness, but only temporarily, which makes the subsequent failure all the more painful.

This is the most hopeless I have ever felt about the Flyers.

At least as Hak's time was winding down we had the young players on the roster, bursting prospect pipeline, and the hope that once Hak was gone, we would take off.

Now we have nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hard to imagine AV walking away from $15M, but stranger things have happened.
Though if he's burned out he might negotiate a settlement.
The Grifter already bilked the Flyers for $10M. He can walk and retire now and his great-great grandchildren are already set for life.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t care if AV returns or not.

But I am sick of it always being the coaches’ fault with this team. They’ve gone through a bunch of coaches.

Gee, maybe the fanbase greatly overrates the players?

Maybe the players need to toughen up mentally if they can’t handle AV’s criticism? (Hak never criticized in public, & they stunk under him, too.)

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
They have been through a bunch of coaches but AV and his staff are the worst of the bunch. There are some players on the club that are pretty bad but there are some good ones who have been misused and humiliated by AV. Its the same **** show that he's pulled in other places.

Reactions: Rebels57

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Losing to the devils is one thing. But losing to the pens in similar fashion may be grounds to fire the coach even though that doesn’t make any sense.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
The future of the club is the young players. AV has a history of wanting/playing veterans. Its not a match unless Fletcher is on with dumping the young guys for meddling vets. I don't think that is going to happen. The organization spent too much time adding the young guys who are just starting to show up and produce in town.
A divorce is the best thing for the Flyers and AV. He'll need the money though. I can't see another franchise ever hiring him as a HC after what has happened here this season. He's managed to tick off just about all of the groups of players on the roster.
Plus you can only add so many Vets - salary cap is going to be a problem. The next few years are going to be hairly.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Interview with Dave Scott behind a paywall on inquirer.com, says he doesn't think they need to blow it up. They need a top d and another goal scorer as well as a backup goalie. Says they are closer then the record shows.....

welp, heres to another 10 years of mediocrity. The fact that HE is actually saying this is beyond cringe. The guy has no hockey background and is offering his belief as the "owner" of the team, that they don't need to make changes.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Apparently it’s been cited from a source that the players are unhappy with AV and his criticism of players.

Maybe Flyers’ bad season will have a silver lining: Showing GM Chuck Fletcher he needs to make major changes | Sam Carchidi
"“You look at it, and it’s the coaches’ jobs to make sure the players are ready to play,” he said. “We’ve been showing up not ready to play. I mean, the guys have gotten off to slow starts in, what, 19 of the last 21 games” and allowed the first goal."-Dave Scott
Scott is a businessman not a hockey guy. In business when your area doesn't perform, you get fired. If DS uses that mentality, AV is toast. Scott is not railing on the players. He's looking at the preparation to perform. That's on AV.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
"“You look at it, and it’s the coaches’ jobs to make sure the players are ready to play,” he said. “We’ve been showing up not ready to play. I mean, the guys have gotten off to slow starts in, what, 19 of the last 21 games” and allowed the first goal."-Dave Scott
Scott is a businessman not a hockey guy. In business when your area doesn't perform, you get fired. If DS uses that mentality, AV is toast. Scott is not railing on the players. He's looking at the preparation to perform. That's on AV.

Where was this in the article? Or was this in a different article?

Reactions: TheKingPin

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Did you choose to ignore the rest of the article?

"I have complete faith in Fletcher....and AV."

I really hope that this is a sign that the flyers are going to part ways with at least all of the back bench outside of AV.

I've thought since the season started that Fletcher had essentially been planning for the expansion draft. This offseason will likely be the most important offseason in the last 25 years. You are down to the last two years of the flyers having a useful Giroux and a low cost Couturier.

We have no game breaking talent. If there was ever an off-season to go balls to the wall it's this one.

They need to make a major acquisition and they are going to have to sell the farm to get there.

If they don't, then we are spending the next 5 years in purgatory.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Did you choose to ignore the rest of the article?

"I have complete faith in Fletcher....and AV."

I really hope that this is a sign that the flyers are going to part ways with at least all of the back bench outside of AV.

I've thought since the season started that Fletcher had essentially been planning for the expansion draft. This offseason will likely be the most important offseason in the last 25 years. You are down to the last two years of the flyers having a useful Giroux and a low cost Couturier.

We have no game breaking talent. If there was ever an off-season to go balls to the wall it's this one.

They need to make a major acquisition and they are going to have to sell the farm to get there.

If they don't, then we are spending the next 5 years in purgatory.

I think he missed to post this article:

Blow up the Flyers’ roster? Not necessary, says Dave Scott, the team’s chairman.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Scott was asked what makes him think the Flyers are a better team than they showed when they repeatedly fell behind early, struggled mightily on special teams, and didn’t give a full 60-minute effort.

“There’s no excuses for it, but everybody had their own issues with COVID,” he said. “We actually started the season very well, and then we went through COVID. We had a lot of veterans sit. So did a few other teams, but it seemed like when we got everybody back, we could never get it back on track.

We're doomed.

Reactions: TheKingPin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad