Post-Game Talk: #52| Canadiens 1 at FLYERS 3| Thursday, February 2, 2017

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The game was played, they won. There's no going back and guess what? They looked really good doing it. As a fan, I'm going to enjoy that and hope the next time that TK and Ghost can be responsible enough to be a part of it. I'm assuming the McDavid comparison to either of those two guys is a joke. This team isn't very good, but damn they looked sound last night.

I wasn't comparing them to McDavid, just making a point that "well they won so it doesn't matter" doesn't make sense.

I'm glad they won yesterday, but they didn't win because they were benched, they won in spite of that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The implicit assumption from the Fire Hakstol contingent is that the new coach would do the things we all don't like (like scratching Konecny) less often, but a new coach may well actually do them more often.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The implicit assumption from the Fire Hakstol contingent is that the new coach would do the things we all don't like (like scratching Konecny) less often, but a new coach may well actually do them more often.

Which is exactly why I haven't been on the "fire Hakstol" train. Getting rid of him just switches one idiot for another.

I'm on the "Hakstol is a dumbass train" and I'm the conductor of the "every single coach is a stupid sack of ****" train.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
So?

And maybe next time they lose because they didn't have one of these guys in who could have contributed to a GWG. Or maybe the person who replaces them causes a goal against. Maybe instead of Konecny or Ghost making a nice pass or skating the puck out of the zone the opponent stays in the offensive zone and scores.

Just because it didn't screw them over this time doesn't mean it won't in the future.

If Edmonton scratched McDavid for no reason and they ended up winning, would that be acceptable? Would they then keep him out until they lost? Of course not.

and if Ghost played last night and put the puck into his own net and they lost because of it many would still blame Hakstol for the loss playing that whole it is his fault he is playing the way he is game.
you can only pin a small and I mean a very small amount of blame on the coaching staff for Ghost's struggles this year. Do I agree with some of the scratches he has gotten? no. I have stated that already, but there are many reasons why Ghost is struggling this year and how Hakstol is using him is down on the list of reasons.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This is fair to say.

However, if a new coach makes dumb lineup decisions but we are better than 29th in ES GF%, WORST SINCE 06-07, I will take that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
and if Ghost played last night and put the puck into his own net and they lost because of it many would still blame Hakstol for the loss playing that whole it is his fault he is playing the way he is game.
you can only pin a small and I mean a very small amount of blame on the coaching staff for Ghost's struggles this year. Do I agree with some of the scratches he has gotten? no. I have stated that already, but there are many reasons why Ghost is struggling this year and how Hakstol is using him is down on the list of reasons.

You actually have no idea why he is struggling.

I do know he had 3 goals and 10 points in his first 17 games before he was inexplicably scratched for the first time; and that his game has only been less effective since.

Are his struggles internal and have the coaching staff been working with him on and off the ice to bounce back? I have no idea. Based on Ghost's comments, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of love between them though.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It's not a dumb lineup decision when you win the game. Hakstol's made some questionable decisions, but last night he obviously didn't.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I'm a bit confused...

are you adding on to what I said or do you think I'm arguing against any of the things you said, because I'm not.

I don't blame Hakstol for Ghost's performance this year, but I do think he's doing zero to help him bounce back. Scratching him certainly won't do it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm a bit confused...

are you adding on to what I said or do you think I'm arguing against any of the things you said, because I'm not.

I don't blame Hakstol for Ghost's performance this year, but I do think he's doing zero to help him bounce back. Scratching him certainly won't do it.

Exactamundo.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not a dumb lineup decision when you win the game. Hakstol's made some questionable decisions, but last night he obviously didn't.

Complete nonsense.

Doing something stupid and it not biting you in the ass doesn't make the action not stupid. You just got lucky.

If I point a lit firework towards my eye and it turns out to be a dud that doesn't go off is it then fine to do it again? Obviously it wasn't a bad decision then, right?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Complete nonsense.

Doing something stupid and it not biting you in the ass doesn't make the action not stupid. You just got lucky.

If I point a lit firework towards my eye and it turns out to be a dud that doesn't go off is it then fine to do it again? Obviously it wasn't a bad decision then, right?

Yeah this is akin to saying, "Well I drove home ****-faced drunk but I made it in one piece. Must have been a good call!"

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I wasn't comparing them to McDavid, just making a point that "well they won so it doesn't matter" doesn't make sense.

I'm glad they won yesterday, but they didn't win because they were benched, they won in spite of that.

Agree to disagree, they won because the team went out and played well as a whole. TK and Ghost could've contributed in positive or negative fashion and we have no way of knowing what it would've been. That's why I'm moving on and hoping you are correct. As I've said before, I hate seeing young guys sitting in the press box.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall has said in the past he doesn't like carrying 8 dmen. Last season when we had 8 dmen he put together a trade to get rid of one of them who was a UFA. Hextall is still the GM.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Streit, Schultz, MDZ.... hopefully at least one of them can be moved for a pick.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You actually have no idea why he is struggling.

I do know he had 3 goals and 10 points in his first 17 games before he was inexplicably scratched for the first time; and that his game has only been less effective since.

Are his struggles internal and have the coaching staff been working with him on and off the ice to bounce back? I have no idea. Based on Ghost's comments, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of love between them though.

I have already said I dont always agree with Ghost being benched. But he has struggled with the pressure and teams forcing him to make quicker decisions with the puck. teams are being a lot more aggressive with him last year. of course last year he had a 12 percent shooting percentage

I'm a bit confused...

I am adding to it. probably to the extreme. I do think there is some friction between not just Ghost and Hak but the rest of the coaching staff. Might as well add Hextall into the mix as well because I would be shocked if things like that were not communicated between Hextall and the coaching staff.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You compared their situations, I still thought you were joking.

I was just using an extreme example to illustrate a simple point.

Player A is good. Player B is bad.

Players A get's scratched, Player B plays instead.

Team wins.

Playing Player B over Player A is still a bad idea, even though they won.

Or if you prefer you could read my firework example. ;):laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad